PDA

View Full Version : 9800GTX 8800GT 9600GT

darkbluesky
04-01-08, 06:20 AM
Hello,

I am looking for a new geforce card to complement my 7900GTX SLI, so using the thrid PCIe of my eVGA 680i SLI mobo. (I keep the 7900GTX for stereoscopic compatibility, they are the last ones that work for the moment...).

After reading this (and other forums) I have my choices to:

1- eVGA 8800GT 512 MB for 229 euros (stock clocks)
2- XFX 9600 GT 512 Mb for 159 euros (stock clocks)
3- Twintech 9800GTX 512 Mb for 285 euros (stock clocks)

All these cards/brands are in stock and in physical stores in my zone, so I could go this afternoon, (I am in France) and buy it (which I would like).

I play MOH:Airborne, IL2:1946, Crysis, COD4 mainly at the moment. Airborne and IL2 are not a problem for demanding horse power, Crysis is the most exigent, and of course I would like to play it, if not DX10, DX9 in High or Very High (tweaked).

What do you recommend? eVGA will allow me to join to its update program so it is a good choice, but the 9800GTX is a bit faster...and what about the 9600GT, will it be capable of moving Crysis? My 7900GTX move it smooth in Medium, but no way to go to High, (even only some options to High)

What would be your advice?

Thank you!

EDIT: I am not going to use very high res, so about 1280x1024 or so. Really, I don't have problems running in low res if required. I prefer to sacrifice resolution than graphic quality (options, post-porcessing, etc)

My rig is : Intel Q6600, eVGA680i SLI, 2 GB OCZ 900 MHz, 2x7900GTX.

r2d2d3d4d5
04-01-08, 06:48 AM
To further confuse things why don't you add the 8800GT 1GB in there, its in your price range and assuming you can get hold of it?

darkbluesky
04-01-08, 06:56 AM
To further confuse things why don't you add the 8800GT 1GB in there, its in your price range and assuming you can get hold of it?

I didn't know that it existed, anyway, I have not found it in any shop here, even in inet shops or by catalog...I guess the main advantage is for high res, it isn't?

On the other hand I could get a Asus 8800GTS 512 for 265 euros, or a Asus 8800GTX 768 for 260 euros...More confused :(

Revs
04-01-08, 07:10 AM
I assume you are wanting to use the third card for a second monitor!? The new drivers don't allow you to run dual view with SLI in XP any more and Vista drivers never did. Don't know if you are aware of this.

r2d2d3d4d5
04-01-08, 07:21 AM
Hm... what if he gets an ATI card?

darkbluesky
04-01-08, 07:29 AM
I assume you are wanting to use the third card for a second monitor!? The new drivers don't allow you to run dual view with SLI in XP any more and Vista drivers never did. Don't know if you are aware of this.

My idea is to use the SLI 7900GTX with some games or application and also stereoscopic use. But use the new card for games that do not run in stereoscopic mode, so at least, enjoying them with better image quality. The idea is too,

1. to connect the SLI main 7900GTX to a monitor, and when I want to use the new card connect this monitor to the new card in third slot, so doing it phisically I mean.

2. The other option is to have the SLI main 7900GTX connected to a monitor and the new graphic card to a DLP Projector.

Do you think I could have problems with that? I hope not, otherwise I should re-think all now.

Hm... what if he gets an ATI card?

The nvidia cards are the only that supports stereoscopic mode (although 8xxx series have some problems and 9xxx it seems the same too, but at least there is some hope that they could work...with ATI there is not any chance of this)

r2d2d3d4d5
04-01-08, 07:37 AM
I was just thinking of using the SLI + the ATI card so you can connect all at the same time - not sure if it's possible.

Revs
04-01-08, 07:39 AM
Anything from the 8800GT upwards will be more powerful than your 7900GTX's in SLI anyhow. You might aswell sell your old cards and buy one new one. An 8800GTS would be a superb buy at the moment. Or even two 8800GT's in SLI!

darkbluesky
04-01-08, 08:10 AM
I was just thinking of using the SLI + the ATI card so you can connect all at the same time - not sure if it's possible.

Ok. Anyway, I'm afraid of getting stuck with drivers. I believe it is not possible to have drivers for both, nvidia and ATI in the same OS.

In any case, I can't go now with a new SLI solution (money). So if I think in SLI, is only by adding a second one in the near future, but not now.

I could get a Asus 8800GTX 768 Mb for 260 euros, which is actually 6 euros cheaper (:p ) than the 8800gts 512, so I guess that for the same price, it's better the GTX. On the other hand the eVGA is 229 (so, only 30 euros less), but it has update program, which, seriously, now I don't know anymore if I shoud consider it or not.

One thing seems clear, the 9600GT is not recommended if I expect to run Crysis in, at least, High settings. It isn't? So if this is true, there are these options:

eVGA8800GT vs 8800GTX (I assume GTS 512 vs GTX -> GTX) vs 9800GT

Actually, don't know if the 9800 has some *important* benefits over the 8800gtx at side of a slight better performance. Has it? if not (to confirm) it will reduce the options to eVGA8800GT vs Asus 8800GTX...

4Aces
04-01-08, 09:36 AM
you're looking for a headache and nothing else. Trying to use 7xxx series drivers on the same machine with 8xxx or 9xxx series drivers? You do realize that they are not compatible and you cannot install one over the top of the other. Perhaps it you did a dual boot system and disabled one or the other but I'm pretty sure if you use a single card it has to be in the top slot which also is part of the sli setup, the other two are for dual and tripple sli. I could be wrong but I think you're attempting the square peg in the round hole thing, just won't work.

Revs
04-01-08, 09:43 AM
Actually, don't know if the 9800 has some *important* benefits over the 8800gtx at side of a slight better performance. Has it? if not (to confirm) it will reduce the options to eVGA8800GT vs Asus 8800GTX...

Very little in it. The 9800GTX is the same as the 8800GTX in most games and ahead in others. What resolution are you running in Crysis. Anything over 1280x1024 and you're gonna struggle playing Crysis on 'Very High' settings with anything other than a SLI setup, ie, GX2 or SLI'd GT's, etc.

darkbluesky
04-01-08, 10:40 AM
Very little in it. The 9800GTX is the same as the 8800GTX in most games and ahead in others. What resolution are you running in Crysis. Anything over 1280x1024 and you're gonna struggle playing Crysis on 'Very High' settings with anything other than a SLI setup, ie, GX2 or SLI'd GT's, etc.

I'll play at max 1280x1024 or even lower if needed, no problem. On the other hand maybe 4Aces has reason, and I can't use a single card in the third PCIe slot. I would like to find someone who had success with it...

Revs
04-01-08, 10:48 AM
Right then. For that sort of res. I would just do away with you current cards and get an 8800GTS512. There would be no need to use it as a third card as it'll be a fair bit faster than your current setup and it costs about 150 ish.

darkbluesky
04-02-08, 12:42 PM
Well, I can confirm that using a card in the main PCIe slot, and another in the third PCIe slot works. I have put one of my 7900GTX in the first slot, and the other 7900GTX in the third slot.

In Control Panel, System, Hardware, I have disabled the main one, restarted and I have found that in windows I have to connect the monitor to the output of the card in the third slot. The main card did not send any image.

When I disabled the card in the third slot and enabled the one in the main PCIe slot, it worked as if the system had only a card in the first PCIe slot.

I think that this could even open the possibilities to have mixed brand setups (which I can't test), as far as you have dual boot (triple or even quad boot if you want, as I have). One OS boot for each card.

In case of having two cards of same brand and generation (in fact, cards that could share same driver version), I guess you could avoid dual boot, but when you wish to use the other card you must restart and connect the monitor to the DVI output of the card chosen.

Unhappily my problem now is other. In my eVGA 680i SLI mobo, if I keep both 7900GTX in SLI and add a third high end card (so a card that takes the space of two slots), then I have not ANY PCI slot to put my Audigy 2 ZS (X-Fi or whatever)!!

I have lost also the possibility to put a rear metal plate with a serial port (branched by cable to the mobo), which I wanted to use for controlling my Projector. I could always use it in the space of the empty PCIe 1x but then I lost all my slots...

I guess I could get a USB X-Fi, but I don't know if they are more expensive or good or not so good as the internals (problems, compatibility, etc), and put the serial port in the plate of the PCIe 1x...

Tested in Win XP SP2 32 bits.

Revs
04-03-08, 02:37 AM
I don't understand why you would want to make things so complicated when you could just have one card and use it for everything. You could keep your sound card and still have more slots free. As I said before, one GTS512 has more power than your current setup anyway. You could probably sell both your 7900GTX's and get a GTS without it costing you anything!