PDA

View Full Version : Thermalright Ultra 120 X / Arctic Silver question

tjohn
03-10-08, 09:53 AM
Both web sites have different directions for applying thermal compound. Which one should I follow?

RaidenWoW
03-10-08, 09:59 AM
Arctic silver's unless the 120 is ultra weird.

tjohn
03-10-08, 10:05 AM
Weird?

Wolfhound
03-10-08, 10:27 AM
Both web sites have different directions for applying thermal compound. Which one should I follow?

Artic Silver directions, if you are gonna use Artic Silver as thermal paste, if not thermalright directions.

tjohn
03-10-08, 10:50 AM
Artic Silver directions, if you are gonna use Artic Silver as thermal paste, if not thermalright directions.

Thanks.

ViN86
03-10-08, 10:59 AM
i actually follow a practice that i have for years, since i got into computers.

i put a small amount of the CPU, and spread it to the thickness of a sheet of paper. then i place a small amount on the heatsink base (the part that contacts the CPU) and then use a coffee filter (no fibers to come off) to rub the paste into the grooves of the heatsink. then i put it on.

tjohn
03-10-08, 11:06 AM
Well the Arctic Silver site says (for quad core) put a thin horizontal across the middle of the cpu, but nothing on the sink base. I was concerned about that. But I also don't want to use too much.

Amuro
03-10-08, 11:10 AM
i actually follow a practice that i have for years, since i got into computers.

i put a small amount of the CPU, and spread it to the thickness of a sheet of paper. then i place a small amount on the heatsink base (the part that contacts the CPU) and then use a coffee filter (no fibers to come off) to rub the paste into the grooves of the heatsink. then i put it on.
That is so time consuming. I just follow the instructions of the paste manufacturer. I use the AC MX-2 now instead of the AS5, so a bb sized dab on the middle of the IHS is I would do.

Amuro
03-10-08, 11:12 AM
Well the Arctic Silver site says (for quad core) put a thin horizontal across the middle of the cpu, but nothing on the sink base. I was concerned about that. But I also don't want to use too much.
The line method is the correct way to apply AS5, and you don't need to apply it to the heatsink.

ViN86
03-10-08, 11:17 AM
That is so time consuming. I just follow the instructions of the paste manufacturer. I use the AC MX-2 now instead of the AS5, so a bb sized dab on the middle of the IHS is I would do.
time consuming? :wtf:

why the hell would you want to cut corners with hardware? you spent money on it then want to slap it together? :confused:

Amuro
03-10-08, 11:20 AM
time consuming? :wtf:

why the hell would you want to cut corners with hardware? you spent money on it then want to slap it together? :confused:
Not cutting corners. If the instructions said so I would do it, but instructions specifically says do NOT spread.

ViN86
03-10-08, 11:23 AM
Not cutting corners. If the instructions said so I would do it, but instructions specifically says do NOT spread.
lol so they arent accountable if you break something.

Wolfhound
03-10-08, 11:35 AM

Thatīs how I applied it and had very good results.

Amuro
03-10-08, 11:36 AM
lol so they arent accountable if you break something.
What paste do you use? For the AS5, it's a known fact that the thin line application method yields better results than manually spreading the paste.

I remember you said you were having temp problems with your E8400, maybe you should actually try following the intructions.

ViN86
03-10-08, 12:44 PM
What paste do you use? For the AS5, it's a known fact that the thin line application method yields better results than manually spreading the paste.

I remember you said you were having temp problems with your E8400, maybe you should actually try following the intructions.
umm well, if you read what i said then youd see that i said spread the paste out to the thickness of a sheet of a paper with even spreading over the entire headspreader.

secondly, i never complained of having problems with temps (not since i oc'd my athlon xp 2500 about 6 years ago). my temps are actually so low that i think they are being read wrong.

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/9219/56345275ub8.jpg

the instructions i got were from an enthusiast site (cant remember the actual site, tbh i think it was dfi-street, which is diy-street now) and i have always had good results with temperatures and OC'ing. thermal paste is supposed to fill in the very small crevasses in the heatspreader and bottom of the heatsink, since it has better thermal conuctivity than air. i apply a very small amount and spread it very thin with a razor blade.

thx for recommending me to "actually try following the instructions" after you assumed i have temperature problems (i havent had a thread like that since my Athlon XP 2500 oc'd to 3200 speeds). :rofl

RaidenWoW
03-10-08, 02:22 PM
The point I was trying to make was that you should put one | shaped line to just cover the surface. I'd say 2 rice grains worth and just push the heatsink on and twist it a few degrees in both directions to spread it out (without any air bubbles which spreading it with a coffee filter creates).

The best way to spread thermal grease is not to brush it, but to have a dab of it which has no bubbles in it, and just flatten the dab like a pancake.

tjohn
03-10-08, 03:01 PM
I'm definitely going with the horizontal line technique. I'm ordering from Directron soon. Does anyone have an led fan with it? How would that look :)

crainger
03-10-08, 04:10 PM
I usually get a few of the big syringes of AS5. Then smear a paper thin layer all over my body and place a coffee filter on the top of my head and pretend I'm the Tin Man.

::(: If I only had a heart... ::(:

ViN86
03-10-08, 04:27 PM
I usually get a few of the big syringes of AS5. Then smear a paper then layer all over my body and place a coffee filter on the top of my head and pretend I'm the Tin Man.

::(: If I only had a heart... ::(:
LOL

Amuro would do that if the directions called for it.

XDanger
03-10-08, 06:09 PM
MX-2 is supposed to be the best thermal compound at the moment so why use an inferior product?

Xigmatek is very cheap by the way and comes with a fan and thats why I chose it even though inferior to the TRUE ,if I wanted to spend that much I would have got one of these http://specialtech.co.uk/spshop/customer/product.php?productid=4025

Amuro
03-10-08, 09:45 PM
umm well, if you read what i said then youd see that i said spread the paste out to the thickness of a sheet of a paper with even spreading over the entire headspreader.

secondly, i never complained of having problems with temps (not since i oc'd my athlon xp 2500 about 6 years ago). my temps are actually so low that i think they are being read wrong.

the instructions i got were from an enthusiast site (cant remember the actual site, tbh i think it was dfi-street, which is diy-street now) and i have always had good results with temperatures and OC'ing. thermal paste is supposed to fill in the very small crevasses in the heatspreader and bottom of the heatsink, since it has better thermal conuctivity than air. i apply a very small amount and spread it very thin with a razor blade.

thx for recommending me to "actually try following the instructions" after you assumed i have temperature problems (i havent had a thread like that since my Athlon XP 2500 oc'd to 3200 speeds). :rofl
LAMO, dude, I never assume anything, here's your thread where you said it, I did not assume anything:

thx guys, im loving it. my temps are ridiculous. im probably only going to overclock it to 3.6GHz for the time being. over the summer i want to get some faster RAM, so ill shoot for 4+ GHz then. :D
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=1559979#post1559979
And of course that reading could be wrong. You're looking at the Tcase temp which varies from motherboard to motherboard. Look at the core temps, if there's a delta higher than 15C, then that temp reading is not accurate.

And who the hell still spreads thermal paste with today's high performance pastes like AS5 and MX-2 (the best there is right now) any more, thin paper layer or not. The pressure from the heatsink's mounting force takes care of the spreading. Your practice is a technique of the older days when aircoolers performance were so much inferior compared to today's, and when thermal paste came in a plastic bag not a tube.

LOL

Amuro would do that if the directions called for it.
Yes, I would love to do that to your body.

ViN86
03-11-08, 12:39 AM
LAMO, dude, I never assume anything, here's your thread where you said it, I did not assume anything:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=1559979#post1559979
And of course that reading could be wrong. You're looking at the Tcase temp which varies from motherboard to motherboard. Look at the core temps, if there's a delta higher than 15C, then that temp reading is not accurate.

And who the hell still spreads thermal paste with today's high performance pastes like AS5 and MX-2 (the best there is right now) any more, thin paper layer or not. The pressure from the heatsink's mounting force takes care of the spreading. Your practice is a technique of the older days when aircoolers performance were so much inferior compared to today's, and when thermal paste came in a plastic bag not a tube.

Yes, I would love to do that to your body.
the "ridiculous" word probably didnt translate because english probably isnt your first language. in this instance "ridiculous" was meant to mean ridiculously low. anyway, why would i shoot for 4GHz, which is more than 3.6GHz, in the summer (when it's hotter), if i had a problem with temps? that makes no logical sense.

i already said the temp reading was probably wrong. also, i know you really only need paste above the core in the middle of the heatspreader and the force of the heatsink is enough for that. but i like to have optimal heat transfer across the entire heatspreader, so i spread it across the entire thing. some thermalpastes come with brushes, so youre telling me those are not intended to be used to spread it?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118010

idk why you even care about this topic... even the argument your making now that my technique is an old one meant to increase performance of old coolers is a pointless one. by that argument, then what i am doing will just get as much as i can out of my cooler, which is what i want to do anyway.

CapnKirk
03-11-08, 01:29 AM
Yes a thin line for quads when using AS5.

Or, you can do it like the *cough* techs who build 6 grand Blackbirds.

http://img255.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf4859qw1.jpg

I used these to clean up the thermal paste party they had.
http://img373.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf4861gh7.jpg

Clean.
http://img373.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf4865wa6.jpg

Cpu temps dropped 4c after I put the block back with the line method.

Seems the line method they only know about is for snorting.

Amuro
03-11-08, 06:37 AM
the "ridiculous" word probably didnt translate because english probably isnt your first language. in this instance "ridiculous" was meant to mean ridiculously low. anyway, why would i shoot for 4GHz, which is more than 3.6GHz, in the summer (when it's hotter), if i had a problem with temps? that makes no logical sense. .
Yes, it makes perfect sense because in the summer people turn on AC thus room temperatures will be much lower. On the other hand, the logic of saying your temps are ridiculous(ly low) so you're going to leave it at 3.6 for now makes absolutely no sense. If you said you left it at 3.6 beause you had noticed no difference in real world performance when going higher, then it would have made sense.

some thermalpastes come with brushes, so youre telling me those are not intended to be used to spread it?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118010
The Zalman stg1 is a POS. I tried it before. At first I thought it was great, but 9 months later, when I tried to use it again, all of the remaining unused paste in the bottle had degraded so bad that my temps were 10C higher than normal. Stop using that crap and get the MX-2.