PDA

View Full Version : 9800GTX, have we hit a plateau?

Vanzagar
04-02-08, 10:12 PM
I can’t remember a time when there was such a crummy performance gain after a year and a half wait with the 9800GTX. This has to be the worst performance difference I have ever seen after such a long wait, I wonder if we are starting to see a plateau in the technology, I guess it’s too early to tell and we’ll have to wait until fall for the new lineup... but man am I the only one that is very disappointed with the new cards nVidia has put out over the last few months… sure ATI isn’t pushing them but still, after 18 or so months they push out this??

I mean we still can’t play Crysis at full settings on a decent monitor and
I’m thinking of getting a 22” monitor for my new system instead of a 24”, since the latest cards aren’t doing well with Crysis, sure it's not the only game out there but this leads me to believe when the next crop of decent games hit they would be struggling with those too…

At this point I’m leaning towards 8800gts SLI, which I see as the best bang for the buck right now…

Thoughts?

rh

SLippe
04-02-08, 10:22 PM
We don't need another thread about the damn 9 series. Yes, get the 8800GTS 512MB (G92) card.

grey_1
04-02-08, 10:23 PM
I'm looking at it in a different light. Nvidia has something else ready, or near ready to launch. The 9800 GTX is close to being on par with the 8800 high end, but is rolling out for much less money. EVGA has the card for $339USD on step up, the 8800 GTX was what, $500 at launch?

Hi end gaming for substantially less $$? Works for me if this is a trend they stick with.

On the other hand, they may have defeated a couple of generations of launches with the G80 GTX and Ultra too, bad A$$ cards they are.

Just mho of course.

jcrox
04-02-08, 10:35 PM
Last I checked the 8800GT in my sig was going for $170 each at newegg, it's an awfully good deal.

SLippe
04-02-08, 10:44 PM
Last I checked the 8800GT in my sig was going for $170 each at newegg, it's an awfully good deal.
That's the one I'll be picking up...soon. :thumbsup:

Madpistol
04-02-08, 11:00 PM
Correct. The computer industry always hits "snags" at certain points in the industry. This may be one of those points. I remember when Video cards were nothing more than a few visible chips and a small heatsink over the GPU. Now, it's standard for high-end cards to have hulking "full-card" HSF's on them. No one seems to mind either. Cooling has reached a limit, and I think Nvidia is trying to perfect their current technology before moving on to other challenges. A 2-slot cooling solution is ridiculous. Anything more than that is insanity. New GPU's are fairly cheap compared to cards a year ago, but the market still seems to be in limbo currently.

Bokishi
04-03-08, 03:01 AM
My guess is that this tech is already good enough for playing all of this year's games (except crysis) at full settings, so why should they spend another 400 million to make already fast games faster?

GitDat
04-03-08, 08:23 AM
My 8800 Ultra can't give me 60fps min on Crysis, Call of Juarez & King Kong:Gamer's Edition :thumbdwn: I'm a greedy bastage. Must have more powah! (nana2)

Narcidiot
04-03-08, 09:59 AM
I can’t remember a time when there was such a crummy performance gain after a year and a half wait with the 9800GTX. This has to be the worst performance difference I have ever seen after such a long wait, I wonder if we are starting to see a plateau in the technology, I guess it’s too early to tell and we’ll have to wait until fall for the new lineup... but man am I the only one that is very disappointed with the new cards nVidia has put out over the last few months… sure ATI isn’t pushing them but still, after 18 or so months they push out this??

I mean we still can’t play Crysis at full settings on a decent monitor and
I’m thinking of getting a 22” monitor for my new system instead of a 24”, since the latest cards aren’t doing well with Crysis, sure it's not the only game out there but this leads me to believe when the next crop of decent games hit they would be struggling with those too…

At this point I’m leaning towards 8800gts SLI, which I see as the best bang for the buck right now…

Take a long hard look at what is exactly out there to push those high end GPU's. One game.............ONE STINKING GAME CALLED CRYSIS. The rest are nothing more than poor crappy port overs from the Xbox 360 that do not really need anything greater than a dual core cpu and an 8800GT to run. Until game devs step up and give Nvidia and ATI a reason to come out with a ground breaking GPU then this is the way things will stay. I personally believe that the focus right now is on the crowd who owns the mid range systems and I do not see this changing any time in the near future.

PC gaming Fanboys do not want to hear the truth so you can expect that I will be banned here shortly for telling it the way that it is, but thats ok because it only shows how pathetic some people are.

Madpistol
04-03-08, 01:59 PM
Take a long hard look at what is exactly out there to push those high end GPU's. One game.............ONE STINKING GAME CALLED CRYSIS. The rest are nothing more than poor crappy port overs from the Xbox 360 that do not really need anything greater than a dual core cpu and an 8800GT to run. Until game devs step up and give Nvidia and ATI a reason to come out with a ground breaking GPU then this is the way things will stay. I personally believe that the focus right now is on the crowd who owns the mid range systems and I do not see this changing any time in the near future.

PC gaming Fanboys do not want to hear the truth so you can expect that I will be banned here shortly for telling it the way that it is, but thats ok because it only shows how pathetic some people are.

Actually, he was banned for being a deliberate flammer. I honestly have no problem with people voicing their opinion in a non-offensive form. If they start attacking other members, that's when they get banned.

CaptNKILL
04-03-08, 02:20 PM
I'm looking at it in a different light. Nvidia has something else ready, or near ready to launch. The 9800 GTX is close to being on par with the 8800 high end, but is rolling out for much less money. EVGA has the card for $339USD on step up, the 8800 GTX was what, $500 at launch?

Hi end gaming for substantially less $$? Works for me if this is a trend they stick with.

On the other hand, they may have defeated a couple of generations of launches with the G80 GTX and Ultra too, bad A$$ cards they are.

Just mho of course.
8800GTX was $600-$650 at launch. :o

I still can't believe I actually spent that much...

LovingSticky
04-03-08, 02:53 PM
My current dual-GPU 9800GX2 is 25% less than what single-GPU 8800GTX was priced 18 months ago.

9800GTX is (much) cheaper to produce than 8800GTX, NVIDIA could not sell 8800GTX indefinitely, and surely not for current prices. 8800GTX -> 9800GTX "launch" means only one thing - NVIDIA needs to stay profitable, and they HAD TO terminate production-costly 8800GTX.

hell_of_doom227
04-03-08, 06:59 PM
There is something else. Microsoft and Intel are killing PC Gaming platform.

Vanzagar
04-03-08, 07:06 PM
If MS killed the PC as a gaming platform, then I would very open to Linux...

namuk
04-03-08, 07:28 PM
the thing is i read alot of reveiws on the 9800 gtx but i never seen a review against a 8800gt factory overclocked version ie zotac or the alpha xxx there allways the standard version even the same with the gts 8800 . get them reveiws up and lets see how good the 9800 gtx is then . and also the gx2 is a 8800 series pff