PDA

View Full Version : Is My CPU Fried?

solofortne
04-29-03, 04:37 AM
Hey everyone, I was just installing a new AthlonXP 2400+ into an Abit KX7-333 motherboard. When I was putting the heatsink on the processor, I pulled it off after I had attached it the first time to make sure that it was making a good connection with the core. It was, so I wiped the arctic silver off, re-applied and put the heatsink back on.

Next, I plugged it in, turned it on and it booted into BIOS. After about 30 seconds in the BIOS menu it froze, and I had to hold the power button to turn it off. I then turned it back on and all of the fans were running but no signal appeared on the monitor. The green and orange diagnostic lights stay solid when it runs and after about 10 seconds it makes a single beep, then silence for another 10 seconds, then beeps again and so on. Abit didn't include any information about beep codes in the manual so I have no idea what this means.

I suspected a case short so I removed the motherboard and put it on a piece of cardboard outside of the case, but the problem was still there, so I removed the heatsink and I could see that only a small part of the core had been contacting the heatsink. After mounting the heatsink a few different times I realized that sometimes it was making a good connection and sometimes it wasn't. Even after re-mounting the heatsink it still wouldn't work. The processor doesn't smell like it's burnt and there are no scorch marks.

I'm just looking for some opinions on whether or not, judging from my description, anyone thinks the cpu is fried or not. Thanks in advance for any input.

john19055
04-29-03, 09:18 AM
Have you taking everything a part on started over mounting your motherboard back in and making sure no screws or nothing touching your motherboard that should'nt be,then reset everthing and make sure your memory is fully seted and make sure none of the thermal paste is touching the cpu where it should'nt be.Best to make sure you clean the cpu with some alcohol so you no it is cleaned.

solofortne
04-29-03, 10:26 AM
I've tried reseating just about everything, I didn't have any rubbing alcohol so I just wiped the arctic silver off as best I could. I also tried clearing the cmos and a different video card too.

Greg
04-29-03, 10:32 PM
Does sound like its dead. Hope you find it isn't though.

Next time you insert a CPU for the first time do this:

1) Install minimal components to prevent damage, or confuse problems.

2) Keep case open so you can see fans etc and turn on power switch on PSU or wall socket (if no switch on PSU). Watch that the CPU fan is spinning or else turn off immediately.

3) During first boot attemp, get to the BIOS with 'del' or other key. Immediately go to the sensor screen and watch the temperatures rise. Make sure the temperatures rise at a slower rate and peek at a reasonable temperature eg. 50-60deg max for extrenal CPU sensor. 10deg above this you will get freezes even in the bios. These freezes or black screens may be fatal if temp went too high.

I am not sure of the danger using cooked CPU in motherboards. I have personally not damaged a mother board from a bad CPU, and I can't remember what others have reported.

The Baron
04-29-03, 10:59 PM
Just a bad processor.

jonjay
04-30-03, 09:13 AM
It sounds like you haven't put your heatsink on properly.

1) Take of the heatsink.
2) Clean core with White Spirit, Alcohol or Nail Varnish Remover with a clean cloth or a cotton bud.
3) Put a very very thin layer of artic silver on the core. Make sure its really smooth and it covers the core completely. Note it has to be as thin as possible and smooth otherwise bubbling will occur and won't conduct properly.
4) Put on Heatsink, make sure you don't move it when your putting it on otherwise you will ruin the grease you put on the core.

It should work I hope. CPU's got their own shutoff temp so I doubt your cpu is dead.

solofortne
04-30-03, 03:33 PM
Hey everyone, thanks for all the replies. I just tried the processor in another motherboard and it works! The only thing is, when I tried installing windows, it would start loading all of those drivers at the very beginning and right when it would say 'Starting Windows' at the part where you choose which partition to install windows on and everything, it would just turn off and an alarm sound would start coming from the pc speaker until i unplugged the power cord.

It kept doing this every time, but then I was messing around in the BIOS and I turned off the bios shadowing options, and then it worked and I was able to begin installing windows. The only thing is, it was going extremely slow and took forever just to copy the installation files. Then, when it got to the actual windows installation it turned off again and made the alarm sound again.

The motherboard is an MSI KT4V, the manual didn't say anything about an alarm sound, and I couldn't find anything about it online. Does anyone know what it could mean?

solofortne
05-01-03, 02:32 AM
Ok, I replaced the motherboard again, this time with a Soyo Dragon KT333 and so far everything seems to be working fine. The only problem I've had is that Hitman 2 freezes when I run it but other games work fine so I think that's some kind of software issue.

I can't believe the bad luck I've had while putting this system together. First, my Abit kx7-333 that I had sitting around turns out to be bad, so then I go to CompUSA and buy an MSI motherboard and that is also screwed up. Finally this Soyo Dragon seems to be working great. Thanks for all the help.

jonjay
05-01-03, 02:18 PM
Just one of those things mate, it happens! I tend to keep to Asus motherboards, they may not always be the fastest but they sure are quality motherboards.

Greg
05-03-03, 11:13 PM
Now download MemTest86 http://www.memtest86.com/ , make the test disk and test your CPU & RAM for 12hours or so. If it has no errors, you can be fairly confident your hardware is stable. Then you can try getting your software stable...

NAZCA M12
05-24-03, 01:15 AM
Yes, and as for the Hitman 2 problem, it might be a sound issue. Lot's of people had problems with the full hardware acceleration, so open your Direct X panel and in the Sound options, set the slider in the Hardware Sound Acceleration Level in the middle and try again.

ProtoStab
06-06-03, 11:24 AM
Solofortne,

Just a thought, I had a similar problem with my Soyo K7ada mobo. I thought it was dead, I started playing aroung trying a few different things. My fix was to reset one of the jumpers and remove the small battery for 10 minutes. Don't ask me. I tried each individually and it didn't work, but both at the same time worked great. LOL! :) Then after all that I went and bought a SY-KT400 DRAGON Ultra (Platinum Edition). I'll have another pc for the old mobo. Like I said, it's just a thought that worked for me.

Later,
ProtoStab