PDA

View Full Version : Bent CPU Pins

CHEVYMAN_02
03-18-08, 01:19 PM
I was trying to put my new system together last night and i was trying remove the heatsink and when i got it removed the CPU came along with it and bent some pins. Is the anyway to fix them?

Revs
03-18-08, 01:23 PM
Oh dear dude. I feel for ya. You're gonna have to be a mother****ing surgeon to sort em with out breaking em. What mobo is it?

Q
03-18-08, 01:26 PM
I was trying to put my new system together last night and i was trying remove the heatsink and when i got it removed the CPU came along with it and bent some pins. Is the anyway to fix them?

I would use a strong straight pin (needle) and a credit card. The credit card is just wide enough to slide in between the rows of pins. The straight needle can be used to pull the pins into the right alignment.

Be careful, but be deliberate. You only have so many bends before you get a break. I've done this to three or four processors the same way you did it but all the machines were fine after straightening the pins. (I've had to do large scale motherboard replacements of 300-400 machines at my job due to a Dell "recall"),

Revs
03-18-08, 01:30 PM
I was thinking the pins were on the mobo. CPU pins are still tricky as hell but do'able if you're really careful.

CHEVYMAN_02
03-18-08, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Revs
What mobo is it?

The New mobo is a Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4. the old mobo was ECS K8M890M-M

I also found this:

http://www.wikihow.com/Fix-Bent-Pins-on-a-CPU

Which is pretty much what you guys are telling me to do.

Bman212121
03-18-08, 02:05 PM
If you have nimble hands you can do it with a small screwdriver. I've bent back a few 939 processors after i bent the pins without issues. I like Q's idea though as it gives you something to keep it from bending too far. Just be very careful and patient and you will get them lined back up. As long as they are close it should drop in. After you tighten up the socket once and take it back out they will be perfectly aligned again.

wysiwyg
03-18-08, 04:02 PM
damn sorry to hear about ur bad luck

since going intel i dont miss the pins on tthe amd as there are just small nodules on the intels

LORD-eX-Bu
03-18-08, 04:54 PM
what are these pins you speak of? :bleh:

ViN86
03-18-08, 05:02 PM
it's happened to me before.

easy fix for you. get a BiC mechanical pencil (preferrably 0.7mm thickness) and remove the graphite/lead. then use an exacto knife to separate the pins and place the pin inside the tip of the mechanical pencil. then move the pencil so it's perpendicular to the processor and voila, the pin is straight.

http://p.office1000.com/iz/BICMP11.jpg

then just repeat this for all the bent pins.

for future reference, it's best to run your computer for a while to heat up the thermal paste before you try to remove the heatsink. ;)

makeagoodchoice
03-18-08, 05:12 PM
damn sorry to hear about ur bad luck

since going intel i dont miss the pins on tthe amd as there are just small nodules on the intels
yeah but then intels socket 775 coolers are a gpita.

ViN86
03-18-08, 05:13 PM
yeah but then intels socket 775 coolers are a gpita.
they are? mine involved tightening 4 screws. that was it.

my s939 cooler required me to damn near break the mobo to force the clips on.

LORD-eX-Bu
03-18-08, 05:16 PM
cpu waterblocks must be alot easier to install than your crappy HSFs because I had no problem :p

Mr_LoL
03-18-08, 05:18 PM
MY athlon 64 4000 seemed to worked fine with two pins missing. The same thing happened to me. The cpu was stuck to the heatsink.

makeagoodchoice
03-18-08, 05:41 PM
they are? mine involved tightening 4 screws. that was it.

my s939 cooler required me to damn near break the mobo to force the clips on.
the push-pins were the bigger pain in the anus to me in fact i cant even build an intel system myself because the pushpins are too damn difficult for me to install i like amd's coolers' clamping mechanism much better.

Bearclaw
03-18-08, 06:21 PM
the push-pins were the bigger pain in the anus to me in fact i cant even build an intel system myself because the pushpins are too damn difficult for me to install i like amd's coolers' clamping mechanism much better.
QFT. I love the AMD clamp style. The intel system is wack.

Zapablast05
03-18-08, 06:28 PM
The New mobo is a Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4. the old mobo was ECS K8M890M-M

I also found this:

http://www.wikihow.com/Fix-Bent-Pins-on-a-CPU

Which is pretty much what you guys are telling me to do.

Good board, I used to have that 570 SLI board. I had the same problem with my CPU pins. I just used tweezers to straighten them out. Intel 775 FTW!!11

CHEVYMAN_02
03-19-08, 08:50 AM
well. i got it fixed. I used a good ole PaperMate .5 Mechanical Pencil and a little patience.

nekrosoft13
03-19-08, 09:32 AM
i use a credit card, works as well ;)

bacon12
03-19-08, 09:39 AM
Glad you got it fixed! That has to to be the very best mobo I have ever owned.

ViN86
03-19-08, 10:38 AM
well. i got it fixed. I used a good ole PaperMate .5 Mechanical Pencil and a little patience.
nice :thumbsup:

yep, it always takes patience. when i did it i bent like a quarter of my pins. took me 15-20 min to get them right again. but, it still works :)