PDA

View Full Version : Graphic card Texture loading problem ?

zerobeta
03-08-08, 04:55 AM
Theres something I notice in almost every game I run, which I have'nt encountered before with other graphic cards.I have an 8800GTS and a Q6600 not overclocked, and with many games I run, like the latest medal of honor, crysis and other recent games, when the level or save finishes loading, I see the game and then the textures starting to load.

I mean as in the first 2 seconds or so I can already play but I see very low quality textures, and then they would load up in a second or two, depending on what game and how big they are I guess, also it can happen after a while I game, then load a previous level or so, not only when starting a game from the desktop.

I was just wondering if this is normal? I have all the drivers etc

ATOJAR
03-08-08, 05:20 AM
Ive noticed this an afew games myself! .... i think it maybe that the level loads so quick that it hasent had time to load properly so it does it while your in there!.... well thats what ive always thought, never really worried about it to be honest!...... am i anywhere near right? lol.

ChuckyQ
03-08-08, 05:58 AM
Theres something I notice in almost every game I run, which I have'nt encountered before with other graphic cards.I have an 8800GTS and a Q6600 not overclocked, and with many games I run, like the latest medal of honor, crysis and other recent games, when the level or save finishes loading, I see the game and then the textures starting to load.

I mean as in the first 2 seconds or so I can already play but I see very low quality textures, and then they would load up in a second or two, depending on what game and how big they are I guess, also it can happen after a while I game, then load a previous level or so, not only when starting a game from the desktop.

I was just wondering if this is normal? I have all the drivers etc

I've seen this too.
Can't remember what games though.
Just think of it this way.
Would you have the textures low quality for a bit or have the game pause for a moment while the textures load up?

My old X1950pro used to wait fo textures to load which made STALKER keep on pausing.
Very annoying.

My XFX 8800GT xXx Zalman VF830 on the other hand has no stutter in STALKER but has had texture corruption due to the temperature it gets to and had to underclock the core to stop the issue.
But still runs very, very hot.

zerobeta
03-08-08, 06:17 AM
So I guess its normal. I just never noticed it before with earlier graphic cards.

My GPU runs @ 80c max in 3D mode, at 60% fan speed... its very hot in summer here. I don't think 80c is anything to worry about tho?

I only noticed this texture loading issue being mentioned in UT3, in some tweak site, as if the game was designed that way, so was wondering if its normal to happen in other games.

Usually games runs smooth even in the second the textures load, but I just loaded a quicksave of crysis in a place with lots of action, and you can assume I had about only 20fps, so then textures took a bit more time to load up, even when the textures were set to medium :o

jolle
03-08-08, 06:34 AM
Think its some sort of texture streaming thing in Unreal Engine 3.
Recall alot of that in Bioshock.

Like its starting with lowest LOD, then updates with higher res, normal maps etc, just after you loaded a savegame.