PDA

View Full Version : Sweeney: PCs are no good for games (and it's Intel's fault)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

stncttr908
03-10-08, 02:03 PM
I know this topic has been beaten to death, but I think this interview is important. If this was mentioned in the other thread please merge/delete, but a search of "Sweeney" didn't find anything recent related to this. :)

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/36390/118/1/1/

TG Daily: What are your thoughts on the future of the PC as a gaming platform? Is scalability the future – we hear AMD talking about Spider and Nvidia is selling Triple SLI that will keep us upgrading over the next several years. Or did the industry lose its focus?

Sweeney: PC gaming is in a weird position right now. Now, 60% of PCs on the market don't have a workable graphics processor at all. All the Intel integrated graphics are still incapable of running any modern games. So you really have to buy a PC knowing that you're going to play games in order to avoid being stuck with integrated graphics. This is unfortunate, and this is one of main reasons behind the decline of the PC as a gaming platform. That really has endangered high-end PC game sales. In the past, if you bought a game, it would at least work. It might not have been a great experience, but it would always work.

TG Daily: Can that scenario change?

Sweeney: Yes, actually it might. If you look into the past, CPU makers are learning more and more how to take advantage of GPU-like architectures. Internally, they accept larger data and they have wider vector units: CPUs went from a single-threaded product to multiple cores. And who knows, we might find the way to get the software rendering back into fashion. Then, every PC, even the lowest performing ones will have excellent CPUs. If we could get software rendering going again, that might be just the solution we all need. Intel’s integrated graphics just don't work. I don't think they will ever work.

TG Daily: These are harsh words. It looks like Intel has a lot of things coming down the pipe.

Sweeney: They always say ‘Oh, we know it has never worked before, but the next generation ...” It has always been the next generation. They go from one generation to the next one and to the next one. They're not faster now than they have been at any time in the past.
What do you all think of this? I guess this might all go without saying, but the fact is Tim Sweeney and his opinion still pulls a lot of weight.

six_storm
03-10-08, 02:10 PM
I wish integrated graphics were banned from any and every computer ever made from now on. What's the point? And how much more does it cost to put a REAL graphics chipset in a laptop or desktop? I wouldn't say that the decline of PC gaming is because of integrated graphics so to say, but rather on the lack of really good games.

|MaguS|
03-10-08, 02:11 PM
Let see how quickly the PC Elitiest tear apart his interview....

evox
03-10-08, 02:14 PM
BURN THE WITCH!

Tr1cK
03-10-08, 02:20 PM
I think we need to emphasize the difference between workstation and consumer PC. Integrated graphics for a work station is sufficient, consumer level PCs should all meet a minimum requirement of 3D capability. This is much like the failed 'Vista ready' versus 'Vista capable' deal going on.

XDanger
03-10-08, 02:24 PM
I blame dell for locking people into using a bad power supply.

And the pc for not being idiot proof.

And I blame Canada for ATi

K007
03-10-08, 02:25 PM
rofl integrated graphics...wow...

These stuff are made for budget/dads & moms...not for gamers. I would also assume these are the kind of computers you would also buy for workplace as well...

I don't think its possible to integrate a freaking 8800GTX onto a motherboard without having to completely redesign the whole motherboard...which also means new sizes for cases.../sigh...

ATM i think the only thing ****ty for pc users is that the dual cores/quad cores/sm4.1/etc...these features are not being used at its peak efficiency.

Tr1cK
03-10-08, 02:26 PM
I blame dell for locking people into using a bad and proprietary power supply.
fixed

Banko
03-10-08, 02:27 PM
The problem is the casual gamer will rather get a console then even bother finding out what a graphics card is in the first place.

compuguy1088
03-10-08, 02:30 PM
I wish integrated graphics were banned from any and every computer ever made from now on. What's the point? And how much more does it cost to put a REAL graphics chipset in a laptop or desktop? I wouldn't say that the decline of PC gaming is because of integrated graphics so to say, but rather on the lack of really good games.

Agreed, Intel's integrated graphics just plain suck!

None of the machines in my house have any integrated graphics, just PCie and AGP video!

bacon12
03-10-08, 02:31 PM
I blame the "high end" builders. Or better yet so called high end. We who build our own know better, but those that don't think it takes 3 or 4 grand to have a great gaming rig.

2.8 dual core, two gigs of ram, and an 8800gt/9600gt is all you need, and to those specs less than $1000 can be done fairly easy.

I think this is why we are seeing these good performance/fair price offerings from Nv..

stncttr908
03-10-08, 02:41 PM
Integrated graphics have their place, but should generally be reserved for business class machines and NOT the consumer sector.

@bacon12: The new Dell XPS line is fantastic because it definitely is a step towards breaking that mold you've mentioned.

|MaguS|
03-10-08, 02:44 PM
I can agree with how crappy intels intergrated chips are... I can't play **** on my laptop. Im thinking about upgrading my lappy to a cheap sager so I can atleast play The Witcher.

stncttr908
03-10-08, 02:47 PM
I can agree with how crappy intels intergrated chips are... I can't play **** on my laptop. Im thinking about upgrading my lappy to a cheap sager so I can atleast play The Witcher.
Why not a cheap < $500-600 desktop to go with the current lappy? :)

AdamK47
03-10-08, 02:48 PM
I blame the idiots who buy a PC with integrated graphics thinking they can run games just as well as a PS3 or XBox 360 can.

zoomy942
03-10-08, 02:51 PM

agreed. integrated chips are useless. And when someone tries to buy a gaming laptop, they never understand why i say "your graphics chip isnt for gaming." they say "but it's an intel dual core!"

six_storm
03-10-08, 02:55 PM

I thought about doing the same thing, but really, I'd be spending $300+ more just for an NVIDIA solution (8400M) and a little faster of a CPU. Not worth it IMO.

Lyme
03-10-08, 02:55 PM
I blame the idiots who buy a PC with integrated graphics thinking they can run games just as well as a PS3 or XBox 360 can.

You can't expect the average Joe to have a clue, it is a problem of the sales people simply lying to the public about what the computer can do. The justification: to make a sale.

six_storm
03-10-08, 02:56 PM
agreed. integrated chips are useless. And when someone tries to buy a gaming laptop, they never understand why i say "your graphics chip isnt for gaming." they say "but it's an intel dual core!"

Exactly. I dunno why they sell laptops with the Intel X3100 in them because you can't play ANYTHING on it! I'm sure that you couldn't play WoW on it, there's no way.

K007
03-10-08, 02:56 PM

This is true.

Integrated graphic cards are what they are. They have there place.

If we were to follow what this guy wanted...we would still be playing Doom2 graphics quality...probably Wold3D.

First it was piracy that was destroying PC gaming...apperntly going to die very soon...again...

Now its integrated graphic cards...

Whats next....sound cards? Keyboards?..no wait..let me guess...the case...

Tr1cK
03-10-08, 02:59 PM
Exactly. I dunno why they sell laptops with the Intel X3100 in them because you can't play ANYTHING on it! I'm sure that you couldn't play WoW on it, there's no way.
I play WoW on a $20 Radeon X550 on my work PC. Granted it's no rocket, but it does play decent at 800x600 with most options mid-high, 2x AA, and a ton of mods.

K007
03-10-08, 03:02 PM
I play WoW on a $20 Radeon X550 on my work PC. Granted it's no rocket, but it does play decent at 800x600 with most options mid-high, 2x AA, and a ton of mods.

WoW isen't exactly graphics game breaker. It also needs a good cpu since most of the areas contain alot of npcs/players.

But then again, this is exactly how blizzard works. Which is a good thing, more players, more money, where as Crysis is on the other end ><.

Richteralan
03-10-08, 03:02 PM
Hell, I got Gateway P-6831FX Laptop with 3GB RAM, 8800M GTS for only $1200...
talking about budget gaming...:afro:

methimpikehoses
03-10-08, 03:17 PM
BURN THE WITCH!

:rofl

SeriTonin
03-10-08, 03:23 PM
I'm sick of these random comments by developers. Go work on a game and stfu.