PDA

View Full Version : have you ever had an lcd NOT get dust behind the screen??

jeffmd
03-13-08, 10:56 AM
Ok, this is starting to piss me off just a bit. My dell 2005wfp came with a piece of dust behind the lcd (its on the light spreader), my zen vision M which is kept flawless thanks to the invisible shield now has dust behind the plastic case. And now my 1+ year old dell laptop has a dust spec between the lcd and light spreader.

WTF! Is it so god damn hard to seal this crap up so its dust free? hard drives and light bulbs have been doing it for decades now, I think we got the technology a little perfected dont you think? does everyone in the lcd manufacturing world suck?

amk21
03-13-08, 05:57 PM
I guess I'm not that anal about how clean my lcds are, but I never noticed any dust behind my lcd....

nekrosoft13
03-13-08, 06:42 PM
one of my screens got dust behind the screen

amk21
03-13-08, 07:15 PM
Does the dust go straight through the screen?, or slide in through one of the sides?

einstein_314
03-13-08, 10:31 PM
Does the dust go straight through the screen?, or slide in through one of the sides?
I think it goes in around the edges....don't know how it would go through the screen...it's not like a membrane or something...

I've never noticed any dust in any LCD I've owned....my 4 year old 17"er is still pristine. 24" Dell is also clean.

At the OP,

It's not as simple as you may think to seal something up air tight. Hard drives are completely different because they are a) made of metal and b) are sealed with gaskets and stuff. Monitors on the other hand, are just mostly plastic parts snapped together. To make a perfect seal you would need quite a bit of clamping force along the whole outside of the screen. That isn't going to happen.

amk21
03-13-08, 10:51 PM
I think it goes in around the edges....don't know how it would go through the screen...it's not like a membrane or something...

I've never noticed any dust in any LCD I've owned....my 4 year old 17"er is still pristine. 24" Dell is also clean.

At the OP,

It's not as simple as you may think to seal something up air tight. Hard drives are completely different because they are a) made of metal and b) are sealed with gaskets and stuff. Monitors on the other hand, are just mostly plastic parts snapped together. To make a perfect seal you would need quite a bit of clamping force along the whole outside of the screen. That isn't going to happen.
I seems as though lcds screens have some semi permiable membrane qualities, as though small particles of dust could be obsorbed over long periods of time, if the surface area is not cleaned. Many plastics and other materials that are used to make lcd screens are used as filters in in labs in order to sort out certain sized cells or particles. I think that the same properties can be applied here.

I did some research over the summer at the University of Pittsburgh's biomedical reasearch department, which is where I am basing some of my information off of.

nemecb
03-14-08, 09:59 AM
Hmm, never noticed it with my monitor screens. Almost every cell phone I've ever seen has had dust behind the screen though.

Dr.Nick
03-14-08, 10:41 AM
I swiffer (http://swiffer.com/swiffer/en_US/duster.do) mine ever day and never had an issue with dust. It might also be because I do that same little ghey dance they do in the commercials while dusting it, not sure.

amk21
03-14-08, 10:35 PM
I swiffer (http://swiffer.com/swiffer/en_US/duster.do) mine ever day and never had an issue with dust. It might also be because I do that same little ghey dance they do in the commercials while dusting it, not sure.
I you serious(not about the ghey dance, I know you do that) about using a swiffer on your your nice 24", or your beautiful 42".

Dr.Nick
03-15-08, 10:59 AM
hahaha, what makes you say that? Swiffers are pretty nice for dusting. I spread the things open and they are super soft inside. I don't recommend using them directly on the screen itself -although I do give them a quick and very light pass, barely touching- but they are great for the body part of the monitors. They are also the reason that after all this time I'm the only one I know with a scratch free ps3. My buddies thought theirs were with no scratches but shine a light on them and you see tons on scratches. Of course always use a new one and start with the good stuff first, like don't dust your tables then go do your tv or ps3.

einstein_314
03-16-08, 01:00 PM
I just use a feather duster on mine. Keeps the dust off. Every now and then I use a damp cloth to get the fingerprints and smudges off.

Dragunov
03-16-08, 02:10 PM
no problems here

amk21
03-16-08, 02:39 PM
I don't even know if I would notice if I had a few specs of dust behind my lcd.... I had a dead pixel in the corner of m screen that I never saw, until a friend pointed it out to me.

XDanger
03-18-08, 02:51 PM
I thought I had a large dead pixel on my tv ,
Until a friend told me the tv was turned off.jk... I don't have any friends lol

Absolution
03-18-08, 10:25 PM
I've never had dust in my LCD's.

amk21
03-19-08, 12:28 AM
I've never had dust in my LCD's.
thats what they want you to think:(