PDA

View Full Version : Man safari REALLY is FAST!!!

Pages : [1] 2

malachi1313
03-25-08, 11:35 PM
I downloaded and installed safari today and the difference is HUGE!!. My default start page is Futuremark\ community and I opened them both at the same time and Safari smokes IE. Running vista ultimate 64bit. I also compared pages side by side with fileplanet and safari looks better. Has something to do with the fonts they use or something. Fileplanets little white letters at the top of the page{links} have a rainbow/blurry effect that isn't present with safari. Pretty cool if you ask me...

AthlonXP1800
03-25-08, 11:51 PM
Well I downloaded to tested it out but here was no difference in speed, both are exactly the same. Yes the font are nice.

SLippe
03-26-08, 12:20 AM
Firefox FTW. :D

Bearclaw
03-26-08, 12:29 AM
QFT.

crainger
03-26-08, 01:23 AM
I love my Firefox. While I recently left Thunderbird for Live Mail for it's WM6 sync abilities. Nothing can take my Firefox.

Is Safari faster than the Firefox? Firefox plus fasterfox is pretty damn fast.

Forefox plus fasterfox plus in home proxy server equals lightning fast. ::D:

Sazar
03-26-08, 01:44 AM
I haven't gotten into Safari :(

It seems faster in some tasks, but then IE still seems faster than both Safari and FF in many things for me.

I use FF simply for the extensions. Safari looks like pants on Vista honestly :(

SLippe
03-26-08, 02:31 AM
I love my Firefox. While I recently left Thunderbird for Live Mail for it's WM6 sync abilities. Nothing can take my Firefox.

Why do you have an in-home proxy server?

Wolfhound
03-26-08, 05:15 AM

Because crainger is L33T

nekrosoft13
03-26-08, 07:08 AM
you sure you downloaded safari? or was it forced on you by itunes auto update.

skypx
03-26-08, 07:28 AM
I downloaded and installed safari today and the difference is HUGE!!. My default start page is Futuremark\ community and I opened them both at the same time and Safari smokes IE. Running vista ultimate 64bit. I also compared pages side by side with fileplanet and safari looks better. Has something to do with the fonts they use or something. Fileplanets little white letters at the top of the page{links} have a rainbow/blurry effect that isn't present with safari. Pretty cool if you ask me...

Can you post some screenshots? Thanks.

six_storm
03-26-08, 07:37 AM
Wow, this is probably the fourth good mention of Safari's new release I've seen. I might have to give it a good later today at work. I use IE at work (most of our server monitors only run in IE) and FF at home.

dxx
03-26-08, 07:39 AM
Safari does look really nice, but it's a dog to use. You know how in Firefox and IE, you can push the middle mouse button, and it'll activate the autoscroll function? You can't do that under Safari. Back to manual scrolling then, like 1998 all over again.

Or, back to Firefox.

diamonddave
03-26-08, 08:49 AM
I dont think Apple knows anything about a safe surfing environment. There are so many holes in their software and since they aren't constantly fending off vulnerabilities I just worry that using Safari is opening me up to stuff I've never even read about.

DL now, I'll give it a shot and see if it's really faster.

EDIT: malachi1313 maybe your IE install is hosed or you have spyware. Opened your homepage and it was faster in IE than Safari lol Dunno its not any faster then IE here on a clean system.

six_storm
03-26-08, 09:09 AM
Just tried Safari and even IE is faster. Apple software just doesn't belong on Windows. Now Apple software on a Mac freakin rocks, but not on Windows.

DiscipleDOC
03-26-08, 10:53 AM
+2

Starscream
03-26-08, 01:00 PM
I don't know how people can browse without middle click scrolling (aka autoscroll).

:thumbdwn:

Peoples-Agent
03-26-08, 01:49 PM
Blargh! Safari is an ugly mess... disgusting. Default fonts look crappy, and it's not faster than Firefox if you use Fasterfox addon.

crainger
03-26-08, 05:06 PM

My ISP only gives me 50gb per month. Having a dedicated proxy means sites I constantly visit, are stored on it and don't need to be re downloaded. Also helps with rolling out updates across all my PCs. One PC downloads the update, then the rest pull it of the proxy at LAN speeds. ::D:

AthlonXP1800
03-26-08, 05:11 PM
I don't know how people can browse without middle click scrolling (aka autoscroll).

Hey I have Microsoft Wheel mouse, always used middle wheel for manual scrolling but hardly used autoscroll. It so easy to use the wheel, I cant live without it. :)

einstein_314
03-26-08, 07:00 PM

I manage perfectly fine without it. I never liked it. Do you read while it is scrolling? I prefer to scroll then stop and read, scroll some more, read more.

Starscream
03-27-08, 12:36 AM
Do you read while it is scrolling? I prefer to scroll then stop and read, scroll some more, read more.

Yes I sure do.

Sazar
03-27-08, 12:47 AM
Safari does look really nice, but it's a dog to use. You know how in Firefox and IE, you can push the middle mouse button, and it'll activate the autoscroll function? You can't do that under Safari. Back to manual scrolling then, like 1998 all over again.

Or, back to Firefox.

There is 1 big fat button on apple branded mouse peripherals (except for the one with the roller ball thinger), come on :)

What middle mouse button? :D

nrdstrm
03-27-08, 01:15 AM
I manage perfectly fine without it. I never liked it. Do you read while it is scrolling? I prefer to scroll then stop and read, scroll some more, read more.

I have to agree...The only time I use the autoscroll is when I mistakenly press it...It happens about once a week...Each time I'm like "I forgot about that"...Then I turn it off and scroll manually...lol

methimpikehoses
03-27-08, 03:14 AM
Yes I sure do.

+1

I hate Macs. :D

grey_1
03-27-08, 08:22 PM

+1