PDA

View Full Version : New topic :Sony Online Entertainment Boss:it is"Ridiculous and Foolish'to Say

Pages : [1] 2

Jonelo
03-14-08, 11:01 PM
...PC Gaming is in Decline :headexplode:

http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/news/soe-boss-its-ridiculous-and-foolish-to-say-pc-gaming-is-in-decline/?biz=1

All this talk lately about the downward spiral of the PC games market has gotten under John Smedley's skin. He says the "doom and gloom" is "ridiculous."

Posted by James Brightman on Friday, March 14, 2008

http://o.aolcdn.com/gd-media/news/19654/ai_132.jpg
While talking with Sony Online Entertainment President John Smedley about his company's integration with Sony Computer Entertainment (http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/features/interview-soe-president-discusses-sce-integration/?biz=), GameDaily BIZ also questioned him about the state of PC gaming. Little did we know that we'd get such a passionate response to our question.

Clearly, the assertions by certain people in this industry that PC gaming has to take a backseat to consoles and that the PC games market is in trouble has rubbed Smedley the wrong way. He told us, It's ridiculous and foolish to say that PC gaming . I've seen some of the dumbest quotes out there about the business [falling apart]. It's just not true. The simple truth is the online business is picking up in a huge way. If you're able to add in and NPD is beginning to track this stuff the digital sales and regular sales and subscription money and all that stuff, the PC gaming industry is at its strongest point in its history period."

He continued, "I keep reading all this doom and gloom. It's the same guys that have been telling us for years that mainframes are doomed. If you just look at the actual facts on the ground, [I]World of Warcraft and I have to give props to our competition here it sat on top of the PC charts for three years now. At some point, and everybody keeps talking about this, but they're just not realizing that a lot of people's dollars are going into these online games now and a lot of them you can buy truly digitally, which isn't getting tracked. It's as simple as that."

Recently Epic Games CEO Tim Sweeney commented (http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/news/epic-ceo-pcs-arent-good-for-gaming/?biz=) that the PC is "good for anything, not just games," and he talked about the decline of the PC as gaming platform. Naturally, Smedley doesn't agree with this viewpoint.

"I would argue greatly and disagree with his statements. In my opinion, PC gaming is at its brightest point ever. If you look at the number of people out there playing games like Runescape - 11 million active players or Webkinz or Club Penguin or WoW or EverQuest II... If you just start doing the math on all these games, there's just a hell of a lot of people out there playing. What's happening though is their playing habits are changing, and they're going more towards a different business model. So the Webkinz or the Runescapes, where it's free to play with sort of a velvet rope model, these are the new PC gamers that are playing this kind of stuff, or they're playing on Pogo or Microsoft's Gaming Zone... all these different things that are taking people's attention. It's not that dollar sales are down; it's just that retail PC sales are the narrow focus that ignorant people* are looking at."

* Ohhh !!!

spirited1
03-14-08, 11:56 PM
lmao, not another thread

pc gaming isn't going anywhere, you don't need to hang on to every word industry figureheads come out with.

just how insecure are you guys?

crainger
03-15-08, 12:12 AM
Not insecure. Passionate.

ClosetFanBoy
03-15-08, 12:41 AM
Oh come on now, as long as theres PC's there will be games on them.

It's the gamers themselves that are migrating, Not the games. (except for the ones that wont dare leave the PC since its so damn easy to get free games!) . :p Like I said in another thread, someday we will look back and chuckle to ourselves about how we used to hardcore game on desktops.

Jonelo
03-15-08, 12:56 AM
lmao, not another thread

pc gaming isn't going anywhere, you don't need to hang on to every word industry figureheads come out with.

just how insecure are you guys?

I do not need to put it here to read it. Another people needs to read it;), here and in many sites . But well,finally the FUD in the mass media is the winner in this debate.

asd
03-15-08, 12:58 AM
Woaaaaaaaaa Yeeeaaaaahhhh!!
If PC game developer continue to make most of their games into STUPID MMO games, then PC gaming is dying for sure! we want more great SP games, esp RPG/ARPG games! you won't believe that the best ARPG game out there is Titan Quest and it was released nearly 2 years ago.

Jonelo
03-15-08, 01:02 AM
. Like I said in another thread, someday we will look back and chuckle to ourselves about how we used to hardcore game on desktops

In the year ? 2008 , 2009 , 2010 , 2015, 2020 ?

SeriTonin
03-15-08, 01:26 AM
Oye, who cares at this point? Let's combine all these threads....console owners that cant afford a decent pc are haters and pc gamers with pimped out rigs are gonna stand by their purchase and justify it by any means.

At the end of the day, the pc is a gaming platform that will always be around, regardless to what this schmuck thinks, regardless to what that tool cliffyb thinks, regardless to what any of you think. Get over it, move on, this subject has been beaten like a dead horse.

ClosetFanBoy
03-15-08, 01:35 AM
In the year ? 2008 , 2009 , 2010 , 2015, 2020 ?

Those all sound good. And will be here sooner then I would like. Who knows, maybe it will be a hand held. :D

I know for some it's painful, but it doesnt take rocket science to see where we're headed. I'm a pc freak myself. But I will admire a box that is completely dedicated to gaming, one of my favorite hobbies btw ;) But yea, I see consoles and handhelds turning into some wicked gaming machines. I'm all for it. ;)

****! I just dropped my crystal ball!!!!!

crainger
03-15-08, 02:28 AM
There will always be good PC games. Like The Witcher. The Sims, but with ports getting worse and worse... Before even with ports, PC had better graphics, better sound, better controls and mods. Now the graphics are often worse, missing key effects the console version had and using the same low res texture as consoles. Sound? Well consoles now make full use of 5.1, controls, for FPS PC still pwns. Mods? Well most devs are snubbing mods and now even making games impossible to mod. ::(:

PC will always be here, it's just changing. Maybe for the better. It's great seeing more and more content coming for PC from Europe, where they aren't working for a huge publisher desperate to make money. Maybe PC will even shake the 12 year Couterstrike image it has, obtain more of a mature, refined image, much like it had in the early 90s. We might even see the return to classic adventures, DoTT, Sam and Max, Space Quest.

evox
03-15-08, 03:17 AM
here we go again......

crainger
03-15-08, 04:51 AM
::D:

Mortal Kombat on Sega Genesis is the best game ever!

Noriega
03-15-08, 06:19 AM
He is working for Sony and he doesn't flame that PS3 OWN and PC is Dead :O ?

JigenD
03-15-08, 12:48 PM
I'm surprised he would defend PC gaming after WoW completely owned EQ2. Personally I found EQ2 to be a MUCH better game, but people started leaving really early on...

six_storm
03-15-08, 01:14 PM
::D:

Mortal Kombat on Sega Genesis is the best game ever!

You know what? I disagree. I think Donkey Kong on the Nintendo is the best game ever.

Noriega
03-15-08, 01:38 PM
C64 was the best... this sounds and music!

crainger
03-15-08, 03:27 PM
You know what? I disagree. I think Donkey Kong on the Nintendo is the best game ever.

Donkey Kong sucks!

bacon12
03-15-08, 04:06 PM
Naa twas space invaders.

CaptNKILL
03-16-08, 03:21 AM
Donkey Kong sucks!
I agree.

I absolutely hate Donkey Kong.

Space Jockey, Demon Attack, Combat, Berzerk, Raiders Of the Lost Ark, Star Wars: Empire Strikes Back, Yar's Revenge, Cosmic Ark... THOSE are awesome Atari games. :)

Oh, and of course Elk Attack... :rofl

http://www.atariguide.com/9/911.htm

killahsin
03-16-08, 05:19 PM
Those all sound good. And will be here sooner then I would like. Who knows, maybe it will be a hand held. :D

I know for some it's painful, but it doesnt take rocket science to see where we're headed. I'm a pc freak myself. But I will admire a box that is completely dedicated to gaming, one of my favorite hobbies btw ;) But yea, I see consoles and handhelds turning into some wicked gaming machines. I'm all for it. ;)

****! I just dropped my crystal ball!!!!!

Truthfully the xconsole will never totally replace the pc, as the pc is the development cycle of the console. From ip/technology development to hardware r&d. It's old and grey subject that keeps being brang up. Anyone assuming pc gaming will die is to ignorant to understand what pc gaming is. Epic by going mainly console and other console developers are just backing away from the cost of r&d for technology, its that simple. And letting other developers invest in it. While they switch to rehash mode. every single revolutionary technology started on pc first. And always will. Merely because the console is locked and 9 months after that lock moores law surpasses that console. Thus r&d for future game technologies will always be developed via the pc side.

There are a whole lot of developers going to eb taking advantage of the memory/graphical/cpu bandwith offered by the latest pc technology. Were at a point fairly soon where the graphical technology and the ai/ik/animation technology available for high end pc's will far surpass anything any console is capable of.

K007
03-17-08, 02:43 AM
ffs

ClosetFanBoy
03-17-08, 04:32 PM
Truthfully the xconsole will never totally replace the pc, as the pc is the development cycle of the console. From ip/technology development to hardware r&d. It's old and grey subject that keeps being brang up. Anyone assuming pc gaming will die is to ignorant to understand what pc gaming is. Epic by going mainly console and other console developers are just backing away from the cost of r&d for technology, its that simple. And letting other developers invest in it. While they switch to rehash mode. every single revolutionary technology started on pc first. And always will. Merely because the console is locked and 9 months after that lock moores law surpasses that console. Thus r&d for future game technologies will always be developed via the pc side.

There are a whole lot of developers going to eb taking advantage of the memory/graphical/cpu bandwith offered by the latest pc technology. Were at a point fairly soon where the graphical technology and the ai/ik/animation technology available for high end pc's will far surpass anything any console is capable of.

Interesting stuff! Console is the offspring of a PC anyways yes? Dont get my wrong, I love the PC. Sheesh, I've spent well over 15k maybe even 20k in god knows how many years now, building and upgrading. Been around gaming since that cool lil game with the square on your screen could be hit back and forth between 2 people (Pong). Watched this lil hand held called the Gameboy take over the world when it hit. I think consoles have a ton of potential, and all the things they cant do, they eventually will. And I'm all for it. I have some pretty cool idea's on what could be done and prolly will be done on the console side of things someday. It's totally amazing for me to see how far they've come to begin with.

I'm totally neutral on the whole subject anyways. But I still think, at least for me anyways, I'll look back and laugh about how PC's used to be the big gaming thing. And if I'm wrong, well hell, at least I can still laugh at myself. ;)

sharvin
03-18-08, 07:09 AM
both pc's and consoles will be replaced by little chips in your brains and usb cables you plug up your nose.

|MaguS|
03-18-08, 07:50 AM
both pc's and consoles will be replaced by little chips in your brains and usb cables you plug up your nose.

wait... I thought the usb goes in your ass... damit crainger! You lied to me again!

LordJuanlo
03-18-08, 07:51 AM
I'll look back and laugh about how PC's used to be the big gaming thing

I think PCs have NEVER been "the big gaming thing". When I got my first PC Intel 8086 with 512 kb and CGA graphics, there were far more and cooler games on the ZX Spectrum and Amstrad CPC, they were less powerfull machines but games were really cool. Then we got VGAs, Sound Blasters and hard drives, but other computers like the Atari ST and Commodore Amiga were much better gaming machines than those PCs. There were tons of more games on the NES and Sega consoles too.

I don't think PCs have ever dominated gaming market. But you know what? Those other computers and consoles, some were superior to PCs, some were inferior, Spectrum, CPC, NES, Master System, Amiga, SNES, Megadrive, NeoGeo, SuperNintendo, PS1... all of them have DIED, but we PC users can play their games in our emulators. All machines are born, risen, fall and die. Except the PC, it may not the best gaming machine, it may not have the best games.

But it's there, it was there and it will be there when other systems die.