PDA

View Full Version : Vista problem - need to change to old user folder.

dreavus
03-17-08, 08:23 AM
yesterday my pc was acting up, IE would stop loading pages which seems at random times. other things happen when that happen, right click didnt work, if i tryed to open a folder or program while the messed up IE was still open it didnt open. once i closed it ever thing seem to work ok aghain, untill it happened again. after a couple restarts of IE i decided to restart my pc, it loocked while preparing to shutdown (the desktop was still shown yet it was darkened out) I decided to hold in the power button to turn it off. when it came back on it was acting like it was never turned on befor. trying to figure out why this was happening i found this.
http://www.freewebs.com/dreavus/users.jpg

so, my question is, how do i reset my user folder back to Scott.

crainger
03-17-08, 08:42 AM
I've had this happen before. I never found a solution, I just went about it the hard way and copied everything across to the new profile. Probably for the best, you're old profile is probably corrupt.

nekrosoft13
03-17-08, 09:00 AM
yes, this happens on xp and vista, something has corrupted your registry, sometimes when you restart again it might get back to normal.

windows keeps a back-up of registry every few days, so if someting goes wrong if it can restore that back-up it will.

if the back-up is corrupted as well, then profile is lost.

few possible causes for this are:
1) windows - rare, but possible in all NT bases windows
2) some program - more possible, could be holding on registry for to long, or doing stuff that program not supposed to
3) bad ram or bad hard drive - very possible, corrupted because of bad memory or bad sector on HDD.

ViN86
03-17-08, 10:17 AM
yes, this happens on xp and vista, something has corrupted your registry, sometimes when you restart again it might get back to normal.

windows keeps a back-up of registry every few days, so if someting goes wrong if it can restore that back-up it will.

if the back-up is corrupted as well, then profile is lost.

few possible causes for this are:
1) windows - rare, but possible in all NT bases windows
2) some program - more possible, could be holding on registry for to long, or doing stuff that program not supposed to
3) bad ram or bad hard drive - very possible, corrupted because of bad memory or bad sector on HDD.
in my experience, it's happened a couple times to me in XP and the reason (from as much as i can tell) has been the third option.