PDA

View Full Version : OEM Vista activation?

ATOJAR
03-29-08, 06:07 PM
OEM Vista Activation?

Guys say for example i wanted to formatt my hdd with vista oem(i like to formatt every few months or so), would i have to re-activate every time i formatt? or is re-activation only needed if my mobo dies and i need to re-install vista onto a new mobo?

Thanks. :)

bacon12
03-29-08, 06:22 PM
I put in my key at the time of install, and it activates once I get it fully installed.

AthlonXP1800
03-29-08, 06:23 PM
Why would you need to format every few months? It pointless, just install anti-virus with firewall such as Norton Internet Security 2008, free anti-spyware such as Spybot - Search and Destroy and best free defragment tool like Auslogics Disk Defrag to keep your PC clean for a year until you get new hard drive or new motherboard to install Vista again just once.

I installed Vista a year ago and it ran perfect, will install again in the next few months when upgrade to nForce Hybrid SLi motherboard, 8GB DDR2 RAM, Q9450 and probably Nvidia Geforce 9800GTX or upcoming GT200. :)

Dirthead
03-29-08, 07:03 PM
I think you have to call everytime. I asked the person who was telling me the code and he said that everytime you install this version of windows that you have to so to the OP you more in less have to activate it

ATOJAR
03-29-08, 07:13 PM
Well i already use Auslogics Disk Defrag & Spybot - Search & Destroy, but i just use windows firewall! ... are there any good FREE firewalls i can use with vista?

Mr Bigman
03-29-08, 07:14 PM
You can keep the OS intact for about 2 years before bitrot takes effect, but thats better than before.

Overtime the os gets degraded and files become rotted, and should be updated or repaired but thats easy with just rerunning the service packs.

I wouldn't bother with formatting every few months. too much work involved.

im a man with a very large sack. Ive went 4 years with 2k on a box withought a single issue.

crainger
03-29-08, 07:16 PM
Keep your files in the freezer Bigman. Stops them from rotting...

Digital_Trans
03-29-08, 09:31 PM
Here's how it all goes down for OEM Windows Vista!!!!

I have Windows Vista Ultimate x64 Edition OEM Full Version

I once had a motherboard go out on me so I had to gut the entire system and redo everything over again and Windows required me to re-activate. I had to call MS and get the low down and everything went perfect. Infact, I've called them over 4 to 5 times in the last year due to owning a crappy Asus Striker Extreme NForce 680i MB. I even went all out with an Intel X38 Maximus Formula SE Motherboard and re-installed and re-activated Windows Vista OEM over the phone with MS. Just so you know MS can't tell when you call them if you own retail or OEM. They will ask you so just say it's retail like I've done and then you can reinstall and validate the software on an entirely different computer system like I've already done a couple of times. So when they ask you if it's a retail version or OEM say it's a retailed boxed version. They can't tell based off the number you read to them if it's OEM or retail why do you think there asking you? LMAO!!!! That should help you! :D

Lfctony
03-30-08, 12:43 AM
I only had to reactivate after changing hardware... It was very easy though, reactivation was automated and worked fine this time. Last time was a bit of a hassle though.

ViN86
03-30-08, 12:54 AM
OEM Vista Activation?

Guys say for example i wanted to formatt my hdd with vista oem(i like to formatt every few months or so), would i have to re-activate every time i formatt? or is re-activation only needed if my mobo dies and i need to re-install vista onto a new mobo?

Thanks. :)
first activation sends a "hardware footprint" if you will, to MS. then everytime you activate it just checks your current hardware versus what was originally sent. so, i believe you can activate as many times as you like as long as you have the same hardware.

tbh, i would install it, activate it, then create an image of the drive so if you want to reinstall or clean the drive every couple months, then all you have to do is restore the image instead of installing/activating each time.

bob saget
03-30-08, 01:20 AM

I once had a motherboard go out on me so I had to gut the entire system and redo everything over again and Windows required me to re-activate. I had to call MS and get the low down and everything went perfect. Infact, I've called them over 4 to 5 times in the last year due to owning a crappy Asus Striker Extreme NForce 680i MB. I even went all out with an Intel X38 Maximus Formula SE Motherboard and re-installed and re-activated Windows Vista OEM over the phone with MS. Just so you know MS can't tell when you call them if you own retail or OEM. They will ask you so just say it's retail like I've done and then you can reinstall and validate the software on an entirely different computer system like I've already done a couple of times. So when they ask you if it's a retail version or OEM say it's a retailed boxed version. They can't tell based off the number you read to them if it's OEM or retail why do you think there asking you? LMAO!!!! That should help you! :D

what would you say instead of OEM? the OEM letters are in the code, do you say something else?

crainger
03-30-08, 02:08 AM
what would you say instead of OEM? the OEM letters are in the code, do you say something else?

LOL

He just guesses at the key on the phone till he gets one that works. Only took him 3 months last activation.

j0j081
03-30-08, 02:53 AM

what? so are you saying you could activate one copy of Vista on two computers using this method.

crainger
03-30-08, 06:13 AM
I think it would eventually be flagged as installed on more than one PC.

Digital_Trans
03-30-08, 08:38 AM
what? so are you saying you could activate one copy of Vista on two computers using this method.

No, only one computer but I was able to transfer an OEM version of Vista Ultimate x64 to another computer without any problems. Microsoft asked if it was retail or OEM. I said retail and then they gave me the new set of keys over the phone. LOL! :D

Digital_Trans
03-30-08, 08:46 AM

No, once I call them they ask me a couple of pre-install related questions. One of those is if you're copy of Microsoft Windows Vista is retail or OEM. I always say retail and then I get the new set of keys from MS. It's a very simple process and only applies if you've changed out hardware like a motherboard or failed hard drive...which I've had to do in the past. For those of you just wanting to do a fresh format of Windows Vista on the same PC without any major changes then you will have no problems and won't even have to call MS for a new set of keys because you're system remains the same. To my understanding OEM can not be transferred to another computer only retail but I've been able to do so even with OEM when calling MS and having to get a new set of keys due to a replacement motherboard. I tell them my copy is retail. I also tell them that my motherboard died and it had to be replaced and they hook me up with no problems which has been great so far. Infact, once my HP BlackBird 002 comes back from service I will have to call them again for a new set of keys because the motherboard, lower video card and power supply had to be replaced. These are examples of what I'm talking about and now you will clearly understand the process.......

bob saget
03-30-08, 11:07 AM
well, they would ask for product ID over the phone, the code that shows when you go to system properties, and right in the middle is says OEM, like this XXXX-XXX-OEM-XXX....etc.
what would you say instead of OEM? just say its not installed and give them the code from the box?

Digital_Trans
03-30-08, 11:10 AM
well, they would ask for product ID over the phone, the code that shows when you go to system properties, and right in the middle is says OEM, like this XXXX-XXX-OEM-XXX....etc.
what would you say instead of OEM? just say its not installed and give them the code from the box?

No, I give them the code on the screen when calling and I've not had any problems ever. Works for me everytime good luck!

RAY16
03-30-08, 11:59 AM
Well i already use Auslogics Disk Defrag & Spybot - Search & Destroy, but i just use windows firewall! ... are there any good FREE firewalls i can use with vista?

Try Comodo Firewall.

http://personalfirewall.comodo.com/download_firewall.html

j0j081
03-30-08, 09:44 PM
I have no idea what is going on in this thread.

einstein_314
03-31-08, 12:55 AM
No that's not the number you need to tell them. During the activation process, if you go "activate by telephone", it gives you a big long string of numbers you need to give to the person on the phone. It isn't the product ID that you tell them. I think the string of numbers is essentially your hardware footprint so they can check it on their end.

Once they're convinced that you should be able to activate again, they read you a big long string of numbers that you type in. And then it activates.

Digital_Trans
03-31-08, 01:13 AM
No that's not the number you need to tell them. During the activation process, if you go "activate by telephone", it gives you a big long string of numbers you need to give to the person on the phone. It isn't the product ID that you tell them. I think the string of numbers is essentially your hardware footprint so they can check it on their end.

Once they're convinced that you should be able to activate again, they read you a big long string of numbers that you type in. And then it activates.

You said it perfect! A complete is guide to reactivating Windows Vista retail or OEM LOL! This only applies if you need to reinstall onto another computer or if you changed out a major computer part such as a motherboard or new hard drive for the OS. Other wise if it's the same PC then you don't have to do anything other then reactivating right in Windows Vista you don't have to call MS. This should clear up any confusion because everyone knows you can't have the same copy of Vista on two different computers. Vista can be transferred to another computer without any problems but you will in many cases have to call Microsoft for a new string of new numbers to validate the install process. That's exactly what I've been doing with my OEM version of Windows Vista x64. I had a couple of issues with motherboard failure and so I had to reinstall Vista and reactivate once the motherboard was replaced because it didn't recognize the same system as before. Vista checks for hardware changes as you already know so if you upgrade alot like I do then you know the process rinse and repeat! :D