PDA

View Full Version : Epic: Unreal Engine 4 in development for next-gen consoles

Pages : [1] 2 3

NarcissistZero
03-12-08, 11:39 PM
Not to start another Epic bashing thread, but I thought this was interesting. (http://kotaku.com/367219/unreal-engine-4-targeting-consoles-not-pcs)

A quote from Tim Sweeny:

There is a long life ahead for Unreal Engine 3. Version 4 will exclusively target the next console generation, Microsoft's successor for the Xbox 360, Sony's successor for the Playstation 3 - and if Nintendo ships a machine with similar hardware specs, then that also. PCs will follow after that.

SH64
03-12-08, 11:42 PM
"PC's well follow" ?? what a lame :thumbdwn:

looks like we will be stuck with the UE3 & UE3.5 for a while ..

sharvin
03-12-08, 11:45 PM
retards it's suppose to be the other way around, the only reason they think pc gaming is dying is because they are giving us engines designed for a weaker system.

evox
03-12-08, 11:46 PM
http://www.wired.com/images/article/full/2007/10/alt_text_team_fortress_350px.jpg

I hope someone gets the reference :p

compuguy1088
03-13-08, 12:31 AM
http://www.wired.com/images/article/full/2007/10/alt_text_team_fortress_350px.jpg

I hope someone gets the reference :p

I get it.....Epic is Pwned!!!

DoubleDeuce
03-13-08, 12:39 AM
Not surprising, but totally suxors. :(

evox
03-13-08, 12:41 AM
Actually, that meant Epic is backstabbing PC gamers:p

nrdstrm
03-13-08, 01:15 AM
That is a shame, but not a surprise after M. Reins comments...I wonder what Sweeney things about that? Man, I miss Jakup and I being able to go to E3...LOL

AngelGraves13
03-13-08, 01:46 AM
Considering how scalable and cross-platform the Unreal Engine is, I don't see this as a big deal. Next generation consoles will probably be more powerful than PCs when they launch (for a year or two until PCs catch up). Either way, it'll still be an impressive engine and spawn an impressive amount of games for consoles and PCs. Can't wait!

egamer11
03-13-08, 02:45 AM

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=532
the murder maybe is John Carmack:captnkill:

K007
03-13-08, 02:51 AM
Considering how scalable and cross-platform the Unreal Engine is, I don't see this as a big deal. Next generation consoles will probably be more powerful than PCs when they launch (for a year or two until PCs catch up). Either way, it'll still be an impressive engine and spawn an impressive amount of games for consoles and PCs. Can't wait!

Wait..what...?!

I bet UE4 will be close to CryEngine2....close...

evox
03-13-08, 03:04 AM
Wait..what...?!

I bet UE4 will be close to CryEngine2....close...
He's right, sort of. When X360 was launched, it's specs were similar to a high-end pc you could buy at that time. AMD X2 4800+, 2GB Ram, 7800GTX but it was available at a much lower price.

On the other hand, when PS3 was launched, you already had 8800GTX which when coupled with C2D X6800 would obliterate PS3. It all depends on where the technology is at that point. In the future, I'd say both PC/Consoles will be very close in terms of specs. PCs will always be technologically superior, but PS4/X720 will probably be neck-to-neck (atleast on launch/paper) when compared to a modern day PC.

nekrosoft13
03-13-08, 06:21 AM

when a new console launch, usually their are about the same as PC or slightly less powerful, but 6+ months console fell behind.

agentkay
03-13-08, 06:22 AM
High-end PCs were able to outperform the 360 since day 1.

Oh and consoles suck and so does Epic. Glad I didn't buy a game from them in a long time.

Buio
03-13-08, 07:29 AM
High-end PCs were able to outperform the 360/PS3 since day 1.

Edited in PS3. But yeah that is true. When games has to run lower res than 720p to run smooth you know the consoles aren't as strong as they seem. Low resolution, low res textures, no AF, little AA etc.

six_storm
03-13-08, 08:18 AM
What a bunch of complainers.

crainger
03-13-08, 08:33 AM
It's too cold here.

There are teenagers outside.

six_storm wont take me out anywhere.

evox
03-13-08, 08:34 AM
What a bunch of complainers.
That's how we roll:cool:

SeriTonin
03-13-08, 08:51 AM
When consoles first release, they're always graphically ahead of what pc's have at the time.

And seeing as Epic has already stated their new direction of console games, first, I don't find this all that surprising.

Hopefully UE4 will be a lot more impressive than UE3 - for it's time, when it arrives.

Cause regardless to what a lot of you think, I feel UE3 looks like complete ass. :thumbdwn:

Badboy_12345
03-13-08, 09:00 AM
when a new console launch, usually their are about the same as PC or slightly less powerful, but 6+ months console fell behind.

actually in the specs they wont be more powerfull.
Its beacuse consoles are closed enviroment and developers can optimize the game for that hardware. And consoles dont have a huge OS that slows everything down.

So the games for new consoles the first year will look better than anything pc can run at the same fps.

a pc needs MUCH more power to run the same thing a console can with lesser specs

3DBrad
03-13-08, 11:30 AM
actually in the specs they wont be more powerfull.
Its beacuse consoles are closed enviroment and developers can optimize the game for that hardware. And consoles dont have a huge OS that slows everything down.

So the games for new consoles the first year will look better than anything pc can run at the same fps.

a pc needs MUCH more power to run the same thing a console can with lesser specs

No, consoles now have an OS to worry about, and actually, the PS3 is hurt by the OS more than the 360.

Noriega
03-13-08, 11:37 AM

PC twice or trice his power every 2 years.

JigenD
03-13-08, 11:43 AM
High-end PCs were able to outperform the 360 since day 1.

Oh and consoles suck and so does Epic. Glad I didn't buy a game from them in a long time.

so bitter, lol.

Day one 360 was better than any PC you could buy...

Noriega
03-13-08, 11:50 AM
so bitter, lol.

Day one 360 was better than any PC you could buy...

Day one xbox games sucked.

Something really BIG shows GoW taht Launched when 8800GTX were avaible and as we can see the 8800GTX can run GoW with better testures in higher resolutions so Epic could make GoW for PC at 2006 but it didn't happened cause EPIC employees sucked my di*k.

JigenD
03-13-08, 12:07 PM
Day one xbox games sucked.

Something really BIG shows GoW taht Launched when 8800GTX were avaible and as we can see the 8800GTX can run GoW with better testures in higher resolutions so Epic could make GoW for PC at 2006 but it didn't happened cause EPIC employees sucked my di*k.

A lot of the first 360 games did suck, but some were easily better than any PC could do at the time graphically.

Kameo, PDZ, PGR3...

IMO, GoW was NEVER good looking on 360. I didn't like the game at all.