PDA

View Full Version : So exactly how is Vista more secure?

Pages : [1] 2

mailman2
04-04-08, 04:27 PM
I just picked up a copy of Vista... how exactly is it more secure? IE7 is the same, the firewall is the same.... Can anyone explain to me why everyone says it's more secure?

thanks guys...

Drolfrawd
04-04-08, 05:20 PM
I just picked up a copy of Vista... how exactly is it more secure? IE7 is the same, the firewall is the same.... Can anyone explain to me why everyone says it's more secure?

thanks guys...

Incorrect firewall not the same.

UAC is more secure

Kernel is locked in Vista , makes it more secure, but not impenetratable

mailman2
04-04-08, 05:47 PM
Incorrect firewall not the same.

UAC is more secure

Kernel is locked in Vista , makes it more secure, but not impenetratable

Well I guess what Im asking is how is Vista going to protect me from getting a virus. I disabled UAC because it was just annoying. I realize that the virus would be isolated to that user profile which is good, but I just dont see any way that Vista by itself is any less prone to getting an infection than XP.

crainger
04-04-08, 06:03 PM
Vista wont protect from a virus because whining AV companies out there wont let it. They would cry and jump up and down and yell MONOPOLY! IF vista came with an AV scanner.

Answer is, find 3rd party AV protection.

ATOJAR
04-04-08, 06:11 PM
Windows firewall & Defender work fine, i also use SpyBot S&D & Avast! v4.8 .. all keep windows clean.

nekrosoft13
04-04-08, 07:00 PM
Vista wont protect from a virus because whining AV companies out there wont let it. They would cry and jump up and down and yell MONOPOLY! IF vista came with an AV scanner.

Answer is, find 3rd party AV protection.

ms is lucky they haven't sue them for firewall and defender. how can it be, a customer gets a program for free with OS.

Zapablast05
04-04-08, 07:17 PM
I don't even use MS defender, I use Ad-Aware SE Professional. Works great with the active event/popup blocker.

mailman2
04-04-08, 08:23 PM
Thanks for the replies, but honestly no one has answered my question.

Vista is marketed as being more secure. How?

Drolfrawd
04-04-08, 08:49 PM

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/image.php?u=85612&dateline=1206509549

ViN86
04-04-08, 08:58 PM

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/8817/fredwardby3.jpg

"Hey, how exactly is a rainbow made? How exactly does the sun set? How exactly does the posi-trac rear end on a Plymouth work?

It just does. It just does."

(Joe Dirt lol)

crainger
04-04-08, 09:54 PM
::rofl:

Who is this guy? It's like GeeEighty vs The Witcher all over again.

crainger
04-04-08, 09:57 PM
ms is lucky they haven't sue them for firewall and defender. how can it be, a customer gets a program for free with OS.

It's funny. Linux and MacOS come with everything and is praised for it, when Windows tries to do the same, everyone is up in arms claiming they are 'forcing' us to use their products.

I love the way the world works. 'Lets hate the popular successful things.'

I hate Microsoft!
I hate America!
I hate 360!
I hate Oprah!
I hate evilchris!

einstein_314
04-05-08, 01:36 PM
::rofl:

Who is this guy? It's like GeeEighty vs The Witcher all over again.Are you referring to the OP? Because he asked an honest question and it hasn't been answered yet. It got the usual few replies, then the random pointless spam inducing pictures started as per the usual thread cycle around here.

mailman2
04-05-08, 02:00 PM
Are you referring to the OP? Because he asked an honest question and it hasn't been answered yet. It got the usual few replies, then the random pointless spam inducing pictures started as per the usual thread cycle around here.

Thank you for pointing that out. I still haven't gotten a solid answer on how Vista is more secure and will protect me. I've disabled UAC cause it was driving me crazy within 5 minutes of installing Vista.

Articles like this one concern me.

http://www.dailytech.com/Symantec+Says+Windows+Vista+Will+be+Less+Secure+th an+XP/article3389.htm

I just want to make sure running Vista is the right thing to be doing in this day and age.

Thanks again.

mojoman0
04-05-08, 02:28 PM
Windows Vista is the first operating system from Microsoft to be built from the ground up using the SDL development model. Every bit of code is scrutinized for Common Criteria Certification and security compliance checkpoints must be met along the way.

Services are now run with reduced privileges that contain profiles specifying allowed file system, registry and network activities. Further below the surface, the Vista kernel makes it harder for rootkits to elude detection, while better protecting against unauthorized patches.

Spyware and malware threats, meanwhile, are contained by the operating system's built-in scanning engine that is based upon Windows Defender. In addition, the Vista firewall extends the functionality added in Windows XP Service Pack 2 to provide full directional filtering and application blocking.

Potentially malicious applications are also restricted with Vista's new User Account Control feature, which has spurred a great deal of complaints from beta testers. UAC forces programs to run in a specific Integrity Layer, with a default of medium, and request elevated privileges from the user when performing system commands or writing to sensitive directories.

Internet Explorer 7 in Vista runs in a low Integrity Level known as "Protected Mode" in order to prevent malicious Web sites from compromising an entire system. Features such as a phishing filter and security status bar add further safety checks for users.

UAC additionally enables file and registry virtualization for programs needing administrator access. This capability will ensure backwards compatibility without sacrificing the security of Windows Vista. For example, a program trying to write files to the root of the hard drive will actually be writing to a special folder called the virtual store.

On the hardware level, Microsoft has implemented BitLocker full disk encryption. Using a TPM chip located on the motherboard or USB stick, BitLocker literally encrypts data while it is being written to the disk. If a laptop were stolen, the hard drive would be inaccessible without a recovery key.

Microsoft says the 256-bit AES encryption technology only causes a single-digit slowdown when communicating with the disk, and the majority of users would never notice it was running.

Vista will also support smart cards with its user-based file and folder encryption technology known as EFS. Moreover, integrated rights management (RMS) enables organizations to enforce access policies for individual documents, which would prevent them from falling into the wrong hands.

http://www.betanews.com/article/Microsoft_Vista_Most_Secure_OS_Ever/1150366131

Redeemed
04-05-08, 02:30 PM
Thank you for pointing that out. I still haven't gotten a solid answer on how Vista is more secure and will protect me. I've disabled UAC cause it was driving me crazy within 5 minutes of installing Vista.

http://www.dailytech.com/Symantec+Says+Windows+Vista+Will+be+Less+Secure+th an+XP/article3389.htm

I just want to make sure running Vista is the right thing to be doing in this day and age.

Thanks again.
To the best of my knowledge it will *not* prevent nor protect you from a virus or spyware infection due to companies like Symmantec crying and screaming "MONOPOLY!!! LAWSUIT!!!" when MS did try to include AV and AS with the OS.

The closest thing Vista has for protection from these sort of things is how the user profile is seperate from the kernal. Got an infection? Remove that profile and in theory you'll remove the infection. Aside from that, it does have a built in firewall and anti-spy. When I do run Vista, I run the x64 version and have yet to encounter a problem with it. x64 is so seldom used there's hardly a virus out there for it yet (in comparison to XP and Vista x32).

grey_1
04-05-08, 02:37 PM

Thanks again.
That's a 2 year old article.

When I ran Vista, and will be again soon, I still take all the same precautions I take with XP. AFAIK the main feature Vista offered was confining just how far a virus, or maybe even an inexperienced hacker could go WRT reaching the kernel etc.

The built in firewall is Uber configurable compared to the XP version - And I did have a friend scan my rig for vulnerabilities (gave him my IP) and all he could find was one port dropping instead of rejecting packets. So the firewall is apparently pretty tight.

Other than that I won't leave anything to chance, then again my browsing habits are less risky than some others :p ...

Redeemed
04-05-08, 02:42 PM
That's a 2 year old article.

When I ran Vista, and will be again soon, I still take all the same precautions I take with XP. AFAIK the main feature Vista offered was confining just how far a virus, or maybe even an inexperienced hacker could go WRT reaching the kernel etc.

The built in firewall is Uber configurable compared to the XP version - And I did have a friend scan my rig for vulnerabilities (gave him my IP) and all he could find was one port dropping instead of rejecting packets. So the firewall is apparently pretty tight.

Other than that I won't leave anything to chance, then again my browsing habits are less risky than some others :p ...
So you're running that new anti-fap software then, right? :p

ViN86
04-05-08, 03:15 PM
Are you referring to the OP? Because he asked an honest question and it hasn't been answered yet. It got the usual few replies, then the random pointless spam inducing pictures started as per the usual thread cycle around here.
probably because the same question could be asked in Google and there would be much more information. :|

ViN86
04-05-08, 03:19 PM

Thanks again.
did you read this section of the article?

According to the Symantec report, "Microsoft has removed a large body of tried and tested code and replaced it with freshly written code, complete with new corner cases and defects. This may provide for a more stable networking stack in the long term, but stability will suffer in the short term."

so, stability will suffer in short term but in the long term, Vista will be more secure. so, i wouldnt worry. not to mention that that article is from 2006. and here we are in 2008 with SP1 already out.

mailman2
04-05-08, 04:01 PM
did you read this section of the article?

so, stability will suffer in short term but in the long term, Vista will be more secure. so, i wouldnt worry. not to mention that that article is from 2006. and here we are in 2008 with SP1 already out.

Secure from what? Viruses? hackers? I realize isolating a virus in the profile is a cool feature. But Microsoft keeps saying Vista is more secure than XP and I dont see how, there isnt a built in AV software. Sorry, I just got Vista and I'm not sure this is gonna work for me in the long run. I'm having issues with 60Hz refresh, disabled UAC cause that was so annoying. I guess the only reason I'm running it right now is for directx 10 but even that isn't impressing me. :(

Redeemed
04-05-08, 04:43 PM
Secure from what? Viruses? hackers? I realize isolating a virus in the profile is a cool feature. But Microsoft keeps saying Vista is more secure than XP and I dont see how, there isnt a built in AV software. Sorry, I just got Vista and I'm not sure this is gonna work for me in the long run. I'm having issues with 60Hz refresh, disabled UAC cause that was so annoying. I guess the only reason I'm running it right now is for directx 10 but even that isn't impressing me. :(
Well, stop complaining and just put XP back on your computer then. Atleast with Vista if you do get an infection you can usually be rid of it without having to do a complete windows install.

Overall, your question has been answered... it's been stated that it does have a more robust firewall, user space seperate from the kernel, and included AS software- out of the box that is *significantly* more "secure" than XP ever was or will be. But MS, due to companies like Symmantec, cannot include AV software with the OS- otherwise they'd be sued. Not sure what else you're still curious about. Are you expecting somebody to break down exactly how the firewall works, and compare it directly to XP's? And then likewise for the included AS software? For the latter that'd be easy- XP has no included AS software.

What more do you want partner? :lol:

nekrosoft13
04-05-08, 04:57 PM

you already have pretty much all answers, start reading the thread, and stop repeating the samething over and over again

mailman2
04-05-08, 05:22 PM
you already have pretty much all answers, start reading the thread, and stop repeating the samething over and over again

You really failed to answer anything but you keep putting your 2 cents in. For having so many posts, they sure were useless to me.

mailman2
04-05-08, 05:23 PM
Overall, your question has been answered... it's been stated that it does have a more robust firewall, user space seperate from the kernel, and included AS software- out of the box that is *significantly* more "secure" than XP ever was or will be. But MS, due to companies like Symmantec, cannot include AV software with the OS- otherwise they'd be sued. Not sure what else you're still curious about. Are you expecting somebody to break down exactly how the firewall works, and compare it directly to XP's? And then likewise for the included AS software? For the latter that'd be easy- XP has no included AS software.

That was the most informative answer yet, at least it was a good summary of features. Thank you. I'll stick it out with Vista and see how it goes.