PDA

View Full Version : Uncharted disk no longer works...:(

tornadog
03-24-08, 01:14 PM
So I was playing uncharted with my new DS3 white controller when I realized I had turned off rumble in the XMB before starting the game. So I hit the PS button, went into controller setting and turned it back on. Resumed game and for some reason my character was walking in slo-mo on screen. Then it came to what looked like a cutscene and screen went blank and wont come back on. Tried to go back into xmb by quitting the game and it would just be stuck at waiting. Had to power off using switch on back. turned ps3 back on and restarted uncharted, saw the gold medallion spinning for a while then blank screen. tried to eject disk and ps3 rebooted. tried again and this time mediallion just kept spinning...again eject caused reboot.tried other games, heavenly sword, motorstorm and R&C and all work fine as dandy with rumble working just fine. Its only this game

Lyme
03-24-08, 01:21 PM
Dirty disc? Did a full system reset?

msxyz
03-25-08, 02:46 PM
Blu Rot ?

With the data layer being only 0.1mm from the surface I wouldn't be surprised if bluray discs are more prone to detachment (or air infiltration) of the lower plastic substrate after prolongued use.

tornadog
03-26-08, 02:33 PM
System reset didnt help...so sadly I returned the game back to gamefly having completed 78% of the game. I was hoping I would see the end, but that will have to wait!!!!

BioHazZarD
03-26-08, 03:02 PM
Something happend to the disc then that sucks similar happend when i had 360 suddenly the game just stopped working and i replaced for new and it worked.

1337_Like_ThaT
03-26-08, 03:20 PM
A co-worker of mine had a similar issue where he received his copy of Ratchet & Clank TOD from GameFly, poped it into his PS3 and everytime the PS3 attempted to boot, it would lock up when reading the Disc and never load the game. So Im sure it was a bad disc or something

tornadog
03-27-08, 12:46 AM
I borrowed a copy from blockbuster using my free monthly coupon and the game works fine. So it was indeed a bad disk.

crainger
03-27-08, 05:06 AM
I really hope BD rot doesn't strike us earlyish adopters.

msxyz
04-02-08, 01:22 PM
Maybe it's only a few defective batches. Even CDs and DVDs, despite being on the market for a long time, are not completely immune to rot yet. From time to time some CDs will stop working for no apparent reason.

Pressing a CD is a pretty trivial operation but it must be executed flawlessy. All it takes is a suboptimal composition of the bonding glue, contamination of the platters or incorrect temperature / pressure during the assembling stage and you'll have a flawled disc that will eventually rot in a few years.

JigenD
04-02-08, 03:26 PM

I saw threads about it on AVSforum, only affects defective disks, but there was some movie (the prestige?) that did have a fair amount of bad copies.

LycosV
04-02-08, 07:14 PM
I remember the first James Bond movies that came out on DVD had problems with them falling apart. If I remember correctly they used some weird alternative with the foil layers though that didn't react well to time.

crainger
04-02-08, 07:25 PM
::(:

I have the first PAL releases of the Bond movies. Hope mine wont fall apart.

Although it is an excuse to get the BD versions when they arrive. ::D:

LycosV
04-03-08, 12:42 AM
::(:

I have the first PAL releases of the Bond movies. Hope mine wont fall apart.

Although it is an excuse to get the BD versions when they arrive. ::D:

If they're not dead yet, they aren't the batch I was talking about. The bad ones they made died within a year or something. At the time people were freaking out that all DVD's would die quickly, but it was just those specific ones.