PDA

View Full Version : Please assist me with jerky/stuttery video playback!

ajm786
03-13-08, 03:56 PM
On the rig in my sig. Whenever I playback video, in general Divx files, they ALWAYS jerk and stutter. What happens is that it will look like the video is playing fine, but once you start getting into the video, you'll see momentary hitches every now and then. It looks like the video freezes, and then speeds up to catch up to the audio. The audio itself never hitches or stutters, it's only the video. CPU usage never goes above 25% at any time, so there's really no CPU spikes. I've tried everything, BIOS updates, video card driver updates, chipset driver reinstall/updates, sound card driver updates, uninstalling/reinstalling codecs, you name it.

What happened next is that when I went to work and tried it on my workstation, which has an Asus P5B, Core2 6320 and nVidia 8600GT, it DOES THE SAME THING!!!

So I tried getting rid of all codecs, and installed FFDshow. It seems better now, but every so often, I'll still get a momentary hitch.

FFDshow's video codec has a feature that will allow you to analyze the video stream. What I'm seeing is that whenever the hitches occur, the video stream will drop frames. It's directly correlated.

What gives, and how can I remedy this annoying behavior?

Thanks for all your help.

daforce
03-14-08, 04:21 AM
My advice, would be to uninstall all codecs that you have installed.. ffdshow..kazaa lite codec pack..whatever.. get em off :)
Then download Media Player Classic, and koepi's xvid codec. And see how you go with that. If you need more codecs which you probably wont, just download only the ones you need.. packs are generally more trouble than they are worth.
The Coreavc codec is also really good for x264 stuff.

ajm786
03-14-08, 08:20 AM
My advice, would be to uninstall all codecs that you have installed.. ffdshow..kazaa lite codec pack..whatever.. get em off :)
Then download Media Player Classic, and koepi's xvid codec. And see how you go with that. If you need more codecs which you probably wont, just download only the ones you need.. packs are generally more trouble than they are worth.
The Coreavc codec is also really good for x264 stuff.

I think I've got the problem licked, but I'm testing further.

I simply moved my second hard drive OFF of the same SATA channel my OS hard drive is on, and moved it on to the SATA channel that my DVDRW is on. I don't know if this is going to prove detrimental (it shouldn't), but then again, why was it detrimental to put 2 drives on the same channel?

daforce
03-14-08, 08:40 AM
Sata channels are all individual. Hence there is only 1 connecter per cable.

Perhaps the sata cable was running past something that was causing interference. Strange needless to say.

walterman
03-14-08, 09:28 AM
If you have problems only with h264 video, it could be caused by the h264 + mkv + dxva problem. In this case, try with a software only player like VLC.

If not, check if your problems are caused by IRQ steering (you must disconnect almost all your devices to test this).

Hope this helps.

ajm786
03-14-08, 10:38 AM
Sata channels are all individual. Hence there is only 1 connecter per cable.

Perhaps the sata cable was running past something that was causing interference. Strange needless to say.

I did some more testing last night. Videos no longer needlessly jump and stutter, although there are TINY hitches every now and then, very infrequently.

If what you are saying is true (and I'm not disputing you, you're actually right), then would could the explanation be for causing such video performance degradation by moving the drive to a different SATA channel? A one that is not on the same channel as the primary OS drive? Would this perhaps have to do with the fact that my main OS drive is a Western Digital, while the other drive is a Samsung? Perhaps cache difference (WD is 16MB, others are 8MB)???

zarlaan
03-14-08, 08:47 PM
I'm not understanding how you moved your drive to a different channel then what your OS was on. Each SATA connection is numbered usually starting at 0, 1, 2, etc. You can only have 1 SATA drive connected to each of those channels.

The only reason I could think that moving the drive to another SATA connection is perhaps that connection you had it on may be faulty, which would be strange in itself as its just the 1 chip controlling all the connections, maybe faulty solder for the connection?

Either way I've experienced the same problem in the past after messing around with codecs and drivers. Once I cleaned all the drivers and codecs out and just used Nero Showtime all my stuttering went away. Drive fragmentation can also be a problem.

sniviler
03-14-08, 09:16 PM
Its actually 2 drives per controller 0+1, 2+3

in your device manager View devices by connection.

VLC has the best playback on my system compared to WMP which studders when the video is recorded below 24fps

ajm786
03-14-08, 09:57 PM
Its actually 2 drives per controller 0+1, 2+3

in your device manager View devices by connection.

VLC has the best playback on my system compared to WMP which studders when the video is recorded below 24fps

This is absolutely correct. Lots of people think that SATA drives have a controller all to themselves, but, alas, motherboard manufacturers found a way to make it almost like IDE, in a way. So it's actually 2 drives per controller, not one. 2 SATA ports are always going to be tied to another one, not in a master/slave sense, but they will be sharing the same "channel"; thus my description.

daforce
03-14-08, 11:05 PM
I stand corrected.