PDA

View Full Version : High end settings you don't like...

Pages : [1] 2

NarcissistZero
03-28-08, 10:30 PM
So I was playing Oblivion tonight and was once again reminded how the HDR in that game is WAY too strong for me and how I preffer bloom. I also think the self-shadows look icky and leave them off as well.

In trying to think of other games with settings I could easily max but leave off anyway due to distaste, I was at a loss. Anyone have any examples of their own?

Starscream
03-28-08, 10:46 PM
I hate the motion blur effect.

ChaoticNick
03-28-08, 10:48 PM
Settings that offer minor and almost unnoticeable improvement in image quality for a significant performance drop. For example, the DX10/4x AA option in Gears of War and DX10 in Crysis (versus DX9).

Greg
03-28-08, 10:48 PM
A classic that comes to mind is Operation Flashpoint, with High detail Terrain...

High detail terrain caused the rolling hills to become bumpy ruts as if WW1 diggers had been active on a global scale. Not only did the visuals hardly improve, but gameplay changed completely. Driving a vehicle was like bouncing a ball, and the new 'mini hills' that appeared every few meters allowed new cover from enemy fire. Attempts like this at 'future proofing' game graphics always fail miserably, because there is some assumption that future games will simply have more of the same, not new things like bump mapping, reflections, better shadows, etc.

By the way, I also hate Bloom and Depth of Field and any other over bright, blury, or color reducing post processing effects. I can't wait to see a game boasting 'No Bloom!' on the box, I might just buy it straight away.

K007
03-28-08, 11:21 PM
Extreme use of motion blur and poor DoF (ie Medal of Honor Airborne).
Sunglass HDR mode...strong enough to even kill vampires playing the game.

All these new high end features are nice, but they have to be not overdone, and used with minimal effect without trying to go..HEY LOOK WE GOT HDR x10000%

I felt Witcher did a pretty good job of using its features in the game.

Eliminator
03-28-08, 11:35 PM
motion blur and depth of field i cant stand... i always keep it off.... only time i like motion blur is in racing games like project gotham 4

NarcissistZero
03-29-08, 12:03 AM
By the way, I also hate Bloom and Depth of Field and any other over bright, blury, or color reducing post processing effects. I can't wait to see a game boasting 'No Bloom!' on the box, I might just buy it straight away.

I hate them when misused, like Oblivion, but often they are used correctly, like Crysis.

crainger
03-29-08, 01:36 AM
I'm a wh0re and I like all high end settings.

CaptNKILL
03-29-08, 03:21 AM
Motion blur is one I usually disable unless I really have framerate to spare (like in STALKER or Source games). It just seems completely retarded to lower your framerate while moving so things appear to be moving smoother. :headexplode:

If the game is running at a good framerate, your eyes will make their own motion blur and you don't end up with laggy mouse input.

It does make things look a bit more realistic, but I don't think its worth the impact it has on aiming\framerate in Crysis.

NarcissistZero
03-29-08, 03:52 AM
It does make things look a bit more realistic, but I don't think its worth the impact it has on aiming\framerate in Crysis.

I'm more talking about options you could easily turn on, like in a game where everything runs smooth at max settings, but you still choose to keep it off. I agree with you on motion blur, that's one of the last things I turn on when getting a game to run well, but I do turn it on when I can. Oblivion's HDR I could easily use but do not.

nutcrackr
03-29-08, 04:51 AM
Bloom/HDR/Piss filters

CaptNKILL
03-29-08, 04:51 AM
I'm more talking about options you could easily turn on, like in a game where everything runs smooth at max settings, but you still choose to keep it off. I agree with you on motion blur, that's one of the last things I turn on when getting a game to run well, but I do turn it on when I can. Oblivion's HDR I could easily use but do not.
I actually like HDR in most games. I prefer the more vibrant and high contrast colors.

In some it looks like ass, but not as bad as bloom.

A lot of times I run my CRT in "super bright mode", it pretty much makes things look like HDR is on if a game doesn't support it.

Ywap
03-29-08, 05:05 AM
Depth of field is ok for me but i really hate motion blur with a passion.

ASUSEN7900GTX
03-29-08, 05:26 AM
i still keep motion blur adn DOF oFF in Crysis = better FPS

but the again there are many tweaks that gives great FPS and visuals with MB and DOF on

bu i thought CM DiRt used a bit too much bloom?

ARMA is another game that has ridiclous (spelling) reQ´s on the hardware no AA and NO AF maybe one can use evrything else on HIGH
but AA AF kills all framerate in ARMA

sharvin
03-29-08, 08:32 AM
I think mirror's edge HDR looks really good, but I usually tend to like most HDR.

g-a-m-e
03-29-08, 02:46 PM
I'm a wh0re and I like all high end settings.

:yes:

LT.Schaffer
03-29-08, 03:21 PM
ARMA is another game that has ridiclous (spelling) reQ´s on the hardware no AA and NO AF maybe one can use evrything else on HIGH
but AA AF kills all framerate in ARMA

Have you tryed the latest beta patch 1.11?
Also try setting AA to Very High.[some people have better FPS with it at that setting]

SH64
03-29-08, 05:19 PM
Prolly only bloom.

crainger
03-29-08, 06:53 PM
Prolly only bloom.

::(:

I thought you were a wh0re too.

Bokishi
03-29-08, 07:01 PM
I like all settings at 100x hold nothing back!

SH64
03-29-08, 07:14 PM

I thought you were a wh0re too.

Yeah but not a cheap wh0re who enjoys overdone colors :p

in Thief 3 & SS2 i did play without bloom for instance , but if it was used properly then i may keep it.

crainger
03-29-08, 07:16 PM
I like all settings at 100x hold nothing back!

Hell yeah. I even turn up digital vibrancy up all the way in my control panel. I take it to the limit!

SH64
03-29-08, 07:29 PM
Hell yeah. I even turn up digital vibrancy up all the way in my control panel. I take it to the limit!
You can go ahead & turn the contrast/brightness all the way up too! :D

JigenD
03-29-08, 07:52 PM
Personally I just hate any kind of competitive where I can be playing against people who may have turned down settings that improve eye candy yet reduce visibility (HDR, motion blur, DOF, smoke effects). I like eye candy, but I shouldn't have to play bad because someone outside can see me 10 feet into a pitch black room while turning 180 degrees and behind a smoke screen.

crainger
03-29-08, 08:10 PM
You can go ahead & turn the contrast/brightness all the way up too! :D

Why the **** would I do that?!