PDA

View Full Version : How do I cancel that kind of driver installation that asks for disks on reboot?

uOpt
03-30-08, 12:05 PM
How do I cancel a driver update that asks for a disk with *.sys after a reboot?

Long ago I inserted a random IDE controller into my machine and since then after each reboot I get dialog boxes asking for the disk with "ultra.sys" and "SRCDATA" after every reboot. This continues even after I don't have the controller in the box anymore :mad:

I know there is a a very easy one-step dialog box somewhere to cancel these across-reboot driver installations. Anybody can point me to it?

Thanks.

uOpt
11-28-08, 05:08 PM
Bump.

I still have the braindead thing ask for these drive-related files on every reboot.

I know that in the past I did successfully cancel such a across-reboot driver install, but now I can't find it.

Help!

XDanger
11-28-08, 05:27 PM
why cant you clean it out?

Drolfrawd
11-28-08, 06:14 PM
You might want to try this press start\run\type msconfig click startup programs and look down the list for the offending entry.

uOpt
12-28-08, 11:50 AM
why cant you clean it out?

Clean out where?

These half-installed drivers do not show up in hardware manager.

I *know* that there is some very simple menu somewhere where I can cancel these across-reboot driver installs. I just forgot where and it seems most people just reinstall XP when this happens :)

uOpt
12-28-08, 11:52 AM
You might want to try this press start\run\type msconfig click startup programs and look down the list for the offending entry.

No such program on my Win2K :(

wwec
12-28-08, 11:53 AM
Tried computer management > device manager > view > show hidden devices then look for the offending items in non-plug and play drivers?

Wolfhound
12-28-08, 12:06 PM
msconfig for win2k put it in c:/winnt/system32

http://www.perfectdrivers.com/howto/msconfig.html

uOpt
12-28-08, 12:13 PM
I used msconfig from XP, it works.

But all entries in there are clearly unrelated (mostly Nvidia and mobsync)

uOpt
12-28-08, 12:16 PM
Tried computer management > device manager > view > show hidden devices then look for the offending items in non-plug and play drivers?

I'm afraid that won't do.

All the actual hardware for which these drivers are for has been removed about 2 years ago. So nothing of this comes close to the device manager.

This is why I'm so pissed. For 2 years I get these stupid driver install dialog boxes every time I boot this installation (very rarely these days), although I don't even use the hardware in question anymore.

jeffmd
12-29-08, 01:41 PM
err...reinstall windows? its been 2 years. ^^

Wolfhound
12-30-08, 03:09 AM
I'm afraid that won't do.

All the actual hardware for which these drivers are for has been removed about 2 years ago. So nothing of this comes close to the device manager.

This is why I'm so pissed. For 2 years I get these stupid driver install dialog boxes every time I boot this installation (very rarely these days), although I don't even use the hardware in question anymore.

Have you uninstalled the drivers before removing the card? can you tell me what card it was (brand, model..etc) to search and give you the registry keys to delete.

uOpt
12-30-08, 11:03 AM
Have you uninstalled the drivers before removing the card? can you tell me what card it was (brand, model..etc) to search and give you the registry keys to delete.

The drivers were never installed. I never had the files on that CD that the sucker is asking for. I normally use these controllers under FreeBSD and Linux. When I dual-booted into Windoze it picked them up and started wining about wanting the CD. It never stopped.

Here are the controllers and their PCI ID:

05:06.0 Mass storage controller: HighPoint Technologies, Inc. HPT366/368/370/370A/372/372N (rev 03)

05:07.0 Mass storage controller: Promise Technology, Inc. 20269 (rev 02)

uOpt
12-30-08, 11:06 AM

Thanks.

The drivers were never installed. I never had the files on that CD that the sucker is asking for. I normally use these controllers under FreeBSD and Linux. When I dual-booted into Windoze it picked them up and started wining about wanting the CD. It never stopped.

Here are the controllers and their PCI ID:

05:06.0 Mass storage controller: HighPoint Technologies, Inc. HPT366/368/370/370A/372/372N (rev 03)

05:07.0 Mass storage controller: Promise Technology, Inc. 20269 (rev 02)

I don't want to reinstall this thing. I know for fact that this stuff is cancelable, because I did it before, I just forgot how. (as I said, it is not a new autostart application for each driver, it's hidden somewhere in some config file for some standard windows startup procedure)

Wolfhound
12-31-08, 02:07 AM
I have an idea, use autoruns, http://www.infocomercial.com/download/buscador.php?tipo=unico&id_programa=2737, and see if you can disable the automatic start of this, meanwhile I search for the registry hives of this devices.

uOpt
09-11-09, 06:21 PM
Just a bump in case anybody who didn't see the thread before has an idea.

This is really annoying. I know that I once found a switch to cancel these driver installs but no go.

t3hl33td4rg0n
12-13-09, 12:47 AM
have you tried adding environment variable?

DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES=1

then check device manager again under IDE ATA/ATAPI controller, hard disk controller and Storage controllers for greyed out items. I bet you will likely find the culprit that way. Be sure to enable hidden devices when you do this.

Absolution
12-13-09, 03:11 AM
have you tried adding environment variable?

DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES=1

then check device manager again under IDE ATA/ATAPI controller, hard disk controller and Storage controllers for greyed out items. I bet you will likely find the culprit that way. Be sure to enable hidden devices when you do this.

Yup, though to clarify - you type this in cmd prompt before launching device manger from said prompt.

Also, you may want to just check Non plug and play drivers as well.

uOpt
02-17-10, 05:39 PM
I'll try that the next time the box is up.

So then I can cancel the installation from the device manager?

Drolfrawd
02-17-10, 05:46 PM
No such program on my Win2K :(

You can download msconfig put it in system32 and then use it in the normal way

link http://www.perfectdrivers.com/howto/msconfig.html

uOpt
02-17-10, 05:53 PM
You can download msconfig put it in system32 and then use it in the normal way

link http://www.perfectdrivers.com/howto/msconfig.html

As I said earlier, I did this but it only showed unrelated hardware. The offending half-drivered hardware didn't pop up.