PDA

View Full Version : SLI with two different cards.

David power
04-03-08, 06:45 AM
If I have a 8600GT in my pc now and get a 9800GX2 can i use SLI with the two or do they have to be the same card?

If i can do this what would The 8600GT Do for my performance ?

regards

Dave

SLippe
04-03-08, 06:52 AM
Not just no, but hell no! :D

You can use different vendors (MSI, eVGA, etc.), but the card types have to be the same. 8600GT with an 8600GT, and so on. If the clocks are different even with those two, sometimes it will up the slower card and sometimes it will lower the faster card. Depends on generation of card, I believe.

Why in the World would you want to add an 8600GT in with a 9800GX2? That's crazy talk! :retard:

K007
04-03-08, 07:28 AM
lol...sorry but this is like asking to fit a amd on a intel motherboard -.-...its just a no no.

It has to be the same product, ie 8800gtx/8800gtx. 9800gtx/9800gtx or quad 9800gx2/9800gx2.

You can mix/match vendors, but the clocks have to be the same...not sure on what happens when 2 different clocks are put in sli..i assume it will simply auto underclock the other card to match?..bios level?

Revs
04-03-08, 07:52 AM
Arn't nVidia working on making this possible with 9-series cards at some point?

SLippe
04-03-08, 09:51 AM
Arn't nVidia working on making this possible with 9-series cards at some point?
I can't imagine why. Why would anyone want to put a 9600GT with a 9800GX2? :wtf:

Put down teh hashish and step away...slowly.

Revs
04-03-08, 10:08 AM
I can't imagine why. Why would anyone want to put a 9600GT with a 9800GX2? :wtf:

Put down teh hashish and step away...slowly.

It wouldn't be a large increase, but a gain is a gain, aint it. I wonder if they'll manage to get it working propperly.

EDIT: I might be confusing it with HybridSLI (http://www.nvidia.com/object/hybrid_sli.html)

David power
04-03-08, 11:14 AM
Oh ok, I guess I imagined it would use the weaker card as a type of "virtual memory" allowing it to put data into the second card for proccessing or storage.

Does that sound crazy?

K007
04-03-08, 04:58 PM
Nope.

Also i remember them talking about something like this, ie mixing your gpus, so that the older gpu can be used as a physics card or something like that...i am guessing when they acquired aegia it doesn't matter anymore ><

David power
04-04-08, 03:18 AM
Nope.

Also i remember them talking about something like this, ie mixing your gpus, so that the older gpu can be used as a physics card or something like that...i am guessing when they acquired aegia it doesn't matter anymore ><

Nvidia own Aegia now? really?

CaptNKILL
04-04-08, 03:29 AM
Isn't the next nforce chipset going to allow "hybrid SLI" with the integrated video to give a small performance boost in 3D and conserve power in 2D? Or was that an AMD thing?

EciDemon
04-04-08, 04:28 AM
AMD has this feature, but only some GPUs are supported. Pretty cool tho that you can Crossfire with the integrated gpu for some extra performance. If i uderstood it corectly you can also crossfire supported missmatched cards.

Only speculations at this point, but since nvidia aquired Ageia and have been talking about moving physics to the gpu (and dedicate one card/gpu to it), maybe your 8600gt could still be used outside sli as a physics accelerator :)
I dont think it's been announced yet tho how this implementations is going to work, maybe cards must be in a sli setup for it to work.
But do hold on to 8600gt yet a while.