PDA

View Full Version : Why do you still like NVIDIA graphics cards?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Rogozhin
04-29-03, 02:46 PM
This is my story

I enjoyed their tnt2, geforce 2 gts and geforce 4 ti4200, as soon as i purchased my radeon 8500 I loved it and haden't changed video cards since my 9700.

BUT

I liked the support and quality of the card (my 9700 is better than all of the nvidia cards I owned though in BQ).

So

I enjoyed the tnt2, geforce 2 gts, and geforce 4 ti4200.

What and why do you enjoy nvidia's vgas?

Rogo

digitalwanderer
04-29-03, 02:55 PM
Having a nVidia card is like having a babe magnet, what other reason do you need? :cool:

Rogozhin
04-29-03, 02:58 PM
I'm married but whenever I say "nvidia" at work all the beautiful single women flock to my desk and I have to say, "you know what ladies I own an ATI, so you better go hang with dig, he's the man with the nvidia card. "

:)

I suppose nvidia is more of a phallic symbol than ati because of dawn;)

Other way around dig :)

Ask the men

rogo

digitalwanderer
04-29-03, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Rogozhin
I'm married but whenever I say "nvidia" at work all the beautiful single women flock to my desk and I have to say, "you know what ladies I own an ATI, so you better go hang with dig, he's the man with the nvidia card. "

:)

I suppose nvidia is more of a phallic symbol than ati because of dawn;)

Other way around dig :)

Hey, I've been happily married for almost 8 years now and ever since I've gotten rid of all my ATi cards* I've had to buy a stick to beat the comely ladies back with!

It's embarressing, and it keeps getting me wife all pissed off. :rolleyes:

BTW- I didn't see NOTHING "phallic" about Dawn! Then again, I never could figure out how to get them last few leaves off.... :p

*Alright, busted...I still have me 32MB Rage128 (non-Pro) on a shelf in my 'puter room. Strictly for sentimental value, but I ain't getting rid of it. ;)

RobHague
04-29-03, 03:12 PM
Well yeah, i guess if you have a fetish for 'animals' and other wildlife then ATi are the card makers for you. ;) If you like humans though then you have no choice but to go NVIDIA.

Take these totally true examples**

Scenario 1 - The Un-average Joe, totally innocent finds himself in a dodgy situation...

Un-average Joe - "Hi, i wonder if you could tell me about this game. Does it work ok with ATi cards?"

Gameshop Girl - "Yes it works fine with...those cards."

Un-average Joe - "Thats great, Ill take it then"

<hands over money> <girl hands him game>

Un-average - "Thanks a lot, say your rather nice. Would you like to come out for a drink after work? Then maybe you and i can go back to my place and ill show you my Radeon?"

Gameshop Girl - <SLAP> "What kind of girl do you think i am?... SICKO!" <girl runs to fetch security guard with big wooden stick>

Scenario 2 - Our average joe, the loyal NVIDIA card owner...

Un-average Joe - "Hi, i wonder if you could tell me about this game. Does it work ok with NVIDIA cards?"

Gameshop Girl - "Yes it works fine with NVIDIA's cards." <Girl Winks>

Un-average Joe - "Ill take it then"

Un-average - "Thanks a lot, say your rather nice. Would you like to come out for a drink after work? Then maybe go back to my place to look at my FX?"

Gameshop Lady - "Oh you flatterer... sure thing you hunk" <girl leaps on guy>

So which would you rather be?

Don't grow up to be an animal molester kids. Be average! Be NV'd. ;)

Rogozhin
04-29-03, 03:19 PM
LMAO!

Rogo

saturnotaku
04-29-03, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by RobHague
Well yeah, i guess if you have a fetish for 'animals' and other wildlife then ATi are the card makers for you. ;) If you like humans though then you have no choice but to go NVIDIA.

Take these totally true examples**

Scenario 1 - The Un-average Joe, totally innocent finds himself in a dodgy situation...

Un-average Joe - "Hi, i wonder if you could tell me about this game. Does it work ok with ATi cards?"

Gameshop Girl - "Yes it works fine with...those cards."

Un-average Joe - "Thats great, Ill take it then"

Un-average - "Thanks a lot, say your rather nice. Would you like to come out for a drink after work? Then maybe you and i can go back to my place and ill show you my Radeon?"

Gameshop Girl - <SLAP> "What kind of girl do you think i am?... SICKO!" <girl runs to fetch security guard with big wooden stick>

Scenario 2 - Our average joe, the loyal NVIDIA card owner...

Un-average Joe - "Hi, i wonder if you could tell me about this game. Does it work ok with NVIDIA cards?"

Gameshop Girl - "Yes it works fine with NVIDIA's cards." <Girl Winks>

Un-average Joe - "Ill take it then"

Un-average - "Thanks a lot, say your rather nice. Would you like to come out for a drink after work? Then maybe go back to my place to look at my FX?"

Gameshop Lady - "Oh you flatterer... sure thing you hunk" <girl leaps on guy>

So which would you rather be?

Don't grow up to be an animal molester kids. Be average! Be NV'd. ;)

:lol2:

That's fantastic.

sxotty
04-29-03, 04:34 PM
Maybe you can get a job at Nv now, in their marketing department lol

edit:

Actually I still like Nv, because I have less problems with drivers, I knwo everyone and their uncle says it isn't true, but tenebrae won't run on my ATI 9500pro, and it runs fine on Nvidia, why? Because the people doing tenebrae like Nvidia I guess, but it is irrelevant, it works on nvidia, and you have to dilly dally to get ATI cards to work, at least I had too.

digitalwanderer
04-29-03, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by sxotty
Actually I still like Nv, because I have less problems with drivers, I knwo everyone and their uncle says it isn't true, but tenebrae won't run on my ATI 9500pro, and it runs fine on Nvidia, why? Because the people doing tenebrae like Nvidia I guess, but it is irrelevant, it works on nvidia, and you have to dilly dally to get ATI cards to work, at least I had too.

Come on, 'fess up! It's really 'cause of the way it drives chics wild, isn't it?

muzz
04-29-03, 06:46 PM
I think you guys need to get out more..........:D :p

Rogozhin
04-29-03, 06:50 PM
Cowboy

It's basically a nobrainer that the existence of Nvidia is a good thing.

But that was not what I mean to ask.

What attributes of their video cards do you like?

That should have been my question ;)

excuse me

Rogo

digitalwanderer
04-29-03, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by Rogozhin
What attributes of their video cards do you like?

To be honest? Liquid-smoothness. Not always in every game, but when it's there it's there!

Until I tried ATi's 9500 I had never seen that kind of smooth on an Ati card before, truly hadn't. I had had a rage128, then a 7200 Radeon (back when they didn't even have numbers, I just include it to save confusion ;) ) that I liked...but I picked up an Abit Siluro GF2 T400 at a local PC show for cheap and was instantly blown-away! It ran games MUCH better than my radeon, no matter what the damned benchmarks said!

Same thing with me GF3 & 8500. The 8500 benched better in EVERYTHING, but I had the GF3 in me gaming rig 'cause games played a hell of a lot better on them. ;)

I like my GF4 ti4400 a lot now, it's more than enough power for the games I like. By the time I pick up a new viddy card I'll probably have a whole slew of good pickings in the used card bin. ;)

Rogozhin
04-29-03, 07:17 PM
Dig

Hm

I kept my 8500 because it was smoother (in my eyes) than my two geforce 4s ;)

rogo

marcocom
04-29-03, 07:44 PM
OpenGL

but ATi runs directX like OpenGL smooth, so its a preference thing. frankly i hate DirectX games. they look like ass and they port everything through the OS's directX. where-as OpenGL native games (even ones that support directX, but arent written in directX only) are written custom with usually more exotic PC support like EAX and more expertly written netcode instead of MS's directplay - theyre generally games built for PC natively and not console McCrap games as a priority. See every DirectX game is going to limit its system overhead in testing to a P3 700mhz /Geforce3 to support XBOX and then port it upward with a possible upgrade in textures like GTA:VC. Even UT wasnt built as a native DirectX engine. it was built to be ported to MAC, Linux, Playstation so it was built fundamentally more advanced, thats why it was so win. i own my nvidia as an investment in high-end, multi-platform programming...

oh ya...and to pick up chicks.

GlowStick
04-29-03, 08:06 PM
Though i bought an ATi card, i still like Nvidia better : O

Reason 1!!!

Jen refuses to bring more than one suit when he travels. I also refuse to buy/bring the absolute minium of clothing!!!! Most of my shirts have holes in them now : O

Reason 2!!!!!!!!!

Oviously the chicks ; D

The Baron
04-29-03, 08:08 PM
Because I wanted a mini-vac in my room but didn't have a place to put it. :D

Seriously, I like em because... wait... no... I don't like them, and nor do I like ATI. I don't give two ****s which company makes whatever it is that I want--I just want what works the best.

In my experience, that's been nVidia. I haven't tried any new ATI board in the past few years, so I can't comment on the newer driver stability. But, I remember back in the Day when you would have to disable the ATI startup logo or else your computer would go blammo.

Never had a lick of trouble with nVidia, but I'm going to have to give ATI another shot sometime before I make a final judgment.

jbirney
04-29-03, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by marcocom
OpenGL
.....look like ass and they port everything through the OS's directX. where-as OpenGL native games (even ones that support directX, but arent written in directX only) are written custom with usually more exotic PC support ....

Thats the problem with OpenGL its its Custom Support..the vendor specific calls need to go asap. We dont need games like NWN using nV custom calls when ARB calls can do the same thing....

saturnotaku
04-29-03, 09:20 PM
I like NVIDIA because I have the most experience with their cards. Prior to my purchase of a GF2 MX, I was a hardcore 3dfx-er. But I saw games running on my friends TNT and TNT2 cards and later a GeForce2 that I knew 3dfx had to go. ATI was never a thought in my mind because of their (at the time) lousy driver support. Right about the time I bought my GF2 Ultra, there still weren't any proper Windows 2000 drivers for the Radeon 64 class of cards.

NVIDIA's OpenGL support is still the best there is, and that's the only API that really matters. :p But you all are right when you say vendor specific calls have to be gotten rid of. That really has to be holding back further advance of the API.

Let's not forget Linux support either. While it would be idea of NV's drivers were open source, at least they provide a steady stream of updates for Linux, especially when the company is under no obligation to do so. ;)

Solomon
04-29-03, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by CoWBoY
Without Nvidia, ATi may have never aquired ArtX and some of us would still be gaming happily with crappy graphics.

I'm curious, What does Nvidia's presence have to do with ArtX? I was under the impression that ArtX had nothing to do with ATi's PC graphics until later on. ArtX is what is in the GameCube... So I'm curious what Nvidia had to do with ATi's purchasing of ArtX? I think Microsoft was more of the reason why ATi purchased ArtX because MS choosen Nvidia for their graphics chip. The purpose of the buyout of ArtX was more of a console presence then PC at first. :D

http://www.ati.com/companyinfo/ir/2000/2000.html

Regards,
D. Solomon Jr.
*********.com

bkswaney
04-29-03, 10:07 PM
They were started and still are an American company. :D:super:

StealthHawk
04-30-03, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by sxotty

The reason for that is none of the devs have an ATI card. Someone with an ATI card had to tweak the code so it worked better.

GlowStick
04-30-03, 01:42 AM
Originally posted by StealthHawk
The reason for that is none of the devs have an ATI card. Someone with an ATI card had to tweak the code so it worked better.

Well, in a perfect world they wodulnt have to tweak it.

But first of all

Tenebra is FREEWARE, they dont get paid, they are not obligated to support anyone

Since its free, they have to spend their own money to test compatability (if you really want to see it work on a 9700pro, send him one)

And also, it is open source if u happen to know how to code 3d games u could probly help em out!!

and my little rant for nvidia is

ATi drivers dont work as documented by ATi, but they 'now' do fix it, but they will only respond to big time dev's eg John Carmack or other big companys. And they do that for a good reaosn, they make the games people are playing simple as that.

in JC's .plans he bitches that ATi's dont work, but he dose state tey fix them for 'HIM'.

ChrisW
04-30-03, 01:42 AM
I love nVidia because they have proven that you don't need all that IQ stuff to compete. You can follow 3DFx's lead and convince people that lower IQ is the way to go. "It's not really 16 bit color, it's more like 22 bit color", said 3DFx.

marcocom
04-30-03, 01:48 AM
Originally posted by bkswaney
They were started and still are an American company. :D:super:

****ing A. california-grown chronic 3d nuggets of nvidia.

ya vendor-specific sucks i guess. its why fanboys bag on CG and they must be right. Cg is open-source , though, right?

anyways, how do we move forward otherwise? let microsoft mediate? scary

StealthHawk
04-30-03, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by ChrisW
I love nVidia because they have proven that you don't need all that IQ stuff to compete. You can follow 3DFx's lead and convince people that lower IQ is the way to go. "It's not really 16 bit color, it's more like 22 bit color", said 3DFx.

22bit color looked a lot better than 16bit color. It was a good idea.

Now, trying to replace 32bit color with 22bit was not a good idea.