PDA

View Full Version : Vista install question

CapnKirk
03-19-08, 09:36 AM
Do any of you install Vista with your Cable/ISP connected?

It's supposed to help with a more stable installation by getting updates, files, drivers, etc...

Also, I don't bother to format the drive(s) at that page because formatting doesn't wipe the drive clean.
I use Western Digital's Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for DOS (CD) app to write all Zeros to the drives. (Raptors)
And "KillDisk" to do the same with my Seagate drive.

I just load the raid files at that page and then let it install.

So once again, do any of you install Vista with your Cable/ISP connected?

Wolfhound
03-19-08, 10:26 AM
I do the same for my raptors and Seagate, yes my connection remains active when installed but before fisrt logon I disconnect the cable, install chipset drivers, graphic drivers and lan drivers and then connect the cable again and perform Windows Update

CapnKirk
03-19-08, 10:44 AM
I do the same for my raptors and Seagate, yes my connection remains active when installed but before fisrt logon I disconnect the cable, install chipset drivers, graphic drivers and lan drivers and then connect the cable again and perform Windows Update

Do you use a password and pull the cable at the password screen?
I don't use one so I guess I would pull the cable at the black screen that says "vista starting for the first time" *shrugs*

Revs
03-19-08, 10:53 AM
I'm always worried about the lack of anti-virus software. I never connect to the web until i've got BitDefender loaded and the first thing I do uppon connection is update the definition list. Then Windows Update.

Wolfhound
03-19-08, 12:50 PM
Do you use a password and pull the cable at the password screen?
I don't use one so I guess I would pull the cable at the black screen that says "vista starting for the first time" *shrugs*

After install when rebooting I remove the cable from router before the first start exactly when you said, no password used

CapnKirk
03-19-08, 02:48 PM
Kewl, I usually install with no cable connected, but have tried it a few times.
But your way really makes alot of sense to me.

My connection remains active when installed but before fisrt logon I disconnect the cable, install chipset drivers, graphic drivers and lan drivers and then connect the cable again and perform Windows Update

Always built my rigs with XP Pro, and Vista seems to have sucked about 300,000 brain cells from me already. :crosseye:

Thanks! :headbang:

Wolfhound
03-19-08, 03:44 PM
Kewl, I usually install with no cable connected, but have tried it a few times.
But your way really makes alot of sense to me.

Always built my rigs with XP Pro, and Vista seems to have sucked about 300,000 brain cells from me already. :crosseye:

Thanks! :headbang:

You are welcome, basicly is the same way I install win XP pro but without disconnecting the lan until the last moment