PDA

View Full Version : Lite-On developing BD-ROM drives for Xbox 360

Pages : [1] 2

nekrosoft13
04-01-08, 03:36 PM
Lite-On IT is developing built-in Blu-ray Disc-(BD) ROM drives for the Microsoft Xbox 360 game console, according to industry sources. Lite-On declined to comment, citing client confidentiality.

Lite-On's shipments of the BD ROMs to Microsoft will start in the second half of 2008, the sources added. Lite-On is currently one of the suppliers of Xbox 360-use internal DVD-ROM drives.

Microsoft has decided to switch to BD for its Xbox 360 game consoles after Toshiba announced to discontinue HD DVD, the sources said. The BD-ROM drives that Lite-On is developing for Microsoft are for the next-generation Xbox 360 game consoles, the sources said.

Power supply makers also revealed that while the present Xbox 360 uses a 210-watt power supply, the next-generation game console will use a 170-watt power supply in order to reduce production cost and the size of the device, according to the sources.

Lite-On has already started steady shipments of BD-ROM drives and BD burners, the sources added.

http://www.digitimes.com/systems/a20080331PD214.html

ViN86
04-01-08, 03:39 PM
if this is true there better be a "step-up" program.

id love to play hi-def movies though :)

nekrosoft13
04-01-08, 03:41 PM
if this is true there better be a "step-up" program.

id love to play hi-def movies though :)

check calendar

|MaguS|
04-01-08, 03:48 PM
Actually this is all over the news wires... I don't think its an April Fools joke. If it is then they got everyone fooled...

Could prove true though, remember this rumor has been going on for awhile now with MS flipfloping on this matter quite abit.

nekrosoft13
04-01-08, 03:51 PM
i really hope its not true, not because i don't want to see xbox 360 get a blu-ray drive, but lite-on quality is very poor.

|MaguS|
04-01-08, 03:58 PM
i really hope its not true, not because i don't want to see xbox 360 get a blu-ray drive, but lite-on quality is very poor.
I have to disagree there, They make some great PC Drives. I had one for many years untill I broke it. I put on in my parents PC and its still running great after 3 years.

six_storm
04-01-08, 04:16 PM
If this is for real, then heck yeah! Just hope it's affordable . . . then I'll step up.

lIqUID
04-01-08, 04:18 PM
now if only 360s would not be as loud as vacuum cleaners we would be all set :D

Cream
04-01-08, 04:41 PM
Sad but true. I love my 360 but it will never make it into my front room as it's so bloody loud. PS3 for the win as far as blueray is concerned.

Lyme
04-01-08, 05:11 PM
I have to disagree there, They make some great PC Drives. I had one for many years untill I broke it. I put on in my parents PC and its still running great after 3 years.

I agree with MaguS, liteon makes some of the better optical drives for pcs.

ViN86
04-01-08, 05:15 PM
check calendar
i know but here's to hoping.

methimpikehoses
04-01-08, 05:18 PM
I heard Capt Stubing is working on a new BF-Drive. Details at 11.

crainger
04-01-08, 05:39 PM

Very true. I made it a point to only buy action HD-DVDs for my 360, now HD-DVD is gone I'm glad I have my whisper quiet PS3 for my BD needs. ::D:

|MaguS|
04-01-08, 06:02 PM
I agree with MaguS, liteon makes some of the better optical drives for pcs.

Then I shall change my original opinion... Lite-On sucks! :p

LycosV
04-01-08, 06:39 PM
This line:
"The BD-ROM drives that Lite-On is developing for Microsoft are for the next-generation Xbox 360 game consoles, the sources said."
makes it possible, but I think it's an April Fool's joke. You can't trust anything posted on the internet today.

Besides, Microsoft stood firmly to the no HD DVD drive built into the 360. I don't see why they'd cave to put a blue ray drive in there. Manufacturing costs of the 360 would go up, and it would create a compatibility gap in the same console generation (MS's reason not to do the HD thing).

crainger
04-01-08, 07:21 PM
They would cave in as they have huge user base, but a huge chunk of those will buy a PS3 just for BD content now that it is THE format to have. Being able to play BD on their own 360 system would further cripple the PS3s standing in the US.

nrdstrm
04-01-08, 07:27 PM
I'm sorry, but I worked in retail computer sales and management for 5 years. Lite-On had less defective units than all of the others combined....We sold Lite-On on a ratio of about 4 to 1 vs others (like Pioneer, Sony, etc), and even with that factored in, the Lite-On's had a lesser defective rate...They make a great product for PC...

As to the story, I STILL think it's an April Fools joke, but I hope it's not....

crainger
04-01-08, 07:29 PM
I'm glad you apologised for that nrdstrm. Apology accepted.

nekrosoft13
04-01-08, 09:18 PM

lite-on drive will just add to the noise, lite-on compared to other drives makes some of the loundest lowest quality drives ever.

nekrosoft13
04-01-08, 09:20 PM
I'm sorry, but I worked in retail computer sales and management for 5 years. Lite-On had less defective units than all of the others combined....We sold Lite-On on a ratio of about 4 to 1 vs others (like Pioneer, Sony, etc), and even with that factored in, the Lite-On's had a lesser defective rate...They make a great product for PC...

they might not "break" but from the start they get the most complains about noise, and overall cheap construction, like louse tray. look around cdfreaks.com cdrinfo.com people often ask why their lite-on drives are so noisy

crainger
04-01-08, 09:25 PM
I have a Lite-On plain jane DVD drive. Terrible noise. My Pioneer burner (which may infact be a lite-on drive itself) is as quiet as a mouse.

nekrosoft13
04-01-08, 09:26 PM
give me the model number on pioneer, i will tell what it is

S.I.N
04-01-08, 09:52 PM
This is obviously a April fools joke.:o

RaidenWoW
04-01-08, 09:56 PM
Obviously an april fools joke.

http://www.reuters.com/article/reutersEdge/idUSN1224707720080313

Read the article.

"Microsoft says no Blu-ray for Xbox 360"

Lyme
04-01-08, 10:48 PM
Obviously an april fools joke.

http://www.reuters.com/article/reutersEdge/idUSN1224707720080313

Read the article.

"Microsoft says no Blu-ray for Xbox 360"

"Xbox is not currently in talks with Sony or the Blu-ray Association to integrate Blu-ray into the Xbox experience,"

Just because I say "I'm not taking a ****", doesn't mean "I never take a ****".