PDA

View Full Version : Opinions please...

Pages : [1] 2 3

Redeemed
03-24-08, 10:37 PM
Well, the rig in my sig has been sold. I'm in the process of removing all of my data and such from it, and then re-installing Windows. So for a brief period I'm gonna' be without a gaming rig. I am investigating my options in regards to credit cards, as I'm now 21 years old and have ZERO credit. Wanting to purchase a truck, I'll be needing to take out a loan and that requires having either a co-signer... or a good line of credit. Which currently, I have neither. Getting the good credit score would be the easiest option for me.

My plan? Once I settle on a credit card to go with, my first purchase on it will be a new computer. But I'm having a hard time deciding what I want to buy. So, I'm hoping to have the infanitely wise folk here offer their finest reckoning. ;)

Currently, this is what I own for my new rig:

-Intel Core2 Duo E6600
-Intel "BadAxe" mobo
-CoolIt Eliminator

Yup, that's it. :p But... I'm really wanting a quad core rig. Bottom line I want a rig that will be excellent for gaming, and super fast for just general usage. When it comes to regular usage the rig in my sig was plenty fast enough. But I'm kinda' flustered with SLi right now as it's scaling seems sketchy at best. For a brief period of time I had it working properly and was playing Crysis (DX10) at 1680x1050, all in-game options at "High", no AA or AF or any of that jazz. FPS never dipped below 25fps. That was perfectly playable for me. I got about 75% through the game and suddenly FPS just tanked. Tried starting the game from scratch... no go. Reinstalled the game and tried it without any patches, with the first patch, with the second patch- no go. Tried different drivers, used Driver Cleaner. Nothing. Cannot get SLi to function properly, atleast with Crysis. So, this has naturally left a bad taste in my mouth.

I've opted to keep my E6600 and Intel BadAxe mobo and try some QuadCrossFire lovin'... I'm pretty sure that could play Crysis at 1680x1050, all in-game options at "High" with not other AA or AF related jazz and have atleast 25fps. I could also sell my E6600 and Eliminator when the Q9450s come out and go with high-end air cooling like the Ultra120 extreme.

But I also know that if I ever want to use AA and AF and my native res then nVidia and SLi is where it's at.

So all in all I'm wanting some opinions from ya'll. What do you think of AMD's chipsets? For what I could sell the E6600, Eliminator, and Intel BadAxe mobo for I could purchase a Phenom9500 plus a new mobo with AMD's 790FX chipset. That'll do QuadCrossFire just fine and I'd have quad-core goodness.

The E6600 goes for $230 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115003&Tpk=Core2%2bDuo%2bE6600) on Newegg. I'd imagine I can get *at most* $160 for it.

The Intel "BadAxe" (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813121059) mobo currently goes for $219 on newegg. I'd imagine I could get $130 for it *at most*.

The CoolIT Eliminator (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835227001) Goes for $189 on newegg. I'd probably get say $90 for it *atmost*.

All together, that's $380 *at most* that'd I'd get for the E6600, mobo, and Eliminator. With that much cash, I can then get this mobo (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813136044), this proc (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103226), and then have about $40 left over to put towards some RAM. I could then use my new CC to purchase dual 3870x2s, the hard drive, case, PSU, optical drives, and case fans.

Or would you recommend keeping my current board, going with QuadCrossFire, and selling the E6600 later and the eliminator and going with the Q9450? How are AMD's chipsets compared to Intel's? Also, is CrossFire a little more reliable then SLi? Comparable? Less?

I'm mostly seeking you're own personal opinions. I'm going to take that, and mix it with what I've been reading in the reviews, to help form my own opinion and make my decision.

Thanks in advance for you suggestions. :D

methimpikehoses
03-24-08, 10:46 PM
Sell the coolIT but keep the rest... and wait for the GX2's to drop in price or just hold out till the next big thing.

You probably won't get those prices... and you have to pay for shipping and things. It'll end up being more trouble to swap stuff out.

Do you already have DDr2 RAM?

Redeemed
03-24-08, 10:55 PM
Sell the coolIT but keep the rest... and wait for the GX2's to drop in price or just hold out till the next big thing.

You probably won't get those prices... and you have to pay for shipping and things. It'll end up being more trouble to swap stuff out.

Do you already have DDr2 RAM?
No. All I have is what was listed- the Intel BadAxe mobo, E6600, and the Eliminator.

I'm really not pleased with nVidia and SLi. It seems more of a headache anytime it is *needed*... such as Crysis. My hope is that CrossFire is less of a headache *when needed*... if you know what I mean.

methimpikehoses
03-25-08, 12:02 AM
No. All I have is what was listed- the Intel BadAxe mobo, E6600, and the Eliminator.

I'm really not pleased with nVidia and SLi. It seems more of a headache anytime it is *needed*... such as Crysis. My hope is that CrossFire is less of a headache *when needed*... if you know what I mean.

Well all you need is 4GB of Ram for $100, and a cheapo GPU to tide you over till the next big thing... I recommend a 88GT or 96GT or 88GTS if you are gaming at anything under 1920x1200.

My GT plays everything fine with low AA at 1920x1200. Except Crysis, no-AA 30FPS, but I'm sick of that game anyway. :D

It's up to you if you really want to crossfire, but it just seems like all that switcheroo stuff will just add up... time and shipping costs FTL.

Redeemed
03-25-08, 12:55 AM
Well all you need is 4GB of Ram for $100, and a cheapo GPU to tide you over till the next big thing... I recommend a 88GT or 96GT or 88GTS if you are gaming at anything under 1920x1200.

My GT plays everything fine with low AA at 1920x1200. Except Crysis, no-AA 30FPS, but I'm sick of that game anyway. :D

It's up to you if you really want to crossfire, but it just seems like all that switcheroo stuff will just add up... time and shipping costs FTL.
:wtf:

The Intel BadAxe mobo fully supports quad CrossFire:

http://game.amd.com/us-en/crossfirex_components.aspx?p=2#intel

Technically, all I need right now is the RAM. I have a PSU I can use, and a 7900GT w/512MB of framebuffer. It's only the RAM holding me back. I have a case I can use, hard drive, optical drives, fans, etc. But really, I don't want to get it assembled temporarily, place the order for the parts, and re-assemble it. Lotta' hassle if you ask me.

Rather just build it once and call it good. ;)

I have an old ASUS A7V333 mobo and AXP 2800 that I was gonna' use with my 2GB G.Skill DDR500 RAM and a old GeForce2 MX400. Was hoping to run Kubuntu 7.10 on it till I got my new gaming rig up and running- but I'm having nothing but issues with it. The live CD wont even load and it's a fresh burn! Loaded once to the desktop, froze, and now it wont let me get to the desktop at all.

So I might be going a week or so without a computer. :(

methimpikehoses
03-25-08, 01:14 AM
:wtf:

The Intel BadAxe mobo fully supports quad CrossFire:

http://game.amd.com/us-en/crossfirex_components.aspx?p=2#intel

Technically, all I need right now is the RAM. I have a PSU I can use, and a 7900GT w/512MB of framebuffer. It's only the RAM holding me back. I have a case I can use, hard drive, optical drives, fans, etc. But really, I don't want to get it assembled temporarily, place the order for the parts, and re-assemble it. Lotta' hassle if you ask me.

Rather just build it once and call it good. ;)

I have an old ASUS A7V333 mobo and AXP 2800 that I was gonna' use with my 2GB G.Skill DDR500 RAM and a old GeForce2 MX400. Was hoping to run Kubuntu 7.10 on it till I got my new gaming rig up and running- but I'm having nothing but issues with it. The live CD wont even load and it's a fresh burn! Loaded once to the desktop, froze, and now it wont let me get to the desktop at all.

So I might be going a week or so without a computer. :(

Maybe you meant to post this on ATInews.net.

Get the crossfire set up.

See if I care.

:cry:

Redeemed
03-25-08, 01:16 AM
Maybe you meant to post this on ATInews.net.

Get the crossfire set up.

See if I care.

:cry:
lol

Yeah, it seems the route with the least hassle would be keep what I have, go quad CrossFire. Then when the Q9450s are out (I'm determined to get Quad core), sell the E6600 and Eliminator and purchase the Q9450 and the best air cooler available at that time.

Gonna' call my buddy whom is a manager at my bank. I'm gonna' see what the interest is if I get a CC through my bank. If it's not too bad, I may try to swing by there before work to get a new debit card, and apply for the credit card.

methimpikehoses
03-25-08, 01:18 AM
lol

Yeah, it seems the route with the least hassle would be keep what I have, go quad CrossFire. Then when the Q9450s are out (I'm determined to get Quad core), sell the E6600 and Eliminator and purchase the Q9450 and the best air cooler available at that time.

Gonna' call my buddy whom is a manager at my bank. I'm gonna' see what the interest is if I get a CC through my bank. If it's not too bad, I may try to swing by there before work to get a new debit card, and apply for the credit card.

You are a man of action! I would get two 3870x2's if I had a CC and your strange thirst for ATI cards...

Redeemed
03-25-08, 01:28 AM
You are a man of action! I would get two 3870x2's if I had a CC and your strange thirst for ATI cards...
lol- strange thirst for ATi cards? No single card (I'm excluding the GX2s and X2s) can run Crysis at the settings I want. The 9800GX2 is using SLi which I'm tired of fussing with, while the 3870x2s are using CrossFire, which I've been hearing more and more good things about. That isn't to say the "grass looks greener on the other side of the fence"... just that I'm tired of SLi and want something different without sacrificing performance.

If a rig running an E6600 at 3.4 to 3.6Ghz, 8GB DDR800, 1TB HDD space, and dual 3870x2s cannot keep up with the rig in my sig in Crysis... I'll be very close to ditching PCs for gaming altogether. :lol: That's gonna' be a lot of rig that I'm building. It should play Crysis just fine (DX9) with no AA and AF.

methimpikehoses
03-25-08, 01:30 AM
lol- strange thirst for ATi cards? No single card (I'm excluding the GX2s and X2s) can run Crysis at the settings I want. The 9800GX2 is using SLi which I'm tired of fussing with, while the 3870x2s are using CrossFire, which I've been hearing more and more good things about. That isn't to say the "grass looks greener on the other side of the fence"... just that I'm tired of SLi and want something different without sacrificing performance.

If a rig running an E6600 at 3.4 to 3.6Ghz, 8GB DDR800, 1TB HDD space, and dual 3870x2s cannot keep up with the rig in my sig in Crysis... I'll be very close to ditching PCs for gaming altogether. :lol: That's gonna' be a lot of rig that I'm building. It should play Crysis just fine (DX9) with no AA and AF.

Maybe you should just get a console, I've heard they're better. :bleh:

Redeemed
03-25-08, 01:59 AM
Maybe you should just get a console, I've heard they're better. :bleh:
NEVAH!!! :lol:

Bman212121
03-25-08, 08:00 AM
I voted for #4 as it is the best solution. :D However the budget mind not work so well so #2 would be my second choice.

XDanger
03-25-08, 09:50 AM
I voted other, but then noticed you MUST go quad ,so waiting for a proper comparison of Q9450/E8500 is out of the question.

Wolfhound
03-25-08, 10:12 AM
Get a Q6600 an a thermaright Ultra and OC the quad as much as possible

tijean
03-25-08, 10:41 PM
Why buy the last generation CPU ? Doesn't make any sense....... Go for the E8400 with more cache and better overall performance.

Coolit, you don't need that, air cooling with Thermalright Ultra is enuff.

Go for the 9800gtx or the 9800gx2.

4gb of ram abd Vistax64.

Redeemed
03-26-08, 12:41 AM
Why buy the last generation CPU ? Doesn't make any sense....... Go for the E8400 with more cache and better overall performance.

Coolit, you don't need that, air cooling with Thermalright Ultra is enuff.

Go for the 9800gtx or the 9800gx2.

4gb of ram abd Vistax64.
:|

Thanks for the input, but I'm not wanting to hassle with SLi, yet do want a dual card solution. Hence my determination to try my luck with CrossFire- Quad CrossFire specifically. :D

Well, I'm really leaning towards the idea of just keeping what I have for now and then later selling the Eliminator and E6600. That should cover *atleast* half the cost of the Q9450.

Went to the bank this morning and applied for their CC. Shooting for a classic Visa with fixed rates and a $1k to $1500 limit. Not sure what they'll give me. Once I get the card, I'll place the order. :D

Redeemed
03-27-08, 11:43 PM
I've made my decision.

I was anticipating purchasing an ASUS A8N-SLi Premium and Gigabyte SLi mobo, Opteron185, and 4GB DDR400 (4x1GB) G.Skill RAM from forum member amk21... but it appears that he got banned. So, this now frees up $395 that would otherwise have been tied up in that purchase.

So, combine that money with my paycheck for last week (recieved it today)... I'll be buying these items either tomorrow, or this weekend:

AMD Phenom 9600 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103244)

ASUS M2N32 SLi Dlx (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131011)

According to this (http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx) (you'll have to select the M2N32-SLi Dlx from the drop down menu to see what I'm referring to) that mobo supports the Phenom. So I'm gonna' go for it and hope it works. If not, RMA. :D

4 GB G.Skill DDR2 800 (2x2GB) (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231122)

And two of these Samsungs optical drives (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151154).

I'll be using this rig in an older X-Blade case, with a 600 watt OCZ Stealth Xstream PSU, 500GB SATA 3Gb/s HDD, and dual 7900GTs. Should make for a great system to tide me over untill: A.) I get my credit card B.) Intel releases the Q9450s full-force, and they're available for a reasonable price. C.) I sell both my E6600 and Eliminator.

So, in short I plan to have two rigs complete by the ending of next month. My main rig will be running a Q9450 with the best air-cooler available, the Intel BadAxe mobo, 8GB DDR2 800, 1TB Samsung HDD, and dual 3870X2s. My secondary rig will be the one with the Phenom. Eventually I'll bump the RAM up to the mobo's max supported amount. I also aim to drop another smaller hard drive in it so I can tinker with different Linux distros. Since that AMD rig will support SLi I just might get dual 9600GTs, or whatever card ends up being the best buy, and then giving my 7900s to a buddy of mine.

Anyhow, I'm looking forward to having these rigs fully operational. The Phenom rig I really don't aim to OC. I might try oc'ing the graphics cards, but honestly I'm wanting to just keep it stock. It won't be my main gaming rig, it'll primarily function as a rig that I can use to tinker with Linux distros, and a backup incase my main rig ever goes down.

Thanks a lot for your guys input. I really do appreciate it. :)

ViN86
03-27-08, 11:50 PM
any reason for the decision of going with the Phenom vs C2D or quad core intel?

mainly price?

Redeemed
03-27-08, 11:55 PM
any reason for the decision of going with the Phenom vs C2D or quad core intel?

mainly price?
Mainly price and lack of hassle. I'm devoted to be quad-core only. :p And from the reading I've done nVidia's chipsets seem to have greater stability with AMD procs. That Phenom 9600 has a combo deal with that G.SKill RAM that'll save me $50.00- and I can then compare SLi and CrossFire side by side. Wont be 100% accurate but it'd suffice for me. I'd be able to enjoy the best of both worlds, the list goes on. :p

The biggest reason was price. Since the AMD rig will be my secondary, I really don't have to purchase many components to get it up and running. As with the Intel setup, I've still got practically the entire rig to purchase. That's quite a bit more spendy. As such, I'm wanting to use that purchase (for the Intel rig) to break in my credit card when it arrives. :)

ViN86
03-27-08, 11:57 PM
nice. tbh, i dont think you will notice a difference. ppl on here scream about how much worse AMD's are, but at the end of the day, you wont notice any difference real time.

mullet
03-27-08, 11:58 PM
Dude at least go with a 9650 that the TLB Issues are fixed on.

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTQ3OSwxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

Redeemed
03-28-08, 12:03 AM
nice. tbh, i dont think you will notice a difference. ppl on here scream about how much worse AMD's are, but at the end of the day, you wont notice any difference real time.
That's what I'm suspecting. Considering how I'm 100% content with my current rig, save for the fact SLi seems to be borked in Crysis for me, there's no way the Phenom setup will be disappointing. :D I'll only be that much more satisfied I'd imagine.

And once the Intel Quad-Core setup is up and running, I'll be even more satisfied. So regardless, it's an all around upgrade for me. :)

Dude at least go with a 9650 that the TLB Issues are fixed on.

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTQ3OSwxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

Can't as they're not available for sale yet. Also, that issue is triggered by activites that'll more than likely never be performed with this computer.

When the B3 Phenoms are available, and if they yeild a considerable enough performance improvement, I'll sell the 9600 for cheap and snag up a B3. I'm just wanting a fully functional and complete rig before the ending of next week. And currently this is the method I'll have to take to accomplish that.

mullet
03-28-08, 12:24 AM
Phenom 9650 (2.3GHz, 95W, 2MB total dedicated L2 cache, 2MB L3 cache, 3600MHz HyperTransport™ bus, socket AM2+) $215 effective 4/7

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Corporate/VirtualPressRoom/0,,51_104_609,00.html?redir=CPPR01

Redeemed
03-28-08, 12:29 AM
Phenom 9650 (2.3GHz, 95W, 2MB total dedicated L2 cache, 2MB L3 cache, 3600MHz HyperTransport™ bus, socket AM2+) $215 effective 4/7

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Corporate/VirtualPressRoom/0,,51_104_609,00.html?redir=CPPR01

I'm not going without a computer for nearly 2 1/2 weeks partner. The rig in my sig... gone come this weekend. Not sure how I'm gonna' survive without a computer for several days (till my order arrives), let alone several weeks! :p :lol:

Guess I'll be selling that 9600 almost as soon as it arrives. :D

Just saw this BFG 8800GTS (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814143122) at Newegg. It's listed as having 640MB of framebuffer, and 112 stream processors. All for only $289.99. Is that accurate or a typo on Newegg's part? If accurate, I'll snag two of those ASAP for that AMD rig. :D What do you guys think?

Here's a screengrab so ya'll know what I'm talking about:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y225/Sir_Farts_A_Lot/8800GTSBFG.jpg

Redeemed
03-28-08, 01:16 AM
Well, seems I'm in luck. I found an old ASUS A7V8X-X mobo lying around my room. Fired it up in a test rig configuration (IOW "Out of Case") just to see if it'd work. And it does. In fact, it's what I'm using now to type this. Running Ubuntu 8.04 (beta) from the LiveCD. Gonna' shut her down now, properly assemble the system, then install Ubuntu 8.04. Good bye Vista x64 and gaming awesomeness. :bye: Hello Linux and uber-geeking in command prompt! :D

So, it looks as though this is gonna' be my new rig untill I get the parts next week. :rolleyes: Such a massive downgrade from what I currently have. Oh well... I'll be rockin' something quite a bit better in just under a week so nothing to sweat over. :D