PDA

View Full Version : Vista SP1, nvidia 169.25, Dual monitors no go, color managment no go!!

tomb18
03-24-08, 06:40 PM
Ok, I upgraded to Vista SP1 (64 bit) and ever since, I can no longer have 2 displays. It gives me 1 display only and I can no longer do into the display properties and extend my desktop on to the other monitor. Nothing happens.
Also, my primary display no longer says " Generic Plug and Play Monitor on GForce 8800GTX" it only says "on gforce 8800GTX" .

I addition to this, I have a color managed systemn with a screen calibratoretc, and they no longer work nor can I attach a profile to this "on gforce 8800GTX" since it no longer has a name.

Anybody know what is happening??????

The last time I installed SP1(pre release candidate) I had the same as above and I tried reinstalling the 169.25 drivers only to have a real mess, with color managment screwed up even more than above.

Are there drivers that are tested with SP1 yet? And support dual displays?
Thanks

AthlonXP1800
03-24-08, 06:54 PM
You need to install Forceware 174.70, it support multi displays.

tomb18
03-24-08, 08:54 PM
really ?? Does SLI work?
I don't trust nvidia much anymore...after all multi displays with nvidia was broken for a lonnnng time.

AthlonXP1800
03-25-08, 12:04 AM
Yes SLi now worked under Vista since last year. Here are many members on this forum running SLi on Vista.

H3avyM3tal
03-25-08, 07:36 AM
I have am using both Vista 64 and the .25 drivers and I am using 2 monitors. Try restarting Vista when you already have the 2 monitors plugged in.

tomb18
03-25-08, 08:16 AM
Ok I resolved the dual monitor issue and I now know how to fix the color management.
The problem seems to be this: During the installation of Vista SP1, I was asked for the driver for my monitor, a Sony GDM-W900 which Vista no longer has in it's install library. So Vista did not install a driver.

If I look in the display properties, the monitor is not named at all. Usually you see something like "Generic Non plug and play monitor of Gforce 800GTX". All that is displayed is "on Gforce 8800BTX" . If I look in the nvidia control panel the monitor is identified as a Sony GDM-W900.

If I look in the device manager, it is clear that the monitor is not installed. So if I scan for hardware changes, it will detect my monitor and add it as a generic non plug and play monitor" and then everything is OK. The color managment works and everything is great.
In the nvidia control panel, it identifies the monitor as a non plug and play monitor.
However, when I reboot and go back into Vista, the monitor is no longer listed and in the nvidia control panel it shows the monitor as the Sony GDM W900.
It seems that the nvidia drivers are resetting the monitor type and Vista doesn't know about it.
I don't know what to do at this moment. Somehow, I need to get the nvidia driver to stop using it's own monitor detection and let vista use it's Generic monitor driver. Anyone know how?

manentia
05-24-08, 09:34 AM
I'm having the same issues (color related/dual monitor)... will continue to research and post back here if I find anything.

SpunkyXL
05-27-08, 10:08 AM
SLI and cloning monitors still does not work

ikjadoon
05-27-08, 03:08 PM
SLI and cloning monitors still does not work

Wow, that just kills it. Was thinking about grabbing another GTS 640MB, but bah, screw it. Thanks for the heads up!

~Ibrahim~

SpunkyXL
05-27-08, 10:19 PM
Wow, that just kills it. Was thinking about grabbing another GTS 640MB, but bah, screw it. Thanks for the heads up!

~Ibrahim~

yea, your going to have to choose one of the monitors to display when using SLI..Can't use two at the same time, unless you disable SLI.

ikjadoon
05-28-08, 06:15 PM
yea, your going to have to choose one of the monitors to display when using SLI..Can't use two at the same time, unless you disable SLI.

That is just ridiculous. I've never heard such a weird thing. It is not like it is two different renderings, it is clone of one onto another! Fungus nuts.

~Ibrahim~