PDA

View Full Version : Link between online gaming and violence killed off

evox
04-01-08, 08:07 PM
This is the finding of Miss Jane Barnett and her colleagues at Middlesex University. Their results will be presented at the British Psychological Society’s Annual Conference in Dublin today, Wednesday 2 April 2008.

The psychologists recruited 292 male and female online gamers, playing the game World of Warcraft. The players, aged between 12 and 83 years, were asked to complete a questionnaire on anger, aggression and personality and then played the game for two hours. After this time they were they were asked to complete the test again.

The psychologists found overall the gamers were more likely to feel calm or tired after playing – but there were differences depending on sex, age and personality.

Miss Barnett said: “There were actually higher levels of relaxation before and after playing the game as opposed to experiencing anger but this did very much depend on personality type.

“This will help us to develop a emotion and gaming questionnaire to help distinguish the type of gamer who is likely to transfer their online aggression into everyday life.”

Source: GamesPress

crainger
04-01-08, 08:30 PM
I saw a similar test here that found the same thing. Gamers are more relaxed even when playing violent games!

EciDemon
04-02-08, 02:10 AM
Then again, we've always been saying that, noone in a suit listens tho.

crainger
04-02-08, 02:19 AM
They do now as gamers get older and gain more momentum. As does the industry itself.

SLippe
04-02-08, 03:00 AM
I've always thought their argument was not what gamers felt before or after, but simply that gamers that grew up playing violent video games couldn't distinguish between fantasy and reality and became somewhat desensitized (sp) about killing in general. In other words, no respect for life. Shooting someone in real life was no big deal to them. See? Of course, I'm referring to extreme, rare cases. Anyways, just my two cents.

EciDemon
04-02-08, 04:41 AM
Well it's always been a sad state. Something bad happens and you can be sure someone blames a game (Music and Movies are popular witches to burn too). Columbine shootings and Doom for example.
I guess it's easy to do if you dont experience games your self. Very stereotypical stuff (pure ignorance if you ask me).

All is not lost as crainger points out, oldschool gamers are grownup with kids of there own now :)
We know what it is about and we are not killers.
Remembering back in the day at school it was generally considerd that Nintendo and consoles were gay and parents thinking it was unhealthy (you get square eyes and what not) yet sittin there staring at Tv show themselves. Nowdays everyone and there cousins have something games can be played on in one form or another.

But theres a pattern... books have been considerd tools of the devil, VHS spelled the end of the world as we know it -should you belive the nay sayers back when, and the list goes on. Nothing new really and some people still dont learn to embrace technology for what it is and the good it brings.

EDIT: Remember Mortal Kombat and the panic it stired up ?
For sure kids can not tell the difference since it looks sooo real, it's gonna be alot of spine ripping and head smashing if this isnt stoped.

nutcrackr
04-02-08, 04:47 AM
uhhh world of warcraft kills off the violence link?

Not quite, wow while can have its fair share of intense and stressful encounters I would not put it on the same level as BF or CS scrim.

EciDemon
04-02-08, 04:51 AM
You have to understand that Wow is a very universal tool, you can train the army with it and conduct all kinds of studies with as well, since it represent games and gaming as a whole so well ;)

Gaco
04-02-08, 05:44 AM
Would be more comvincing if they had chosen a violent game :/

Still good may shut up Jack Thompsons around the world just 10% more...

Madpistol
04-02-08, 09:22 AM
I always feel relaxed while playing games like TF2 and COD4. In fact, after a long day, I sometimes find myself unable to stay awake while playing.

Ninjaman09
04-02-08, 09:35 AM
uhhh world of warcraft kills off the violence link?

Not quite, wow while can have its fair share of intense and stressful encounters I would not put it on the same level as BF or CS scrim.
Haven't played Arena seriously, I see. ;)

ralinn
04-02-08, 09:44 AM
I've spoken to quite a few people in real life that I met online. The thing that surprised me was that the arseholes were always the complete opposite in real life.

I've met some real arseholes online... people that you would just HATE with a passion... then I met them without knowing who they were (I was told later on who I was speaking too). Some of the nicest people I ever met. It's just like a second life for some people so I've always thought the link to online games and aggression is bull****. It's not quite as simple as that. Apart from the rare case, people don't bring that attitude with them when around others.

If you like to hide behind your keyboard like a pussy then you do it.

If you like to be nice online and in real life, then you do that.

If you're a nut case, you're a ****ing nut case.

evox
04-02-08, 10:12 AM
I've spoken to quite a few people in real life that I met online. The thing that surprised me was that the arseholes were always the complete opposite in real life.

I've met some real arseholes online... people that you would just HATE with a passion... then I met them without knowing who they were (I was told later on who I was speaking too). Some of the nicest people I ever met. It's just like a second life for some people so I've always thought the link to online games and aggression is bull****. It's not quite as simple as that. Apart from the rare case, people don't bring that attitude with them when around others.

Isn't that funny? Try insulting someone's mother in real-life, he'll go ahead and break your face. So easy to be a internet tough guy, though. ;)

Ninjaman09
04-02-08, 10:35 AM

Very true! I knew a guy like this in college - he was a big counter-strike player and he was one of the most caustic assholes you'd ever run into on a CS server. Constantly complaining when he got killed, total dick when he killed you, causing all kinds of drama and problems for no reason. He was in my biology lab class and was a really cool person. Funny thing was he invited me to his CS server and that's where I saw him act like a jerk. But in class he got along really well with people. It was like a double life or something. More evidence in favor of:
http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/7388/20040319hqb4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

nemecb
04-02-08, 10:59 AM
First thought: "Again?" Second thought: "Killed off? Such a violent way of putting it. Clearly you've already been corrupted by the satanic things, so anything you say can't be trusted."

And for the record, if I get angry in a video game it isn't because of the violence, it's because of frustration with the game. Just last night I was swearing at my tv while playing a game...but it wasn't Halo or CoD, it was Nitro Bike. Unless you count the AI running you off the road (for some reason they can push you, but you can't push them:rolleyes:) that's pretty much nonviolent.