PDA

View Full Version : It's been 85 days since a WHQL Driver...

Pages : [1] 2

Yaboze
03-14-08, 12:32 PM
W T F Nvidia? Yeah yeah, there has been tons of leaks, modded 9 series drivers and some betas, but come on!

jcrox
03-14-08, 12:47 PM
they always seem to have long stretches right before new cards come out.

LordJuanlo
03-14-08, 01:02 PM
They better concentrated on new and goods drivers, instead of releasing the same technology under different names. 9800GTX is a joke, weaker than 8800GTX in most aspects, and GX2 is not much better than the Ultra, so it's another joke.

I'm very unhappy with nVidia since december

Steamer2499
03-14-08, 01:04 PM
This is pretty sad on nvidia's part. I paid 1300.00 for 2 8800 gtx xxx cards 14 months ago and SLI still doesn't work properly. They should offer us owners a reasonable upgrade to the 9800 cards. It wasn't the software companys and it wasn't Vista. It was Nvidia's fault.

TheSmJ
03-14-08, 09:44 PM
...9800GTX is a joke, weaker than 8800GTX in most aspects,....

Whats' your source?

Eliminator
03-14-08, 10:06 PM
Whats' your source?
probably means the 512mb ram and 256bit interface

maxstep
03-14-08, 11:16 PM
okay. google crysis performance test on 1920x1200 for 9800 gtx vs 8800 gtx. It all becomes clear, and, well it's just common sense. g92 is g80, without 128 bits and 256 megs of ram, but due to new tech. process, aggressively clocked. Tell me I'm wrong. 8800 gtx with proper cooling(for mad clocking) is clear as day faster than 9800 gtx. 9800 gx2 might be worth taking a look, depending on drivers. Simple as that.

Isola
03-15-08, 08:05 AM
boff i prefear looking at complete new VC with a single core.
I don't like Ati fury maxx or 7950gx2 style:D

Eliminator
03-15-08, 11:38 PM
okay. google crysis performance test on 1920x1200 for 9800 gtx vs 8800 gtx. It all becomes clear, and, well it's just common sense. g92 is g80, without 128 bits and 256 megs of ram, but due to new tech. process, aggressively clocked. Tell me I'm wrong. 8800 gtx with proper cooling(for mad clocking) is clear as day faster than 9800 gtx. 9800 gx2 might be worth taking a look, depending on drivers. Simple as that.
cooling on the 8800gtx is not enough for mad clocks... i didnt gain anything on clocks with the HR03 but my temps are way lower... 9800gx2 is not worth it... in fact people will forget about it in a month or 2... just like the 7900gx2 and 7950gx2... i bet half the people on this board dont even know what those cards are

Uberpwnage
03-16-08, 12:37 AM
People didn't really forget about the 7950GX2. It was the fastest standalone solution for 5 months...Alot of members here had those cards, and many initially considered the 8800 to be only marginally faster, especially the GTS 640MB. IMO DX10 alone convinced more people then normal to switch so quickly to the 8800's. Now because they've been proven solid performers, ATI presents little competion, DX10 is meh, and they have reduced in price everyone else seems to be jumping on the bandwagon.

I still find it surprising that so many people condemn the GX2 as a failure when every single review done has been conducted with drivers from january... The HD3870X2 was fast enough for some people to sell their 8800 GTX's for, and the GX2 beats it hands down in pretty much everything despite having these relatively ancient drivers. Not to mention some minor improvements in features, such as standard HDMI and pure video HD, over G80.

Dragunov
03-16-08, 03:06 PM
They better concentrated on new and goods drivers, instead of releasing the same technology under different names. 9800GTX is a joke, weaker than 8800GTX in most aspects, and GX2 is not much better than the Ultra, so it's another joke.

I'm very unhappy with nVidia since december

http://www.pconline.com.cn/diy/graphics/reviews/0803/1241871.html

amk21
03-16-08, 03:27 PM
Wait for the drivers that ship with the 9800gx2, then you can judge it. All the test I have seen have been with drivers dated early January, in other words the review is total bs. I'll awit for bit-tech to do a review, then I'll decide whether or not I am going to step-up.

EDIT*
I think we will see dozens of drivers following the launch of the gx2, fixing all of the bugs that come with a new card(not to mention that it is a gx2, crosses fingers)

conroejoe
03-16-08, 03:39 PM
EDIT*
I think we will see dozens of drivers following the launch of the gx2, fixing all of the bugs that come with a new card(not to mention that it is a gx2, crosses fingers)

Yea well I think everyone here is tired of having to put a modded inf in the drivers. I'm ready for some drivers that officially support my card again. Screw Nvidia if they think putting out a new product means driver support for everything else dies.

amk21
03-16-08, 03:47 PM
Yea well I think everyone here is tired of having to put a modded inf in the drivers. I'm ready for some drivers that officially support my card again. Screw Nvidia if they think putting out a new product means driver support for everything else dies.
I hope they launch a mega driver that they have been working on for the past few months, including greatly improved performance on the gx2, and some all around fixes for the 8-series. Fud is saying that the gx2 driver is supposed to launch on the 25th, so I guess we will find out:thumbsup:

Tho Jo Smale
03-16-08, 05:15 PM
People didn't really forget about the 7950GX2. It was the fastest standalone solution for 5 months...Alot of members here had those cards, and many initially considered the 8800 to be only marginally faster, especially the GTS 640MB. IMO DX10 alone convinced more people then normal to switch so quickly to the 8800's. Now because they've been proven solid performers, ATI presents little competion, DX10 is meh, and they have reduced in price everyone else seems to be jumping on the bandwagon.

I still find it surprising that so many people condemn the GX2 as a failure when every single review done has been conducted with drivers from january... The HD3870X2 was fast enough for some people to sell their 8800 GTX's for, and the GX2 beats it hands down in pretty much everything despite having these relatively ancient drivers. Not to mention some minor improvements in features, such as standard HDMI and pure video HD, over G80.

Link to the GX2 "beating hands down" the X2?

All the reviews I've seen show no clear winner, or the X2 beating the GX2

JC

amk21
03-16-08, 06:10 PM
Link to the GX2 "beating hands down" the X2?

All the reviews I've seen show no clear winner, or the X2 beating the GX2

JC
Take those "reviews with a grain of salt....

Tho Jo Smale
03-16-08, 06:24 PM
Take those "reviews with a grain of salt....

Agreed, I was simply looking for some more information.

Uberpwnage
03-16-08, 06:30 PM
The reason the reviews should be taken with a grain of salt is due to the early drivers, and with proper the drivers, the scores will most likely be higher. Theres little doubt in my mind that the card IS getting those scores, which clearly show it as being faster then the 3870X2.

These graphs (http://forums.vr-zone.com/showthread.php?t=248403)from the first review at pconline show the GX2 winning every benchmark except for the few that couldn't run AA, which is a driver issue. They were using catalyst 8.3, a mature driver for the 3870X2 and FW 173.67, an early pre-release beta for the GX2. I don't understand how you can say the GX2 didn't win in those tests.

The results from computerbase.de have been confirmed as only simulated

Slammin
03-16-08, 06:47 PM
This place is getting almost as bad as Creative forums with all the whining.

I mean really, wtf does WHQL buy you anyway? And who's forcing you to install drivers with modded .inf's, that somebody else already went thru the trouble of modding for you anyway?

Sheeze.

And why, even though nVidia holds the speed crown, do folks keep complaining that their new products are not fast enough? At this point, they have a product at every price point that is faster than the competition, and maybe that is their goal?

<rant mode> =OFF

Now, back to your regularily scheduled whining.

amk21
03-16-08, 06:58 PM

I mean really, wtf does WHQL buy you anyway? And who's forcing you to install drivers with modded .inf's, that somebody else already went thru the trouble of modding for you anyway?

Sheeze.

And why, even though nVidia holds the speed crown, do folks keep complaining that their new products are not fast enough? At this point, they have a product at every price point that is faster than the competition, and maybe that is their goal?

<rant mode> =OFF

Now, back to your regularily scheduled whining.
You are an Idiot.

conroejoe
03-16-08, 07:29 PM
You are an Idiot.

AGREEEEEEED!

:tool:

Tho Jo Smale
03-16-08, 08:15 PM
The reason the reviews should be taken with a grain of salt is due to the early drivers, and with proper the drivers, the scores will most likely be higher. Theres little doubt in my mind that the card IS getting those scores, which clearly show it as being faster then the 3870X2.

These graphs (http://forums.vr-zone.com/showthread.php?t=248403)from the first review at pconline show the GX2 winning every benchmark except for the few that couldn't run AA, which is a driver issue. They were using catalyst 8.3, a mature driver for the 3870X2 and FW 173.67, an early pre-release beta for the GX2. I don't understand how you can say the GX2 didn't win in those tests.

The results from computerbase.de have been confirmed as only simulated

You obviously haven't gone through the review that Muya Posted in the Geforce 7,8,9 Series Forum

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/1331/1/page_1_introduction/index.html

I don't see the GX2 owning or beating the X2 in any way (especially not in Vista) from this site's actual review of the card in question.

JC

Shocky
03-16-08, 08:39 PM
You obviously haven't gone through the review that Muya Posted in the Geforce 7,8,9 Series Forum

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/1331/1/page_1_introduction/index.html

I don't see the GX2 owning or beating the X2 in any way (especially not in Vista) from this site's actual review of the card in question.

JC

You can't even enable multigpu in vista with the driver used, so the vista results are probably just using a single gpu.

Buio
03-16-08, 09:09 PM

Creative driver support sucks. But their add-in sound card marked is vanishing, so not strange they given up on good driver development.

Tho Jo Smale
03-16-08, 10:12 PM
You can't even enable multigpu in vista with the driver used, so the vista results are probably just using a single gpu.

Ok fair enough, but if they didn't have Sli bars, I doubt that they would have bothered completing the review.....so your no multigpu scenario doesn't really add up.

JC