PDA

View Full Version : computer wont shutdown

muelo1000
03-17-08, 04:15 AM
I am running windows vista ultimate and whe i shut down my PC the monitor will go to sleep but the PC will stay lit up and sound like its runningin idel i have to shut it down with the power botton thing is i dont get an erro message when power on, this is a brand new case but i dont think it could be the case was working fine when i first move all my hard wear to the new case i think it could be something with vista

Capt. Picard
03-17-08, 04:49 AM
Is one measly comma all you could use.

DiscipleDOC
03-17-08, 11:43 AM
Bro, why are you using such large fonts?

pkirby11
03-17-08, 12:02 PM
When you open up the start menu in Vista and look at the power button, is it yellow or red in color? Let me know, I may know what your problem is.

Bearclaw
03-17-08, 12:27 PM
Maybe he hasn't actually tried clicking it yet. He just turns the monitor off and assumes the rest of the PC will follow suit.

CaptNKILL
03-17-08, 12:29 PM
By default the power button in the Vista start menu just puts your PC to sleep. You can change that in the power options in the control panel, or if you click the little arrow next to the power\lock buttons you can select shut down directly from that menu.

pkirby11
03-17-08, 01:19 PM
By default the power button in the Vista start menu just puts your PC to sleep. You can change that in the power options in the control panel, or if you click the little arrow next to the power\lock buttons you can select shut down directly from that menu.

Exactly which is why I was asking him what color the button was. A lot of people don't realize the default action for the power button in Vista is to put the computer to sleep. I for one hate that mode, if I'm going to turn of my computer I want it to turn off. My guess is that's exactly what his problem is.

muelo1000
03-17-08, 02:39 PM
the button is yellow

Buckeye
03-17-08, 03:14 PM
Right next to the Power/Lock button is a right arrow buttom. Click that and a menu will pop up with options, shut down, reset etc.

CapnKirk
03-17-08, 03:26 PM
In Vista, go to control panel, then click on Power Options, you can select a pre-made power plan and then modify it the way you want too.

I use the high performance one and then you can adjust the settings, there are 3 settings for power, some are for the actual button(s) on the case and some are for the software shutdown options when you click on the Start or what is now that round win logo in the lower left corner of your desktop.

I run in classic mode, so it may look different in the Vista default mode.

Point is, you can change them to do what you want.

LORD-eX-Bu
03-17-08, 03:35 PM
smash it with a hammer or pour water all over it, problem solved.

ATOJAR
03-17-08, 03:49 PM
Bro, why are you using such large fonts?

So old people with bad eyes like you can read it! :p

DiscipleDOC
03-17-08, 03:57 PM
Huh? What did you say? Speak up?

Zapablast05
03-17-08, 10:00 PM
Sorry, I can't hear your font, DD.

That stupid "Power off" thing tricked me the first time. Stupid Vista. I just leave it as is.