PDA

View Full Version : XP 174.74 no longer allows 3rd video card for seperate dual display

speedpc
03-28-08, 12:40 PM
I have been using this setup for along time since my NForce4 days.
My current setup consist of 2 8800GT KO Series in SLI these cards are hooked up on a 28" HannsG Monitor using the 169.21 drivers from Nvidia. Then i have a 3rd video card which is an ATI PCI 9250 hooked up to a 21" Gateway this allows for independent screens and i can still keep my SLI. (We all know how this works in XP). We also know that this kind of setup does not work in Vista because of WDDM as stated here:
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/display/multimonVista.mspx

Well i just installed the XP Beta 174.74 and when i go to enable the ATI Card it says it is no longer supported by this version of Windows just like in Vista. So I uninstalled the 174.74 and went back to the 169.21 and now it is working again. So I got to thinking about this If the newer drivers do not allow for this configuration in XP anymore what did nvidia add to these drivers or remove from these drivers, and is it really a WDDM error in vista or is it just a driver issue. If somebody understands the registry entry for Nvidia drivers i would like to now what to look for, compareing the 169.21 to 174.74 to see what has changed. mmm this is very interesting (lol) Thanks

Revs
03-28-08, 01:14 PM
I always wondered if you could do that. No longer it would seem.

DeusGear
03-28-08, 05:46 PM
I am interested in this too. I know this is possible in xp, but in windows it's absolutely impossible to do?