PDA

View Full Version : Dell gaming PCs

Kain
04-30-03, 12:23 PM
http://www.dell.com/us/en/dhs/products/model_dimen_dimen_XPS.htm

What do you think?

Starscream
04-30-03, 12:39 PM
It's Dell, it probably works well but it uses proprietary parts. Therefore I'll never buy one.

Kain
04-30-03, 12:53 PM
I am not sure whether these PCs use proprietary parts as they are meant to be a "gamers' PC" and upgrading plays a vital part in such PCs.

jAkUp
04-30-03, 12:58 PM
it only has 256mb memory... but the rest of the specs look good

Kain
04-30-03, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by jAkUp
it only has 256mb memory... but the rest of the specs look good 256MB??

They offer upto 2GB of dual channel DDR-SDRAM! :eek:

Starscream
04-30-03, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by Kain
I am not sure whether these PCs use proprietary parts as they are meant to be a "gamers' PC" and upgrading plays a vital part in such PCs.

From the dell site:

"Power Supply:_The XPS is packed with 460W power supply that is located in a separate compartment along the bottom chassis to minimize the heat transferred to other critical components."

The power supply certainly is proprietary, I'd hope it's a standard atx power supply just weirdly shaped, but I doubt it. It's probably dell only like so many of their others. This also has the effect of making the case pretty useless if you ever upgrade the mobo, where are you going to put a real power supply?

NightRaven
04-30-03, 10:21 PM
Well, standard Dell PSes have had industry standard ATX power connectors since the 4300 series. The ones prior had different wiring (with standard shaped connectors), but post-4300, Dell PSUs work according to ATX standards. This one is probably the same.

-=DVS=-
05-01-03, 03:57 AM
Originally posted by Kain
256MB??

They offer upto 2GB of dual channel DDR-SDRAM! :eek:

They do not offer its basic spec for any MainBoard you can upgrade it in the future by buying 4x512Mb DDR-SDRAM :rolleyes:

stncttr908
05-01-03, 08:03 AM
I don't think there really is any use for these high end OEM PC's. I mean come on, anyone that is really wrapped up in the latest games probably has the know-how to put together their own system. I remember when Alienware used to be the **** to own, and now it just seems amatuer.

Lunar
05-02-03, 12:28 AM
Amen brother. I like my high-end HOME-BUILT PC.

Although, I am glad to see dual-channel ddr in an OEM environment.