PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drive Firmware?

nekrosoft13
03-19-08, 09:53 AM
How come hard drive manufactures don't release firmware updates? I was just looking at HP site for some laptop drivers and noticed that there are hard drive firmwares aswell.

how come you can't find firmware updates on HDD manufacture sites?

EciDemon
03-19-08, 10:02 AM
Rule of thumb is you should not Firmware update unless you _need_ to, and HDDs these days are quite reliable.
Should a serious bug surface for one particular drive, i would suspect a fix is made available if the drive in question supported flashing, at least that is what I would expect as good customer service. I never seen it though. However I stay away from ready built systems and I have no laptop either.

Ive had my share of hdd crashes over the years. But its mostly been due to fat table messing up. One really old disk many years ago sufferd a mechanical error and was renderd unusable. In either cases a firmware update would not have fixed anything.

EDIT: After some random googleing on "Seagate firmware" i found these:
http://www.fluffles.net/articles/seagate-AAK-firmware <-- quite interesting, they compare two different firmware modles, one is slower.

and
http://osdir.com/ml/drivers.aacraid.devel/2003-12/msg00034.html
Both indirectly answers your questions, OEM devices are not compatible with retail firmwares. But I suspect that's the short answer.

I chose Seagate as key word as Ive been using seagate exclusivly for the past 8 years, and wanted to see if this is something I should be consernd about.

fugu_fish
03-19-08, 02:53 PM
I guess HDD firmware updates are pretty rare and only fix specific issues.
I have a bunch of Seagate 7200.10 320 GBs that came with AAM firmware that caps their max output at 65MB/sec. Older firmwares had much higher throughput. Seagate eventually released a firmware for the 500GB and then the 320GBs that restored the lost performance.

nekrosoft13
03-19-08, 03:39 PM
one of mine is AAB and second is AAC, quite a big behind.

I wonder what has changed