PDA

View Full Version : 7900 GS on Vista anyone?

slicep228
04-03-08, 08:04 PM
Is anyone running a Geforce 7900 on Vista 32 bit?

I am and I am very disappointed with it. I get low framerates in TF2 and after an hour or two of any graphics intensive program, my laptop overheats and shuts itself off. It is not a ventilation problem.

I am using NVIDIA's 7.15.10.9759 driver and have heard rumors that they are very flawed, but I have tried several others with similar results.

Can anyone suggest anything for me?

David power
04-04-08, 02:12 AM
Is anyone running a Geforce 7900 on Vista 32 bit?

I am and I am very disappointed with it. I get low frame rates in TF2 and after an hour or two of any graphics intensive program, my laptop overheats and shuts itself off. It is not a ventilation problem.

I am using NVIDIA's 7.15.10.9759 driver and have heard rumors that they are very flawed, but I have tried several others with similar results.

Can anyone suggest anything for me?

Hey mate. I have a 7900GS in my laptop too.

I find that its the effects the newer games use (like TF2) that kill this card. also large resolutions will kill it too. Its just not powerful enough for new games, like volumetric smoke kills it, HDR light kills it and running any amount of AA will kill it, your best bet is to do the coolbit 2.0 reg hack and over clock the bitch. also the fact that its a GS doesnít help matter. its a sucky card (I've had it a year and a half now)

As for why its over heating I donít know, laptops do that. I use mine in a dock so the fans are about an inch off the table, try make room for air flow.

I have only found 2 sets of drivers,

The dell ones that are very old and the forceware ones that are also old. I am using the dell ones because i get lighting problems with COD4 if I donít.