PDA

View Full Version : p5n32-E sli plus motherboard problems

workingman
04-06-08, 11:08 PM
3 day old system consisting of a asus p5n32 e plus board, 4 gigs of ram, 8800 512 card,900 case, vista home premium etc..noticed some erratic internet connection problems 2 days into use..then after unit went to sleep, upon awakening no internet at all, just local connection. after an hour changing wires, setting, eliminating router and direct plug in cable modem..still no internet connection. vistas built in troubleshooter couldnt fix it.finally threw in a network card to go around the built in system network card..and yes have internet now through the added in card.has anyone seen this motherboard exhibit this kind of problems? am I screwed into getting another motherboard? thank goodness its under warranty..

Libertysyclone
04-06-08, 11:10 PM
check for a bios update. I know that asus has had some issues with their 7050pv that sound the same that have been fixed with a bios update.

workingman
04-06-08, 11:25 PM
it was my understanding thar when i picked up the system last week the tech had gone "over and above" to fine tune the system..so hopefully its drivers instead of hardware..

mullet
04-07-08, 12:33 AM
1. When you plug a cat5 cable in the onboard Ethernet do you see any lights on the back at the port or a light on the port its pluged into the router or plugged directly to the modem?

2. Can you pull a 192.168. address off the router?

3. Have you turned off all internet security software?

4. Can you see on the onboard NIC port to see if any of the pins are bent?

5. in network place's does it show the onboard NIC disabled, bridged, disconnected even with a cat5 cable plugged in?

Technoholic
04-07-08, 03:08 AM
I had that motherboard before, and I had no problem, even on Vista 32-bit, donno about yours though.

Best BIOS for your information is around 800's versions. My favorite, best overclocking abilities.

Dazz
04-07-08, 08:12 AM
Funny enough working for the largest ISp in the UK we have came across a number of problems with some routers and Network cards where it should run at 100mbps and our BT Home Hubs where the NIC would drop out and need to reboot the PC. Changing the NIC cards speeds from full duplex to 10mbps seemed to fix it from device manager.

workingman
04-07-08, 10:17 PM
Yes I have lights camera but no action..both lights are lit when the cable is plugged into the back of the onboard ethernet, from the router and directly from the cable modem.

All security was disabled..firewall, virus scanner etc..but mind you..this thing screamed out of the box till I put it to sleep before going up to dinner..instead of the usual turning it off for the night..upon returing 2 hours later..everything worked just like before but no internet.reboot after reboot..resetting router..directly from cable modem to back of cpu..nothing..

No pins bent..have two ethernet openings..trying both still doesnt produce any internet surfing abilities..

device manager says all is well and working fine and everything is enabled.

in network settings in vista..you have the computer icon with a line leading to the internet with a BIG red X saying no connection..and..it cant see the router at all..like it lists it now with a spare card in to keep me online till i get aholdof the computer builder..

and how does one find the bios version on this system to see if its up to date?..

HaVoK-G2
04-07-08, 10:33 PM
I heard of this when I had a problem yesterday with my 790i board, network ports just stopped working out of no where, spent around two hours looking for fixes and saw something similar to what you're mentioning. (Fix for me was to turn the computer off + unplug the power supply for five minutes then boot back up and network ports were working again, heard nvidia NAM can causes problems too, uninstalled that aswell)

But what I heard for the problem you described try:
Control Panel
Device Manager
Look under network adapters
Right click on your ethernet card/onboard ethernet, properties, Power management
Try unchecking "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"
Reboot

(If it doesn't work, I saw some people re enabling "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" then rebooting again and reporting it worked)

workingman
04-07-08, 11:09 PM
Ok,,WTF..plugged back into the onboard ethernet and...here i am..works like a charm..screaming away..hopefully it'll stay working..one last thing,,went to properties..saw a listing for Ipv4 connectivity..says internet..and Ipv6 connectivity..says limited.whats that all mean? thanks again to all the replied..

Technoholic
04-08-08, 12:08 AM
Maybe disabled and enabled it and rebooting helped? Sometimes rebooting helps...

mullet
04-08-08, 01:53 AM
Cool!!

workingman
04-08-08, 09:58 PM
Update to the ethernet mess on new computer..Computers working fine ..has settled down and no more problems..setting,setting,settings..but now....still trying to call the local computer shop for 3 days now..still no answer..did some digging and found out that after 10 plus years they went belly up just like that..there goes my year warranty...hopefully this thing wont die in the few days.lol