View Full Version : enalbing 4gb in vista 32bit

Dreamingawake
03-13-08, 04:33 PM
Help.

Please.

lol.

I know I have to modify my boot.ini or something and add /PAE to it, but
I'm not sure how or where to do that.

Can someone out there please give me a hand ?

Cheers.

LORD-eX-Bu
03-13-08, 04:41 PM
you have to remap your memory by clearing your boot.ini and saving it. Reboot your computer so that it can rewrite itself with the correct variables.

Lenin
03-13-08, 07:30 PM
You *can't* enable 4gb in a 32bit OS. Fullstop. Anyone who tells you otherwise is a clueless moron :thumbdwn:

What you can do is increasing the application workspace a bit, but this comes at the cost of the OS workspace. With a very memory-hungry OS like Vista, a reduced OS workspace will most likely render the OS quite instable, thus I'd strongly advise against it.

nrdstrm
03-13-08, 08:55 PM
You *can't* enable 4gb in a 32bit OS. Fullstop. Anyone who tells you otherwise is a clueless moron :thumbdwn:

What you can do is increasing the application workspace a bit, but this comes at the cost of the OS workspace. With a very memory-hungry OS like Vista, a reduced OS workspace will most likely render the OS quite instable, thus I'd strongly advise against it.

Are you talking about the PAE switch? I was always under the impression that it expanded OS space...Good to know...Guess when I upgrade to 4 GB ram I'll have to pony up for a 64 bit OS...

Dreamingawake
03-14-08, 01:56 AM
hm actually you can use 4gb ram on a 32 bit OS, im doing so right now.

and its the full 4gb being reported, not 3.8 or something.

all i had to do was install the service pack 1 RTM candidate and it worked ! :D

http://www.putfile.com/pic/7819533

Pic to proove it ! ^

Redeemed
03-14-08, 02:31 AM

Pic to proove it ! ^
Actually, a 32-bit processor *is* capable of addressing upto 4GB of memory. The catch? There's other kinds of "memory" besides RAM. Most commonly known would be the frame-buffer on your video cards. Hence why most people only see about 3.5GB of the total 4GB under a 32-bit environment.

But, there are software workarounds. More than likely that's what is happening with your system. Be warned- it is *not* as effective nor as efficient as running in a true 64-bit environment. You might net a minor performance improvement with heavy multitasking or such... but you'd be better suited using that amount of memory under a 64-bit environment. If you really need the 4GB, to get the most out of it just order the 64-bit DVD from MS... they only charge shipping if I recall.

Anyhow, congrats on getting it working. ;)

henrybravo
03-14-08, 02:40 AM

4gb is being reported, but not utilized. If you go to Task Manager and look on the Performance tab, you'll see approximately 3.1gb total in the Physical Memory section.

HB

Redeemed
03-14-08, 04:19 AM
4gb is being reported, but not utilized. If you go to Task Manager and look on the Performance tab, you'll see approximately 3.1gb total in the Physical Memory section.

HB
Actually, even in a 32-bit environment more than 4GB can be addressed, but it does require software workarounds. I don't believe it's done on any of the mainstream Windows OS's (i.e. XP, and I thought it wasn't on Vista)... but I know in a lot of servers this has been accomplished.

Dr.Nick
03-14-08, 10:27 AM

Pic to proove it ! ^

Henrybravo is correct. I don't know why but MS decided to make some changes to SP1 to report installed ram instead of available ram. You can read about it here (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946003/)

Dreamingawake
03-14-08, 12:46 PM
wow, okay im in shock.

sooooooo i wonder, what's the point of reporting 4gb if you can't actually
use it.

i would consider myself pretty knowledgeable about computers but
even i was fooled. what gives ?

Dr.Nick
03-14-08, 01:12 PM
Not really sure why they did that tbh. My guess is that it was so the folk that buy 4GB machines with Vista x86 installed from Best Buy don't call them complaining.
My only advice is to upgrade to x64 if you are running 4+GB; even if you bought vista x86 oem you can use the same key to install and activate its x64 version. You will be on your own finding a disk if you have oem though. Almost everything works on x64

ViN86
03-14-08, 11:41 PM
bah, move to 64-bit Vista. all you have to do is pay like $10 for a 64 bit disc and youre good to go, assuming your Vista copy is legit.

i dont have any real big driver/software issues with Vista x64, but im using all new hardware and latest versions of software, so YMMV.