PDA

View Full Version : Any good PC Racing games anymore?

Pages : [1] 2 3

keith33
04-03-08, 01:54 PM
I'm looking for something like GT5 but for PC. Something that pushes the graphical limits, somewhat realistic, and isn't about rice cars or underground culture, lol.

Does such a thing exist? Will it ever exist? I feel like I need to buy a PS3 just to playing a good racing game.

asd
04-03-08, 02:11 PM
I'm looking for something like GT5 but for PC. Something that pushes the graphical limits, somewhat realistic, and isn't about rice cars or underground culture, lol.

Does such a thing exist? Will it ever exist? I feel like I need to buy a PS3 just to playing a good racing game.

Same question as when will PC have lots of SP rpg game title instead of bunch of MMO crap. :thumbdwn:
For me, NFS:PS, CmR:Dirt, GTR2, WTCC and TDU (if without bugs and shutter effect) are quite enjoyable for me.

Destroy
04-03-08, 04:32 PM
In short, no.

Seems we only get 1/2 GT5 on PC depending on what direction you want to go....

Test Drive Unlimited with outstanding car variety, great gfx, endless 'track' variety but it's only 1/2 when it come to car handling and behavior.

rFactor, GTR, LFS all excellent sims but they are less than 1/2 due to car realism or variety severely lacks.

If you haven't played TDU, I highly recommend it. It has great balance between sim and arcade in a HUGE interesting environment with live people 24/7 and infinite race 'tracks'.

Eliminator
04-03-08, 09:43 PM
i tried both GTR and TDU and they are nothing compared to the quality of games like gran turismo 4, forza 2 or project gotham 4... the latest decent racing game for pc is colin mcrae dirt but due to it being a crappy console port the performance is pretty bad the and controls dont feel right

Logical
04-03-08, 09:58 PM
Lets just hope that GRID can raise the bar a little and not just be another 'crappy console port' like DIRT was.

the_recluse
04-04-08, 12:30 AM
rFactor, GTR2, and TDU w/ a Logitech g25, all good.

agentkay
04-04-08, 09:13 AM
LFS, best racing game ever.

LordJuanlo
04-04-08, 09:20 AM
TrackMania Nations Forever is launching april 16th, trailer (http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/37902/TrackMania-Nations-Forever-Trailer)

BTW it's free

sMull
04-04-08, 11:03 AM
i tried both GTR and TDU and they are nothing compared to the quality of games like gran turismo 4, forza 2 or project gotham 4... the latest decent racing game for pc is colin mcrae dirt
Hope you are not serious. GTR2 is one of the best racing simulations out there.

Eliminator
04-04-08, 11:04 AM
Hope you are not serious. GTR2 is one of the best racing simulations out there.
it may be the best simulation but i just did not find it fun at all...

MustangSVT
04-04-08, 11:18 AM
PC only has ultra-realistic sims, so what you are looking for doesn't exist on PC.

LFS is the most realistic one, but has fantasy cars and tracks. It is however (in my opinion of course) the best online racing game of all time and up there with NFS Porsche as best racing games of all time. It does however take a hardcore racing fan to enjoy it (again in my opinion).

GTR/GTR2/GT Legends/Race/Race07 - all made by SimBin, very realistic, real track and real racing series, a lot of mods too, uses ISI engine just like rFactor

rFactor - the most mods out there, has the best F1 mods, it has some mods that essentially make it the best game out there for those racing series (i.e. F1)

Grand Prix 4 also has/had some really really good F1 mods last time I tried it.

TDU is nowhere near the level of realism of above games.

For a game with the stuff that you want (pushes graphical limits, somewhat realistic), your only options are:

- GT5 Prologue
- Forza 2
- PGR4 (more arcadey, but a lot of fun)
- F1 Championship for PS3

On older consoles (Xbox/PS2):
- Forza 1
- PGR2
- GT4
- RalliSport Challenge 2

JigenD
04-04-08, 11:21 AM
It's the difference between overall quality of a game and simulation fidelity. PGR4 and GT5P aren't very SIMMY, but the production values are miles ahead of anything else. PGR4 and GT5P (for examples) are built around having fun gameplay modes, great graphics and sound, and basically a cohesive experience. Basically they're better GAMES unless you really desire a very hardcore experience that may even be difficult for someone willing to spend the time to enjoy.

As far as a good racing game on PC though, Flatout UC is coming out soon, and I quite enjoy the 360 version.

BronzeGod
04-04-08, 11:34 AM
Forza 2 is the best racing game I have ever played. It should be released on PC.

agentkay
04-04-08, 11:39 AM
LFS when driven in a proper enviroment (event race with skilled, aggressive but fair racers that know how to compensate and give room and don't pull suicide moves) gives you such an adrenaline rush that it gets damn close of how a real-life race driver would feel. You actually feel nervous in certain situations, you feel pressure from other racers, its fun to out-smart racers or push them into mistakes without any contact whatsoever, just by pure mirror-pressure tactics. Its very satisfying to get into the "groove" of the tires and get into the "rhythm" and starting to outpace others. Wins actually are satisfying since you don't just race some stupid AI, and they are sweeter the better the racing was.

I have to laugh at the racing games on consoles, they are all junk compared to LFS. ;)

Noriega
04-04-08, 12:16 PM
[QUOTE=MustangSVT]
LFS is the most realistic one, but has fantasy cars /QUOTE]

I would disagree. For me most realistic is rFactor.

And if someone looking only for fun in racing I think Project Torque is what you should try to, TOCA3 is good, NFS if youre total noob, World Racing 2 if you bored as hell and also TDU and Dirt are good arcades.

Destroy
04-04-08, 12:16 PM
I fail to understand why PC does not have the likes of Forza2 or GT5? Who is the marketing genius that figures PC people don't want a game like those 2? :thumbdwn:

As said, TDU comes closest with decent sim balance in Hardcore mode, good production value with LOTS of REAL cars to choose from.

Noriega
04-04-08, 12:20 PM
I fail to understand why PC does not have the likes of Forza2 or GT5? Who is the marketing genius that figures PC people don't want a game like those 2? :thumbdwn:

As said, TDU comes closest with decent sim balance in Hardcore mode, good production value with LOTS of REAL cars to choose from.

+1

NFS always suck but sells well, even Russian Racers making money.

sMull
04-04-08, 12:23 PM
It's the difference between overall quality of a game and simulation fidelity. PGR4 and GT5P aren't very SIMMY, but the production values are miles ahead of anything else. PGR4 and GT5P (for examples) are built around having fun gameplay modes, great graphics and sound, and basically a cohesive experience. Basically they're better GAMES unless you really desire a very hardcore experience that may even be difficult for someone willing to spend the time to enjoy.

Simbin's games are of as high production values as any other well made game. I don't get what you are saying.

Tygerwoody
04-04-08, 12:57 PM
[QUOTE=MustangSVT]
LFS is the most realistic one, but has fantasy cars /QUOTE]

I would disagree. For me most realistic is rFactor.

And if someone looking only for fun in racing I think Project Torque is what you should try to, TOCA3 is good, NFS if youre total noob, World Racing 2 if you bored as hell and also TDU and Dirt are good arcades.
have you ever played LSF?

I own both. While RFactor has better graphics and has pretty good physics, LFS is still lightyears ahead of it in terms of driving realism. You litterally can't get more simulation than LFS.

And Gran Turismo is barely a sim. Sure its not full arcade, but its definitely nowhere near the realism you get from LFS or even rFactor(or the games based of the same engine as rFactor).

JigenD
04-04-08, 01:42 PM
Simbin's games are of as high production values as any other well made game. I don't get what you are saying.

I disagree, I own GTR, and it has nowhere near the production values of GT5P for example.
I don't even know where to start, everything from play modes to progression in gameplay to graphics and sound to interface.

Additionally, I don't find the sim factor of GTR to be that fantastic. Certainly more of a sim than Gran Turismo games (so far), but a lot of things bother me about the 'sim' aspects, especially the crashes, they feel very off.

Noriega
04-04-08, 01:44 PM
[QUOTE=Noriega]
have you ever played LSF?

I own both. While RFactor has better graphics and has pretty good physics, LFS is still lightyears ahead of it in terms of driving realism. You litterally can't get more simulation than LFS.

And Gran Turismo is barely a sim. Sure its not full arcade, but its definitely nowhere near the realism you get from LFS or even rFactor(or the games based of the same engine as rFactor).

GT for me is far away from sim. Physic in GT sucks not to mention no damages and colision model ( wait what colision model cause there is none). LFS have nice physic but cars slides to much I prefer GT Legends or rFactor there is good body balance and great FF feel. Of course some mods in rFactor sucks but some are very good look in Hall of fame.

@JigenD you completely missing the point of sim, better no waste your time and play GT.

m3dude
04-04-08, 03:32 PM
ur only choice is to go console for a high production value racing game.

MustangSVT
04-04-08, 05:18 PM
LFS when driven in a proper enviroment (event race with skilled, aggressive but fair racers that know how to compensate and give room and don't pull suicide moves) gives you such an adrenaline rush that it gets damn close of how a real-life race driver would feel. You actually feel nervous in certain situations, you feel pressure from other racers, its fun to out-smart racers or push them into mistakes without any contact whatsoever, just by pure mirror-pressure tactics. Its very satisfying to get into the "groove" of the tires and get into the "rhythm" and starting to outpace others. Wins actually are satisfying since you don't just race some stupid AI, and they are sweeter the better the racing was.

I have to laugh at the racing games on consoles, they are all junk compared to LFS. ;)
I couldn't have said it any better myself. The level of racing that the LFS community offers is unmatched by anything out there.

m3dude
04-04-08, 06:32 PM

well i disagree, and im sure the majority of gamers would as well.

JohnDio
04-04-08, 07:30 PM
Let's not forget Richard Burns Rally, the best WRC sim game available ;)