PDA

View Full Version : Easy to remove stockcooler on 8800gtx for paste replacement?

Soetdjuret
04-01-08, 08:58 AM
Hello, i have a 8800gtx witch is about a year old. I thought like giving it some fresh new thermal paste (arctic silver 5) but was unsure how to do with the cooler. Is it any springs that may fly off or something that might break if i remove it? I can spot some white stuff between the mem's and the cooler, is that plaster or something? Will that stuff break if i remove the cooler?

Thanks for the help.

Revs
04-01-08, 09:07 AM
It should be very easy to remove the cooler, just undo the screws and it comes straight off. Then disconnect the fan wire. The GPU is pasted but the white things you can see are the thermal pads. You should really replace them too, don't paste them as the gap between the cooler and the RAM chips is quite large and only thermal pads will fill the gap.

Welcome to the forums :)

Soetdjuret
04-01-08, 10:28 AM
Thanks!

So new thermal pads is recommended? What about using the old ones? Or is that a bad idea?

Revs
04-01-08, 10:31 AM
Thanks!

So new thermal pads is recommended? What about using the old ones? Or is that a bad idea?

I've reused them in the past but they are very easily damaged. I would replace them for the sake of a few /$. Also, they tent to squash flat the first time they are used and may not contact propperly if reused.

ikjadoon
04-01-08, 10:41 AM
I'm in the same boat, but with the GTS 640MB. So, I should pick up some thermal paste and thermal pads BEFORE I clean out the heatsink, right? I shouldn't reuse them, then.

~Ibrahim~

P.S. Any recommendations for paste/pads? I'm leaning towards Zalman paste because it is so easy to apply, no idea about pads, though.

Shocky
04-01-08, 11:01 AM
I've reused the thermal pads with no issues, I wouldn't bother replacing them.

Soetdjuret
04-01-08, 12:23 PM
Why use thermal pads at all? Wouldn't squareformed copper pices do better?

Revs
04-01-08, 01:08 PM
Why use thermal pads at all? Wouldn't squareformed copper pices do better?

No. The copper wouldn't contact totally with either the heatsink or the chip. Atojar recommended some pads to me in another thread. I'll try and find it now.

You can get away with reusing the pads but if you damage one half way through you'll be pissed of if you don't have any to replace it with.

EDIT: The paste is called Sekisui double-sided Thermal Tape.

Armed_Baboon
04-01-08, 06:33 PM
why bother? are you trying to get a bigger overclock? I woulnd't do it just for the sake of maintenance.

Soetdjuret
04-02-08, 07:54 AM
Yes, it runs cooler and overclocks better. The standard thermal paste are often of pretty bad quality and often applied bad/wrong. So some top of the market, fresh paste "correct" applied can lower the temps by several degreeds believe it or not, especially on older cards. I plan to clean the sink aswell at the same time. Now i just need to find some thermal padding :)

ikjadoon
04-02-08, 07:17 PM
why bother? are you trying to get a bigger overclock? I woulnd't do it just for the sake of maintenance.

Both. One night, I got my card 18-hours stable with ATI Tool at maximum sensitivity @ 648MHz/1512MHz/1584MHz. But, next morning when I try higher clocks, I artifact. So I go back down to 648MHz/1512MHz/1584MHz, the clocks that ran 18+ hours straight with no artifacts the previous night. And guess what? No go; artifacts in mere seconds! Right now, I have it at 621MHz/1458MHz/1782MHz. Core nor shader will budge a single step, no matter what anything else is set do, even they are set below stock!

So, I'm thinking that this is probably why.

~Ibrahim~