PDA

View Full Version : Is XP 64 Worth it?

Heinzftw
03-14-08, 05:20 PM
So I have a friend who builds computers for clients for a living. (I know lucky guy right?)
Anyways he stumbled upon 3 boxes of XP64 he had laying around in his office. And he said asked me if I wanted to buy one of the Xp 64 versions. Now I think it might be cool to have XP 64, but in all honesty can I get ALL the programs on 64 bit xp?
In all honesty I don't know much about software. All I want is 4 Gb of ram to be recognizable and help my system perform better. So I was wondering can I still get all the programs I want and need?
Gpu-z
Counter strike
Prime 95 or Orthos
Ventrilo
Irc
CCleaner
etc etc?
Thanks all!!

nekrosoft13
03-14-08, 05:29 PM
remember 32bit programs work in 64bit enviroment.

dxx
03-14-08, 05:32 PM
So I have a friend who builds computers for clients for a living. (I know lucky guy right?)
Anyways he stumbled upon 3 boxes of XP64 he had laying around in his office. And he said asked me if I wanted to buy one of the Xp 64 versions. Now I think it might be cool to have XP 64, but in all honesty can I get ALL the programs on 64 bit xp?
In all honesty I don't know much about software. All I want is 4 Gb of ram to be recognizable and help my system perform better. So I was wondering can I still get all the programs I want and need?
Gpu-z
Counter strike
Prime 95 or Orthos
Ventrilo
Irc
CCleaner
etc etc?
Thanks all!!

XP64's a dead OS. There wasn't much life in the dog when it was Microsoft's primary 64bit OS. Now, it's the obsure OS that MS started work on, but that then promptly forgot about.

No-one runs xp64, no-one debugs for it, no-one goes much out of their way to write drivers for it. It's a dead OS, and if you do try it, you will run into no end of trouble running both software and hardware with the system. Vista 64's the only way forward.

S.SubZero
03-14-08, 09:56 PM
XP64's a dead OS. There wasn't much life in the dog when it was Microsoft's primary 64bit OS. Now, it's the obsure OS that MS started work on, but that then promptly forgot about.
I run XP64 on my main gaming rig and my laptop. I enjoy it very much. It runs everything I need to run, and it's very fast. I appreciate the much leaner RAM and hard disk usage, especially on my laptop, which only has a 200GB hard drive. The game I play most on my desktop, Final Fantasy XI, is not very Vista-friendly. I have no problems with it on XP64, along with like Orange Box stuff and a few random games I play from time to time. I have yet to run into a game that outright refused to run on XP64 (tho I hear some games, especially Electronic Arts titles, can be fussy for strictly 'badly coded' reasons).

Drivers for most common devices are out there. My desktop is an Intel C2D E6600, Intel motherboard, GeForce 7950GT video, Creative X-Fi sound card.. All supported perfectly. My laptop is a Penryn 2.5Ghz, 8800M 512MB video card, Realtek sound, Cardbus, Flash card reader, wired/wireless network.. All supported. The only thing I don't have a driver for is the camera which I don't really care about.

Windows XP64 is based on Server 2003, and shares the updates and service packs with that OS.

While Vista x64 may be the future, XP64's "death" has been greatly overstated. If you want a solid, lean 64-bit OS that isn't overloaded with eye candy and negative articles on tech sites, it's definitely worth checking out. Of course for your specific apps you should check with the vendors.

Eliminator
03-14-08, 10:12 PM
32bit programmes will work fine unless they require some driver to operate like antivirus software and firewalls in which case you need the 64bit version... but xp64 is pretty nice though... how much is he offering it to you for?

conroejoe
03-14-08, 10:42 PM
XP x64 runs great, better than Vista x64, faster that is. I was using it for awhile recently with 8GB ram, no issues to report.

Vik1dk
03-15-08, 11:14 AM
Used it for over 18 months with no problems so far.
Only thing i never got to work was aquamark and thats not a great loss anyway.

No-one runs xp64, no-one debugs for it, no-one goes much out of their way to write drivers for it. It's a dead OS, and if you do try it, you will run into no end of trouble running both software and hardware with the system. Vista 64's the only way forward.

Hmmm... if xp64 is "dead" so are 2003 server as they are basicly the same and share updates on windows update.
And when it comes to drivers, still no problems(including joystick, tv tuner card, etc)

zeejay
03-16-08, 12:22 AM
XP 64 is still alive and kicking for me. Runs all my games slightly better then vista and still i can get all 4gb.

Labyrinth
03-17-08, 05:48 PM
Runs great for me too!!

DiscipleDOC
03-17-08, 05:58 PM
IMO, no. I have a few machines here (at work) that have XP64, and they are nothing but trouble. Again, that my opinion.

ViN86
03-17-08, 06:17 PM
if you can get it cheap, sure go for it.

but tbh, a copy of Vista x64 would be better in my opinion.

Xyphus
03-24-08, 03:31 PM
I've got XP64 running on both of my machines. Workstation and Gaming PC. Both of which are rock solid stable, no problems with drivers, games and apps work fine. 32bit apps are also supported, so unless as stated above it is an obscure driver, you should be fine.

One exception is that early forms of CD copy protection do not work in 64bit. I had trouble getting Sacred/Sacred Underworld running at first, but with the latest patch it removed the CD Protection check and now the game runs great...