PDA

View Full Version : Playing Starcraft w/o a CD?

Pages : [1] 2 3

six_storm
03-25-08, 09:04 AM
I've recently been going through my gaming library and playing some old games, hence Starcraft. There is some information on the official SC website about playing without the CD but it does not work. Are there any other ways around this besides a no-cd hack? I still want to be able to play on Battle.net since a buddy of mine is going to play as well.

crainger
03-25-08, 09:24 AM
Do a multiplayer only install?

I'm pretty sure that is an option when you put the CD in.

sharvin
03-25-08, 09:25 AM
I don't think so, but you could always you know stick the cd in?

six_storm
03-25-08, 09:51 AM
I don't think so, but you could always you know stick the cd in?

I know but it's kind of a PITA when you play CoD4 too. ;)

crainger
03-25-08, 09:54 AM
I know but it's kind of a PITA when you play CoD4 too. ;)

2 drives FTW!

arioch21
03-25-08, 09:55 AM
the last patch recently released took off the need for cd, I believe fileplanet had the instructions with the patch.

amk21
03-25-08, 10:01 AM
Would you like to join my newly formed starcraft clan? MFPS, 3 members including myself, we are always looking to expand

six_storm
03-25-08, 10:02 AM
the last patch recently released took off the need for cd, I believe fileplanet had the instructions with the patch.

See that's exactly what I did. You are supposed to copy the "install.exe" from the CD, put it under "Starcraft" and rename it to "starcraft.mpq". My version is the latest version (via patch) but it still won't run without the CD. WTF?

2 drives FTW!

I'm working on that. I ran out of SATA ports on my mobo and I'm about to buy a HDD external enclosure. :D

LurkerLito
03-25-08, 10:02 AM
This why I like steam, but at the same time hate it. No CDs in steam but if you wanted CoD4 you have to pay full price, even though you can get it for as low as $29 from gogamer when it's on sale.

I installed warcraft 3 the other day because it got an official no cd patch. Too bad I just haven't played it past the first 3 missions since I bought it years ago :). Maybe I should look for my Starcraft disc also I know I have it somewhere, but I don't remember ever hearing of an official no cd patch for it.

six_storm
03-25-08, 10:45 AM
Would you like to join my newly formed starcraft clan? MFPS, 3 members including myself, we are always looking to expand

I'll see about that. I haven't played SC in about 2 years and I suck right now, so I'm no pro. I was going through the campaigns again just to get familiar with the game again . . . and trust me, I suck lol.

amk21
03-25-08, 10:47 AM
I'll see about that. I haven't played SC in about 2 years and I suck right now, so I'm no pro. I was going through the campaigns again just to get familiar with the game again . . . and trust me, I suck lol.
Me and two of my friends decided to start playing again after we saw the new starcraft II fight scenes. I think we have like 1 win and 12 loses, we get pwned by those Koreans:(

six_storm
03-25-08, 11:00 AM
Me and two of my friends decided to start playing again after we saw the new starcraft II fight scenes. I think we have like 1 win and 12 loses, we get pwned by those Koreans:(

ROFL! Yeah, it's awesome to watch them compete on YouTube. They are crazy fast! I brought the SC strategy guide to work with me so I can read a little during lunch. ;)

Is there a way that I can make a disc image and mount that image for it to work without the CD? I did that on my iBook but I dunno if it will work on Vista.

Buio
03-25-08, 11:02 AM
I guess you followed the instructions here:
http://us.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?articleId=21150&rhtml=true

You sure you had filetypes visible so you didn't rename the file to starcraft.mpq.exe?

six_storm
03-25-08, 11:03 AM
I guess you followed the instructions here:
http://us.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?articleId=21150&rhtml=true

You sure you had filetypes visible so you didn't rename the file to starcraft.mpq.exe?

Yup, sure did.

amk21
03-25-08, 11:04 AM
ROFL! Yeah, it's awesome to watch them compete on YouTube. They are crazy fast! I brought the SC strategy guide to work with me so I can read a little during lunch. ;)

Is there a way that I can make a disc image and mount that image for it to work without the CD? I did that on my iBook but I dunno if it will work on Vista.
I think you are looking for something like this>

http://www.slysoft.com/en/gamejackal.html

If you don't feel like paying of r it, do as I did(lee)

six_storm
03-25-08, 11:07 AM
I think you are looking for something like this>

http://www.slysoft.com/en/gamejackal.html

If you don't feel like paying of r it, do as I did(lee)

Haha, I won't be paying anything for this solution. I'll just have to search around the Interwebz . . . ;)

amk21
03-25-08, 11:09 AM
Haha, I won't be paying anything for this solution. I'll just have to search around the Interwebz . . . ;)
Did you not get my hint, DOWNLOAD THE TORRENT< IT WILL WOR FINE(lee)

six_storm
03-25-08, 11:15 AM
Did you not get my hint, DOWNLOAD THE TORRENT< IT WILL WOR FINE(lee)

That's why I said I'll be looking around t3H iNt3rw3Bzz!11one

amk21
03-25-08, 11:16 AM
That's why I said I'll be looking around t3H iNt3rw3Bzz!11one
:retard: <me

RaidenWoW
03-25-08, 01:22 PM
Why not daemon tools?

Just rip the image and play from that.

six_storm
03-25-08, 01:26 PM
Why not daemon tools?

Just rip the image and play from that.

Wow, never seen that before. I'll give it a shot.

RaidenWoW
03-25-08, 01:34 PM
You can rip 5 cds and mount them all in a virtual image at the same time (as long as you properly rip them). I suggest clonecd or other good programs. Rip them to NRG, or BIN&CUE's.

Just as long as you have the hard drive space (700mb per CD), you can mount them and make it as if they're in your cd drive.

It's totally not illegal. You bought the game. It is your CD key. You have the disk. You're just protecting it from scratches.

I do this with Warcraft 3 and Starcraft. Any game that I can use a no-cd with (especially ones with 4gb dvd images) I'll do... but for small games like Starcraft, i keep the images mounted.

six_storm
03-25-08, 01:55 PM
You can rip 5 cds and mount them all in a virtual image at the same time (as long as you properly rip them). I suggest clonecd or other good programs. Rip them to NRG, or BIN&CUE's.

Just as long as you have the hard drive space (700mb per CD), you can mount them and make it as if they're in your cd drive.

It's totally not illegal. You bought the game. It is your CD key. You have the disk. You're just protecting it from scratches.

I do this with Warcraft 3 and Starcraft. Any game that I can use a no-cd with (especially ones with 4gb dvd images) I'll do... but for small games like Starcraft, i keep the images mounted.

That's awesome man! I'll definitly have to check this out tonight.

amk21
03-25-08, 02:51 PM
bahhhh edit

six_storm
03-25-08, 03:33 PM
Does anybody here still play? I'd like to scrimmage against some people if anyone has the time. The biggest problem I have is offense vs. defense. What I mean by that is that I get carried away with one or the other, I can't balance it out. I'll spend too much time/resources on either building huge armies, but no defense, or an awesome defense with nobody to go out and attack.