PDA

View Full Version : n00b mistakes ^^

Toss3
03-19-08, 07:42 AM
Have you ever had a n00b-moment even though you have a lot of computer experience? Well I had such a moment today when I realized that I had forgotten to install my chipset drivers! I recently upgraded to vista 64 and I always wondered why it ran so slow. My vista rating was 5.4(ram=5.4, rest=5.9), so I thought that this behavior was normal. It ran quite fast, but having a lot of applications running simultaneously caused it to slow down to a crawl. So today I decided to check where the problem lay, and found out that I had no chipset drivers installed. Heh... you could say I was a bit ashamed, but at least it's running much faster now. :o

So please share your n00b moments! :)

EciDemon
03-19-08, 08:02 AM
When I was to install the CPU fan on my new rig in the sig, I felt like a total n00b. Damn plastic clamps. It took a while before I realised how they should be attached (figured i should push them in and twist them >_>), they kept breaking loose on me the whole time, untill i figured it out *doh!*

The other day I was helping a friend making a backup of his xbmc xbox, so I swapped his and mine back and forth, and when I was to transfer it all back to his box, I just could not connect, checked connection status and it was ok from pc side, and on the xbox it was no go. Turns out I had accedently used wrong tp cable, so his wasnt connected to anything. lol.

lduguay
03-19-08, 08:03 AM
Plugging molex power connectors the other way around on SCSI Cheetah drives. Result, blown drives. :o

Toss3
03-19-08, 08:12 AM
Plugging molex power connectors the other way around on SCSI Cheetah drives. Result, blown drives. :o
LOL that's pretty bad! :D I once opened my watercooling's pump control unit, in order to connect it to my new pump.It resulted in me connecting the power cables the wrong way and a blown control unit! :D

EciDemon
03-19-08, 08:21 AM
Oh yeah that reminds me, coupple of years a go I got a 17" flatscreen for free as it was missing the powersuply, Those things usually costs way to much then it's worth but I found a modular powersuply I could configure, so I did. But instead of 12v and what not amps, i looked upside down so it went 21v with polarity switched (and course, amps wrong too).
-Nothing like the smell of burnt hardware in the morning.

So i opend it up and it was easy to determin what chip had blown. And I even tracked them down online, real cheap too, just a few cents each. Problem was you could only order them in really vast quantities and it would have cost me less to just buy a new flat screen. - back to square one.

lduguay
03-19-08, 08:28 AM
I once chipped an Athlon 1100 die while installing the HSF.

Badboy_12345
03-19-08, 10:00 AM
forgetting to connect the mobo to the powersupply and wondering for 30 min wtf was wrong with my new computer while checking everything :p

Wolfhound
03-19-08, 10:13 AM
I had burned a Pentium 3 450Mhz Slot 1 when I bought it because I forgot to connect the fan wire to the mobo, suprisinly in the shop they changed the burn one without any question regarless the CPU cost, in this moment, was 75000 pts (563.40$/450) I was using an Abit BX6 mobo with a Golden Orb HSF :)

http://www.thetechzone.com/images/p3-pic.jpg

http://www.overclockers.com/articles366/p3gorb.jpg

Capt. Picard
03-19-08, 10:48 AM
A couple of days ago I were ghosting the contents of one harddrive to some others. At one stage, while lost in thought, I plugged in a harddrive into a machine, both power and ribbon cable, while it was still running. Luckily there was no damage.

But here comes the super noob moment. Two hours later, again lost in thought, I accidentily did it again!!! :eek: