PDA

View Full Version : Corsair 2x1GB PC2-8500 FAIL!

Technoholic
03-10-08, 03:59 PM
So... Today, this morning, I used my computer briefly, all ran fine.

Then I went to take a nap and woke up and found my computer in boot screen, frozen. I rebooted, and motherboard bios were returned to default settings. Wtf? I rebooted again, same thing. I let it go... then suddenly, my computer won't boot up anymore.

It turns on, but nothing on screen. Basically no POST. I tried clearing CMOS, FAIL! I tried taking out one stick of RAM, PASS!

I guess this RAM has decided to take a crap on me!

Corsair XMS2 2x1GB PC2-8500. Be aware of this happening to you whoever has the same RAM!

I'm going to RMA it soon, and order other set of RAM. But does anyone know which RAM has a good quality that last long? Or we have to expect our RAM to crap on us one day?

john19055
03-12-08, 04:58 AM
Are you sure it is the ram,have you tried a different stick that works.Have you tried the ram in a different computer.I have always had great luck with Corsair ram and it hard to believe that both sticks would go bad at the same time.

Technoholic
03-12-08, 11:59 AM
If you read carefully. Unless you need a translation.

One stick went bad, one is fine.

styles-T
03-13-08, 01:27 AM

styles-T
03-13-08, 01:27 AM
thats a great brand and specs. s*** happens i wouldnt stress it.

Technoholic
03-13-08, 01:35 AM
thats a great brand and specs. s*** happens i wouldnt stress it.
Indeed.

I got Tracer now. I'm waiting on Corsair's response...

Muppet
03-13-08, 02:24 AM
It's just bad luck really. I have the same spec Dominators. I've had them for over 1 1/2 years. I have put up to 2.4 volts and all sorts of clocks through them. Never had any issues. If they are still under warranty, i'm sure Corsair will come to the party.
It is nice memory you have now though. I really can't get over how cheap DDR2 is at the moment. Its a pity we can't say the same about Graphics cards.

Technoholic
03-13-08, 04:00 AM
It's just bad luck really. I have the same spec Dominators. I've had them for over 1 1/2 years. I have put up to 2.4 volts and all sorts of clocks through them. Never had any issues. If they are still under warranty, i'm sure Corsair will come to the party.
It is nice memory you have now though. I really can't get over how cheap DDR2 is at the moment. Its a pity we can't say the same about Graphics cards.
I know. It's also a bitch when you don't know when they drop their prices like DDR3 for example, it drops in a blink.

I did not mind having DDR3 even though they're not really benefiting. If I knew that the DDR3 were gonna drop in prices, $200 is not too much to me to get.

But otherwise, the Tracer boots up at speced timings, but volts is not what I'm sure, but I manually set them to 2.1 anyway. I saw the specification on Newegg it's 2.2, but it works great at 2.1.

Amuro
03-13-08, 04:12 AM
I have two Corsair PC2-8500C5D Dominator 2GB kits, and the first one DOA'ed. One stick was bad. But since the RAM carries a lifetime warranty, it doesn't really matter... took me a trip to the distributor's office to get it replaced that was all.

Technoholic
03-13-08, 01:33 PM
I have two Corsair PC2-8500C5D Dominator 2GB kits, and the first one DOA'ed. One stick was bad. But since the RAM carries a lifetime warranty, it doesn't really matter... took me a trip to the distributor's office to get it replaced that was all.
Distributor's office? Explain some more?

LORD-eX-Bu
03-13-08, 04:42 PM
my Corsair dominators took a dump too.. oh well, 4gb G.skill kit ftw! :nana:

Amuro
03-14-08, 12:11 AM
Distributor's office? Explain some more?
Most products that go on sale here have local distributors/wholesalers, who are also responsible for warranty services for the products they carry. So basically we don't have to deal with the manufacturers directly for RMAs.

The Corsair distributor here is very nice. They also carry products from Asus, Coolermaster, Antec, etc. My friend had a bad Asus mobo with a burned cap, and they fixed it for him in 30 minutes.

Technoholic
03-14-08, 12:33 AM
Most products that go on sale here have local distributors/wholesalers, who are also responsible for warranty services for the products they carry. So basically we don't have to deal with the manufacturers directly for RMAs.

The Corsair distributor here is very nice. They also carry products from Asus, Coolermaster, Antec, etc. My friend had a bad Asus mobo with a burned cap, and they fixed it for him in 30 minutes.
So you mean that if I had Best Buy near by and they sell same RAM as I have, and I had a failed RAM where I got through Newegg, I can get replacement at Best Buy?

Amuro
03-14-08, 12:57 AM
So you mean that if I had Best Buy near by and they sell same RAM as I have, and I had a failed RAM where I got through Newegg, I can get replacement at Best Buy?
Best Buy is just a retailer right? So I don't think you can do that. You have to contact Corsair or whoever Newegg got their RAM from.