PDA

View Full Version : Enableing Stereo support for 3d causes BSOD.

turdhat
04-07-08, 09:52 AM
I have tried the 174.74 and the latest official Stereo drivers from Nvidia. Any idea on what I could do to fix this ?

turdhat
04-08-08, 04:57 PM
Nada ? Really ? wow...

EciDemon
04-14-08, 04:55 AM
Got the same problem in xp, tried different drivers too.

Toss3
04-14-08, 05:38 AM
I have tried the 174.74 and the latest official Stereo drivers from Nvidia. Any idea on what I could do to fix this ?
I think stereo is only supported in vista 32-bit.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d_stereo.html

EciDemon
04-14-08, 05:53 AM
Found a small guide in the bigger stereo 3d thread to get it working in XP.
The stereo panel is there and everything after reg tweaking to get back the old controll panel, but when starting a game (any game it seems) it's instant bsod.
I tried vista64 too as I seem to recal people saying it should work there too, but got nothing.
A shame really as this means that the Zalman 3d screen would not work for me, not that im planing to buy one in the near future anyways *ps3 ps3 ps3*

EciDemon
04-28-08, 04:07 AM
*Update*
I got it working in Vista64 now on 8800GT :)

I downloaded 174.74 for vista64, i had to inf mod it to support my card, just did some copy and paste from a previous working version.

Then I installed the Stereo drivers for vista32, and indeed they work in vista64 too.
I managed to find a kids movie with 4 anaglyptic type glasses to test with.

Effect works quite well in Oblivion :)

EciDemon
04-28-08, 04:08 AM
edit: removed doubble post >_<

Toss3
04-28-08, 04:21 AM
edit: removed doubble post >_<
So what type of screen are you using? You mentioned something about the zalman 3d display? :)

EciDemon
04-28-08, 04:38 AM
No no, im on a normal 22" Flatscreen. What I mean is, if I can get anaglyptic (red/cyan) working with my setup (8800Gt, officially it should only work on 9xxx series in vista32 yet), then the zalman monitor would also work as it's the same driver I belive, just a different 3d mode.

When I launch a game with stereo 3d enabled I always get the message "Only anaglyptic mode is available on this screen"

They have those monitors here at the local puter store, but no demo ex yet :(
Id love to see it first hand.
The 3d effect do work pretty well with some games using red/cyan glasses (fps seems to drop somewhat), but it get tiresom after a while and you get some slight ghosting as it's only color filters, the real color of the game also gets all wrong of course.

The zalman uses a polarized screen with matching glasses, so colors are not affected, it also displaces every other line to get the screen to render from two viewpoints at once.

Imo, those monitors costs a bit too much compared to how good support in games is so I wont buy one any time soon, but they have sparked my intrest thats for sure :)
and if they drop in price in the future, maybe hehe

Toss3
04-28-08, 04:46 AM
Did you see the review (http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/1391/1/page_1_introduction/index.html) of the zalman already? The amount of games supported is pretty high as well, but the price could be a bit lower. :o
EDIT: Wrong link, woops :o

EciDemon
04-28-08, 05:08 AM
I just drew the resonable conclution that support isnt that good based on the game profile tab in the stereo 3d panel, its a long list but many games are quite old, you can also see a rating from 1 to 5 where 1 is good and 5 is bad on each game listed, along with required game settings and such to get it working.
When I tried with Dark Messiah for example, game GUI is separated in 3d too, but its static 2d and it makes it very hard to read and view gui. The game it self worked fine.

Im gonna have another go at this in xp again, and see if i can get this working there too
Guide for xp at: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1616707&postcount=66
But the nvidia drivers i tested with (those listed in the guide) produces Bsod as soon as I start a game, and they bsod from time to time with stereo3d disabled too, so I reverted back to older working ones.