PDA

View Full Version : Stephen King FTW

CaptNKILL
04-06-08, 05:47 PM
http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/37937/Stephen-King-vs-the-Violent-Videogame-Bill

Stephen King, parent and part-time author, isn't a big fan of House Bill 1423, which would make it illegal for anyone under the age of 18 to purchase M-Rated games in the state of Massachusetts.

King made his feelings known in an Entertainment Weekly column:

And if there's violence to be had, the kids are gonna find a way to get it, just as they'll find a way to get all-day shooters like No Country for Old Men from cable if they want. Or Girls Gone Wild, for that matter. Can parents block that stuff? You bet. But most never do. The most effective bar against what was called ''the seduction of the innocent'' when this hot-button issue centered on violent comic books 60 years ago is still parents who know and care not just about what their kids are watching and reading, but what they're doing and who they're hanging with. Parents need to have the guts to forbid material they find objectionable...and then explain why it's being forbidden. They also need to monitor their children's lives in the pop culture — which means a lot more than seeing what games they're renting down the street.

If HB 1423 becomes law, will it remain law? Doubtful. Similar legislation has been declared unconstitutional in several states. Could Massachusetts legislators find better ways to watch out for the kiddies? Man, I sure hope so, because there's a lot more to America's culture of violence than Resident Evil 4.

I'm glad someone famous is putting a positive word out there to defend gaming.

Full article: http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20188502,00.html

crainger
04-06-08, 06:20 PM
Is Stephen King still famous?

Noriega
04-06-08, 06:24 PM

Who is Stephen king?

bob saget
04-06-08, 06:33 PM
yea, but he has lower post count then you.........:p

autobot
04-06-08, 07:37 PM
Who is Stephen king?

Isn't he that science noob in a wheelchair????

;)

3DBrad
04-06-08, 08:41 PM
Steven King is a dummy, why do I care what he thinks?

As for the "guy in the wheelchair," you're talking about Steven Hawking.

CaptNKILL
04-06-08, 08:48 PM
Personally, I don't care about his opinion any more than most users on this board... I just think its good that someone's defense of the gaming industry has been published in a large magazine. Rather than the usual "moms against video games" or Jack Thompson crap. The fact that a lot of people actually know who this is just makes it stick more with the masses.

sillyeagle
04-06-08, 09:07 PM
Wow I cant believe people are clueless as to who Stephen King is. Its not like he isn't the author of 40 best selling novels, and behind a good 15 movies, not only as writer but director, actor, etc.

Ever heard of these?

Stand by me
Pet Cemetary
The Shining
The Green Mile
The Stand

j0j081
04-06-08, 09:18 PM
Wow I cant believe people are clueless as to who Stephen King is. Its not like he isn't the author of 40 best selling novels, and behind a good 15 movies, not only as writer but director, actor, etc.

Ever heard of these?

Stand by me
Pet Cemetary
The Shining
The Green Mile
The Stand

It was a joke MORON.

crainger
04-06-08, 10:01 PM
We all knew, we were just joking.

Now Dean Koontz. WTF is with that guy?!

crainger
04-10-08, 07:39 AM
i knew also that you all knew. i was just joking.

Well I knew that you knew we know. I was just joking.

CaptNKILL
04-10-08, 11:05 AM
Well I knew that you knew we know. I was just joking.
Clearly.