PDA

View Full Version : NVIDIA, WTF is up with all this stuttering??!

Ruined
04-06-08, 09:17 AM
My complaint is pretty simple. I have an 8800GTS on Vista x64. If I use 163.xx or below, no problem. If I use 169.xx or 174.xx, my entire system stutters when watching movies, listening to music, or playing games - every single a/v or gaming application. Uninstall the drivers and revert back to 163.xx (or even generic VGA), problem goes away. Rig is in sig, everything has latest drivers/firmware and several driver combinations were tried with the NVIDIA drivers being isolated as the primary cause... I hope the next set of WHQL drivers fixes this!

P.S. - any way to get the 169/174 "NVIDIA Control Panel" improvements while using 163.xx driverset?

edit: mods, move this to the vista section if you wish...

mailman2
04-06-08, 09:36 AM
I had the same problem in Vista 169.xx and up really had issues. Though a few later 174.xx seemed to alleviate this.

Ruined
04-06-08, 04:35 PM
I had the same problem in Vista 169.xx and up really had issues. Though a few later 174.xx seemed to alleviate this.

Which 174.xx? I tried the only 174.xx BETA available on Nvidia's site and that one gave me a heap of stuttering.

Shocky
04-06-08, 07:01 PM
Never had any stuttering with my 8800GTX/GTS or GT, either you got a dodgy card or the problem lies elsewhere.

mailman2
04-06-08, 07:03 PM
Never had any stuttering with my 8800GTX/GTS or GT, either you got a dodgy card or the problem lies elsewhere.

lol - these people always show up :headexplode:

I had better luck with the leaked betas than NVidias. I dont remember which set was the best, it was a few ago.

BronzeGod
04-06-08, 07:17 PM

Get out of here if you don't have a problem then.

I only get a slight stutter with DVDs.

Bokishi
04-07-08, 02:24 AM
169 had horrible video stuttering, they seem to be still there in 174, but about 90% less

sniviler
04-07-08, 06:44 AM
I seem to always revert back to the 169.61 quadro drivers , all around smoothest performance.

I get studdering mosty with the 174's when watching 1080p movies

Revs
04-07-08, 06:54 AM
Is your card OD'd?

Ruined
04-07-08, 10:35 AM
Is your card OD'd?

Its an eVGA Superclocked 8800GTS 640mb, at the speeds it comes stock. In fact, everything in the system is at stock speeds.

My stuttering happens in everything, Zune software playing back MP3s, PowerDVD playing back DVDs, and even obscure stuff like farb-rausch scene demos is affected. The audio skips and video pauses every 15 seconds or so. But it only happens with WHQL 169.xx and beta 174.xx, WHQL 163.xx is perfectly fine.

Blacklash
04-07-08, 10:40 AM
I've been using the Quadro drivers. Below is the latest if you want to try it. They work well here with Vista x64.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x64_169.47.html

I've been using them to push my 8800GT in my other rig too. That one has Vista HP x64 installed as well.

I might note I have system restore turned off on both rigs as it is notorious for causing stuttering in games.

I got stuttering with video playback when I was using RAID on my BX2 motherboard and I only had two hard drives with Vista x64 for whatever the reason. Without RAID I was gtg. I didn't try it again after I added a third disk.

Ruined
04-07-08, 10:48 AM
I've been using the Quadro drivers. Below is the latest if you want to try it. They work well here with Vista x64.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x64_169.47.html

I've been using them to push my 8800GT in my other rig too. That one has Vista HP x64 installed as well.

I might note I have system restore turned off on both rigs as it is notorious for causing stuttering in games.

I got stuttering with video playback when I was using RAID on my BX2 motherboard and I only had two disks with Vista x64 for whatever the reason. Without RAID I was gtg. I didn't try it again after I added a third disk.

I think that the stuttering may actually be a conflict with Nvidia + Intel RAID + possibly 4GB ram for some reason (I am using RAID as well), but only 169.xx and 174.xx give it a problem for some reason. Unfortunately I can't do much on the Intel side since I have latest mobo firmware/drivers and RAID drivers, and the drives are in Intel Matrix RAID meaning I need to use the Intel controller. I would just keep 163.xx but the NVIDIA control Panel sucks compared to the one in 169.xx and 174.xx. I'll give those drivers a shot if a WHQL 174 isn't out soon.

SilentMercury
04-07-08, 08:51 PM
If you are have stuttering problems, I can recommend a good speech therapist!(alf)

SJA06
04-08-08, 04:14 AM
I have found most of the 170 series and esp. the 174 drivers cause a very noticeable stuttery/jumpness in some, but not all, games. Dropping back to a 169 driver eliminates this, so it does appear the be a driver issue.

Currently trying 174.84 which do seem better, but I still get it to some degree.

Ruined
04-13-08, 03:49 PM
Just a heads up, I found 174.85 seems to work great w/o stuttering.

Mikan
04-14-08, 05:52 AM
Where do you get .85 from? Latest one I can find is .74

Also my stuttering problem seems to be related to how much I'm downloading..I've read a couple fix pages dealing with that, but haven't worked for me.

Nevermind found em here :

http://downloads.guru3d.com/

Going to try em out, thanks for the headsup. leaked, drivers, wow.

Mikan
04-15-08, 02:06 AM
Still stuttering with the .85 drivers, might have helped a little. My problem definitely seems to be related to a bandwidth problem that vista can't handle downloading and doing anything else (whole system, mouse and everything stutters if more than 100kb/s total upload/download is reached)at the same time, pretty sad since I never saw anything like this with xp.

henrybravo
04-15-08, 03:08 AM
Still stuttering with the .85 drivers, might have helped a little. My problem definitely seems to be related to a bandwidth problem that vista can't handle downloading and doing anything else (whole system, mouse and everything stutters if more than 100kb/s total upload/download is reached)at the same time, pretty sad since I never saw anything like this with xp.
And why do you think your issue is video driver related? Don't you think you should looking for a network related issue? (network drivers, etc).

HB

nekrosoft13
04-15-08, 07:48 AM

check your network very well, there is no reason for a OS to stutter with a 100kb/s of traffic. I can pull 80mb/s a second from my PC while playing and it will never miss a beat.