PDA

View Full Version : Scarface on Vista

NaitoSan
03-12-08, 06:01 AM
After watching the movie (awesome movie), I'm in mood to play Scarface but I remember people saying it doesn't work under Vista. Anyone know? If so, is there a fix for that?

crainger
03-12-08, 08:01 AM
Nope. Nothing. ::(:

NarcissistZero
03-12-08, 08:02 AM
Weird... glad I never bought it.

Is there a list somewhere of games that really, truly just will NOT run in Vista? Last time I saw a list it was insanely wrong, listed games like F.E.A.R. and Splinter Cell which work perfectly.

jdspinna
03-12-08, 08:11 AM
I'm pretty sure I had Vista installed when I was playing it. I'll double check and let you know.

nekrosoft13
03-12-08, 09:11 AM
I have the game, but I haven't tried it since February 07, maybe its fixed now. No idea.

Problem was that game was developed not following DX guidelines, it was some weird renderer/engine issue.

conroejoe
03-12-08, 10:04 AM
Its some DX issue with Vista and no it's not fixed. Vista broke it and from what I got unless they change something with DX in Vista it will never work right. Missing textures, the game still actually plays.

Still works fine in XP, XP ftw.

nekrosoft13
03-12-08, 10:22 AM
Its some DX issue with Vista and no it's not fixed. Vista broke it and from what I got unless they change something with DX in Vista it will never work right. Missing textures, the game still actually plays.

Still works fine in XP, XP ftw.

conroejoe you are funny, vista didn't broke it, that part of DX was broken in XP, and scarface developer didn't follow the DX guidelines, instead they took shortcuts.

Reynaldo
03-12-08, 10:46 AM
Actually, Scarface uses OpenGL, not DX.

WeReWoLf
03-12-08, 12:46 PM
That's the problem. Because running OpenGL is different through Vista, Vivendi/Sierra need to release an update which fixes that problem, but from what i've read/seen/heard they don't plan on doing that anytime soon.

NarcissistZero
03-12-08, 05:41 PM
Other OpenGL games work perfectly in Vista though, so it must have something to do with their process...

NaitoSan
03-12-08, 05:58 PM
damn that sucks. my brother too has problem getting it to work under vista. a lot of graphical errors going on. guess consoles' only the way to go. i wish they'd upgrade the game to take advantage of 360/ps3.

that's why pc gaming can be so sucky sometimes because of this!

conroejoe
03-12-08, 06:02 PM
damn that sucks. my brother too has problem getting it to work under vista. a lot of graphical errors going on. guess consoles' only the way to go. i wish they'd upgrade the game to take advantage of 360/ps3.

that's why pc gaming can be so sucky sometimes because of this!

Just load XP. works a treat :)

conroejoe
03-12-08, 06:03 PM
that part of DX was broken in XP, and scarface developer didn't follow the DX guidelines, instead they took shortcuts.

Not true, I played through it in XP, worked fine in XP.

nekrosoft13
03-12-08, 06:44 PM
Actually, Scarface uses OpenGL, not DX.

actually its DX

Scarface: The World is Yours Download Minimum System Requirements

Windows(R) 2000/XP
Windows Vista is not supported on this title
Pentium(R) 4 1.8 GHz or AMD(R) equivalent
256 MB RAM
DirectX(R) 9.0c-compatible video card (ATI(R) Radeon(R) 9200 or NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) FX 5500 with 128 MB RAM) or higher
DirectX(R) 9.0c-compatible sound card and speakers or headphones
Microsoft(R)-compatible mouse and keyboard
3 GB of uncompressed hard drive space

http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/9831/img1887fx0.jpg

very broken DX9 renderer, but still DX9

NaitoSan
03-12-08, 08:58 PM
i don't want to install xp just for one game. :p

nekrosoft13
03-12-08, 10:10 PM
Not true, I played through it in XP, worked fine in XP.

DX had a loop hole in XP that was not part of DX guidelines (there fore broken) developers used that loop hole, so game "worked".

when that loop hole got fixed in vista, game stoped working

WeReWoLf
03-13-08, 12:15 AM
Eh, i just want them to fix the damn game... Such a fun game too :(