Hi everyone,

I have reciently upgraded my setup to the following:

Inno3D Geforce 8800 GTS 512mg OVERCLOCK
Gigabyte S-Series X38-DS4
and a Q6600 Quad 2.4g
2 gig DDR2 ram
600 watt psu

aanyway, my final 3DMark05 score is 15623

I have not OCed anything yet and the only thing that I have played with is the Graphics card fan speed. My box has room for 2 90mm fans at the back and one on the side. At the moment I have a sh*t fan on the side which is all the cooling the box has :D

I will be getting some 90mm fans at the back and will upgrade the CPU fan from the standard one. a lot of the CPU fans out there seem really wide which might hit my ram cards...

Please feel free to leave any comments, I probably have a lot to learn about OCing etc...

Thanks in advance,

Andy.

methimpikehoses
03-27-08, 07:02 PM
OC your quad to at least 3.0ghz and you will be golden.

regards,

vim

SLippe
03-27-08, 07:08 PM
Needs more merwang.

gunmetalr33
03-27-08, 07:31 PM
OK, so do I need to invest in more cooling before OCing? keep in mind my case has virtually no cooling atm...

oh yea, what is the best way to OC a Q6600?

SLippe
03-27-08, 07:57 PM
OK, so do I need to invest in more cooling before OCing? keep in mind my case has virtually no cooling atm...

oh yea, what is the best way to OC a Q6600?
If your case is large enough, go for the Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme. Do you have any fans in your case at all?

gunmetalr33
03-27-08, 08:01 PM
I have one side fan but I think it doesn't do much if anything.

So I was thinking I would have to up the FSB to 333mhz which will see me to 3.0g.

What tools can you guys suggest to monitor the temps and make adjustments etc. Atm I have the software that came with my mother board but it seems a little poor.

thanks again.

SLippe
03-27-08, 08:14 PM
Yes, I'd get more fans for your case and a good CPU heatsink/fan such as the Tuniq brand. For monitoring temps and whatnot, get Core Temp and CPU-Z.

gunmetalr33
03-27-08, 08:56 PM
Just found a great link which should help me through the process:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=515316

what do you think?

Rummy
03-27-08, 10:33 PM
If your case is large enough, go for the Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme. Do you have any fans in your case at all?

LOL Tuniq Tower 120 extreme. I guess Thermalright and Tuniq got together.:)

vimcooler

mythy
03-27-08, 11:26 PM
retard unite :p

Harnagel
03-27-08, 11:31 PM
I have that same motherboard and cpu. Is your cpu a SLACR (G0)? If so I would think you very well may be able to hit 3.0 with stock cooling even in a cramped case. To test if an OC is good to go just download somethign like coretemp, and run Prime95. After running prime95 for an hour or so if your temps are 65C or under you should be fine.

gunmetalr33
03-28-08, 03:30 AM
My CPU is the GO Stepper version, SLACR... I just got Core Temp up and ran prime95 and guess what :D

After about 20 secs the temps went up to 70 deg c....

I think I need a new case?????

Oh, yea atm it is idling at 45 deg c per core...

this is all running standard clock speeds.

CaptNKILL
03-28-08, 01:02 PM
My CPU is the GO Stepper version, SLACR... I just got Core Temp up and ran prime95 and guess what :D

No, you need a new CPU cooler. More case fans will help, but a CPU load temp that high means you need a better cooler ASAP.

Harnagel
03-28-08, 04:02 PM

lol, dang bro those are some high temps.... What does CoreTemp say your VID is?

I have two Q6600s... The first is water cooled at 3.2Ghz and it hits 42C under load. The second is in an open case with a Scythe Infinity and it doesn't go above 45C under full load at 3.0Ghz.

You should probably get a different cooler, the ThermalRight Ultra 120 Extreme is by far the most popular choice.

To start with maybe you could take the cover off the case and see what kind of temps you get. If that deosn't help dramatically you should also make sure that your heatsink is properly mounted, your temps seem too high even for the stock cooler at 2.4Ghz.

gunmetalr33
03-28-08, 11:31 PM
I just got a Antec 900 and the core idle temps have now dropped to 36 Deg C. So thats about 10 Deg C under what my old case was producing.

After running prime95 for about 5 min the temps slowing started to reach 70 Deg c again but at least this did not happed after only 20 sec like the old box.

I am starting to think my mate who originally put this system together did not use that heat paste stuff that you put between your heat sink and the CPU as I don't remember suppling him with any and I don't think he would have had any lying around. Could that be the reason for the high temps???

cheers,

Andy.

Roliath
03-29-08, 12:17 AM
I just got a Antec 900 and the core idle temps have now dropped to 36 Deg C. So thats about 10 Deg C under what my old case was producing.

After running prime95 for about 5 min the temps slowing started to reach 70 Deg c again but at least this did not happed after only 20 sec like the old box.

I am starting to think my mate who originally put this system together did not use that heat paste stuff that you put between your heat sink and the CPU as I don't remember suppling him with any and I don't think he would have had any lying around. Could that be the reason for the high temps???

cheers,

Andy.
If you didn't have any thermal paste your system would not idle that low.

Those temps are normal, in my case I would get about the same on the stock cooler mainly due to the CPU VID being so high (I got unlucky).

Harnagel
03-29-08, 01:42 AM
The stock cooler comes with some thermal paste already on it, it's not very good but it's there. I still think your temps are a bit high. Did you have a chance to read the the VID from CoreTemp? Regardless, it looks like you're going to need to get yourself a new CPU heatsink and fan, go for the TRUE.

gunmetalr33
03-31-08, 05:08 AM
Core Temp reports the VID at 1.2875v at idle.

CPUZ has the core voltage at 1.152v at idle and the multiplier at x 6.0 with a core speed of 1600. Of course this increases under load to 2400.

are these voltages normal???

thanks again everyone.

Harnagel
03-31-08, 05:41 PM
Core Temp reports the VID at 1.2875v at idle.

CPUZ has the core voltage at 1.152v at idle and the multiplier at x 6.0 with a core speed of 1600. Of course this increases under load to 2400.

are these voltages normal???

thanks again everyone.
The VID on your CPU is alright, not great but not as bad as the 1.3000v on one of my quads. Your voltages don't seem abnormal, so I would say just get some better cooling for your CPU.

gunmetalr33
04-01-08, 09:34 PM
Yea I guess cooling the CPU better would be the right approach. ATM I don't need to OC the CPU yet as it plays games like Crisis fine on 1280 res with max everything except AA is set to X4 not X8...

Is their a noticeable difference going from the stock 2.4 to 3.0 in performance that is?

Harnagel
04-02-08, 12:30 AM
Hmmm, I don't game all that much so I couldn't really tell you.