PDA

View Full Version : Can 8800gtx and ultra be SLIed?

kesker01
04-07-08, 05:59 AM
Hello

I have one ultra at the moment which i plan to sli it with a cheap gtx,is it possible with a bios flash or will it work just like different cards at ATI's crossfire?:afro2:

Regards..

Revs
04-07-08, 06:56 AM
No, only cards of the exact same type can be SLI'd. They can be from different makers, though.

kesker01
04-07-08, 07:39 AM
Thanks for quick reply:beer:

WeReWoLf
04-07-08, 07:53 AM
Theoretically the GTX could be flashed into an Ultra, but if you did and it dies, you can't RMA it.

r2d2d3d4d5
04-07-08, 09:21 AM
would it be better to flash the Ultra into a GTX?

JaxMacFL
04-07-08, 09:38 AM
I would say no because of the memory timings and the gpu voltage. The ultra has faster memory so memory timings are different and you would have to use NiBiTor to adjust accordingly. Also, it takes a hard mod to increase the gtx's gpu voltage from 1.30 to 1.35 (the ultra's gpu voltage). It would be best to use a higher clocked gtx bios (i.e. xfx xxx or evga ko) for higher default clocks or RivaTuner for higher customized clocks.

kesker01
04-07-08, 10:35 AM

I thought that for best compatibility,however there may be timing problems which JaxMacFL pointed.

I can flash it back with a spare pci vga unless it dies because of timings..

JaxMacFL
04-07-08, 11:06 AM

Oh, wow. Just reread your question. (Originally thought I read gtx to ultra.) In this case, of course, the hard mod would not come into play.

jcrox
04-07-08, 11:28 AM
Hello

I have one ultra at the moment which i plan to sli it with a cheap gtx,is it possible with a bios flash or will it work just like different cards at ATI's crossfire?:afro2:

Regards..

One would think using a GTX and Ultra in SLI would work, they are essentially the same chip just one of them over clocked. If you actually try it post your results will ya... I'm wondering if the driver might not let it work due to the GPUID's being different.

Soetdjuret
04-07-08, 11:53 AM
Would there be any problem matching a regular leadtek 8800gtx A2 revision, with the EVGA 8800gtx KO A3 revision? I know the A3 one overclocks better but will it work in SLI with the A2 one from leadtek?

jcrox
04-07-08, 01:59 PM
Would there be any problem matching a regular leadtek 8800gtx A2 revision, with the EVGA 8800gtx KO A3 revision? I know the A3 one overclocks better but will it work in SLI with the A2 one from leadtek?

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=111247

Soetdjuret
04-07-08, 03:55 PM
That didn't answer my question though...

Capt. Picard
04-07-08, 04:05 PM
Anything is compatible ... that is if the the right software has been developed. :D

To answer your question, for this problem, right now ... No.

jcrox
04-07-08, 04:08 PM
That didn't answer my question though...

Any 2 8800GTXs should work in SLI

Soetdjuret
04-07-08, 04:27 PM
Any 2 8800GTXs should work in SLI

Good, now i only wanna know if i can use different clocks on my cards when in SLI. I dont wanna underclock the EVGA card, as on the other hand i dont wanna push the leadtek one witch can't hold as high clocks.

jcrox
04-07-08, 04:42 PM
Good, now i only wanna know if i can use different clocks on my cards when in SLI. I dont wanna underclock the EVGA card, as on the other hand i dont wanna push the leadtek one witch can't hold as high clocks.

You can't run them at different speeds. The clocks on the cards will automatically sync according to which one is in the primary pci-e slot (usually the top card). So if you put the faster EVGA card in the top it will over clock the leadtek one to match the EVGA one's speeds and vice versa. At least this is how it is on my motherboard, as well as the 5 or 6 others I've tried it on. Regardless of which card's speeds the mother board chooses to set both cards at, you can't run them at different clocks.