PDA

View Full Version : 8800GTX colored wiring purpose?

Eltigre88
03-09-08, 12:59 PM
Can someone specify what each color of the 8800GTX wiring is used for IE.. Blue, Green, Black and yellow?

amk21
03-09-08, 03:19 PM
I don't know much about that kind of wiring, but if I had to guess, a hot, neutral and a ground?

What wires are you talking about, some pics could be helpful.

Eltigre88
03-09-08, 05:06 PM
The ones that come off the fan and go to the graphics card.

Lenin
03-09-08, 05:17 PM
I don't know what the colours mean, but a 4-pin fan connection hints at a pwm fan.
Why do you need to know what the colours are for?

Eltigre88
03-09-08, 05:39 PM
I don't know what the colours mean, but a 4-pin fan connection hints at a pwm fan.
Why do you need to know what the colours are for?

Because I'm going to hook my new VF1000 cooler directly to the graphics card fan hook up.

You can see in the pics the colors of both coolers. The original and the new one.

Lenin
03-09-08, 06:00 PM
Because I'm going to hook my new VF1000 cooler directly to the graphics card fan hook up.

You can see in the pics the colors of both coolers. The original and the new one.
You can plug it in one way only.
Also, the fan on the vf1000 is 3-pin only, so I don't know if it would work w/ the 4-pin connection on the vga card.
You'd probably be better of if you connected it to a fan header on your mobo.

Zapablast05
03-09-08, 06:10 PM
Also, the fan on the vf1000 is 3-pin only, so I don't know if it would work w/ the 4-pin connection on the vga card.

+1 Connect it to a fan header.

The 4 pin connector on the GPU is smaller than the 3 pin.

Eltigre88
03-10-08, 01:13 PM

I'm going to remove the pins from the plastic holder and then slide them over their rispective pins, assuming they are the same diameter pins. I will first ensure of the proper pin config. I would assume first 3 pins and the 4th is for the extra wire.

Riva tuner does not work connected to the motherboard header.

john19055
03-10-08, 04:28 PM
I think one of those wires is for temperture control,to speed it up when it starts getting hot.It works just fine connected to a MB fan header or just hooked up to a 4 pin to 3pin adapter.Make sure the fan you are hooking up to the card doe'st draw more amps then the one you take off.

Eltigre88
03-10-08, 08:50 PM
Thanks for all the great info. I'm going to think it over. I will post if I decide to try it. :captnkill: