PDA

View Full Version : 20 Years of Vegetation in Computer Games

ChaoticNick
04-07-08, 04:36 PM
http://www.pcgameshardware.de/aid,638896/News/PCGH_looks_back_on_20_years_of_vegetation_in_compu ter_games/

To illustrate nature physically and optically correct confronts developers of computer games with several problems. Because of the organic appearance it is difficult to animate trees and flowers in every detail. This would need too much of the system performance.
For displaying nature physically correct today - you might guess - physic-engines are used. But only a few years ago real-time calculating of physic-behavior was unthinkable, resulting in trees that did not move with the wind or were unimpressed by any force used on them. Only single animation or a scripted sequence could bring live to vegetation. But those movements got repeated time after time and realism got cut down. No one ever thought about the correct display of unscheduled situations caused by the player.

Presenting a correct visualization of nature itself is equally difficult. Enormous processing power is required to display the huge number of polygons needed to create an organic appearance. Textures represent a compromise between visual appearance and performance. With bump-mapping a tree trunk can be provided with optical depth. If the irregular surface of the bark had to be realized with polygons, development would take too long and displaying in real-time would exceed current hardware's capability.

PCGH takes a look at the history of vegetation in computer games and presents some examples of the past 20 years of artificial jungle. The range of pictures reaches from Super Hang On to Alan Wake.

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/?menu=browser&article_id=638896

What will the next 20 years bring? :captnkill:

nutcrackr
04-07-08, 05:26 PM
I remember quite a few of those old games, is it really fair to put in those unreleased titles at the end though?

crainger
04-07-08, 06:06 PM
Where was Monkey Island? It was the first with advanced palm free physics.

SH64
04-07-08, 06:12 PM
The water evolution section looks more interesting!
http://i25.tinypic.com/2wd2az4.jpg

Nice waters :naughty:

NarcissistZero
04-07-08, 06:42 PM
Man... Alan Wake better actually come out.

crainger
04-07-08, 06:47 PM
I will. 3D Realms just forgot about it for a bit.

Imbroglio
04-07-08, 10:08 PM
I will.

So who had 2008-04-05 as the day Crainger came out of the closet? I was off by a year :thumbdwn:

mojoman0
04-07-08, 10:13 PM
why the hell is that ugly test drive game after Far Cry? By the time Alan Wake ever comes out it won't be that impressive either. Remember Crysis like 2 years ago?

methimpikehoses
04-07-08, 10:54 PM
I wonder if the feds nabbed Jonelo.

I liked the palm leaves I saw in all the Crysis preview videos... you know, the ones that were way better than the ones in the actual game release.

crainger
04-07-08, 11:11 PM
So who had 2008-04-05 as the day Crainger came out of the closet? I was off by a year :thumbdwn:

God damn it.

jcrox
04-07-08, 11:59 PM
that Alan Wake pic suddenly doesn't look all that jaw dropping anymore

crainger
04-08-08, 01:21 AM
Stop being so jaded jcrox. Reported to CaptNKILL for immediate ban.

egamer11
04-08-08, 02:01 AM
1:1 At the first God made the heaven and the earth.
1:2 And the earth was waste and without form; and it was dark on the face of the deep: and the Spirit of God was moving on the face of the waters.
1:3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.
1:4 And God, looking on the light, saw that it was good: and God made a division between the light and the dark,
1:5 Naming the light, Day, and the dark, Night. And there was evening and there was morning, the first day.
1:6 And God said, Let there be a solid arch stretching over the waters, parting the waters from the waters.
1:7 And God made the arch for a division between the waters which were under the arch and those which were over it: and it was so.
1:8 And God gave the arch the name of Heaven. And there was evening and there was morning, the second day.
1:9 And God said, Let the waters under the heaven come together in one place, and let the dry land be seen: and it was so.
1:10 And God gave the dry land the name of Earth; and the waters together in their place were named Seas: and God saw that it was good.
1:11 And God said, Let grass come up on the earth, and plants producing seed, and fruit-trees giving fruit, in which is their seed, after their sort: and it was so.
1:12 And grass came up on the earth, and every plant producing seed of its sort, and every tree producing fruit, in which is its seed, of its sort: and God saw that it was good.
1:13 And there was evening and there was morning, the third day.
1:14 And God said, Let there be lights in the arch of heaven, for a division between the day and the night, and let them be for signs, and for marking the changes of the year, and for days and for years:
1:15 And let them be for lights in the arch of heaven to give light on the earth: and it was so.
1:16 And God made the two great lights: the greater light to be the ruler of the day, and the smaller light to be the ruler of the night: and he made the stars.
1:17 And God put them in the arch of heaven, to give light on the earth;
1:18 To have rule over the day and the night, and for a division between the light and the dark: and God saw that it was good.
1:19 And there was evening and there was morning, the fourth day.
1:20 And God said, Let the waters be full of living things, and let birds be in flight over the earth under the arch of heaven.
1:21 And God made great sea-beasts, and every sort of living and moving thing with which the waters were full, and every sort of winged bird: and God saw that it was good.
1:22 And God gave them his blessing, saying, Be fertile and have increase, making all the waters of the seas full, and let the birds be increased in the earth.
1:23 And there was evening and there was morning, the fifth day.
1:24 And God said, Let the earth give birth to all sorts of living things, cattle and all things moving on the earth, and beasts of the earth after their sort: and it was so.
1:25 And God made the beast of the earth after its sort, and the cattle after their sort, and everything moving on the face of the earth after its sort: and God saw that it was good.
1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, like us: and let him have rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the air and over the cattle and over all the earth and over every living thing which goes flat on the earth.
1:27 And God made man in his image, in the image of God he made him: male and female he made them.
1:28 And God gave them his blessing and said to them, Be fertile and have increase, and make the earth full and be masters of it; be rulers over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the air and over every living thing moving on the earth.
1:29 And God said, See, I have given you every plant producing seed, on the face of all the earth, and every tree which has fruit producing seed: they will be for your food:
1:30 And to every beast of the earth and to every bird of the air and every living thing moving on the face of the earth I have given every green plant for food: and it was so.
1:31 And God saw everything which he had made and it was very good. And there was evening and there was morning, the sixth day.

every game progrmer should read this!

crainger
04-08-08, 02:12 AM
But it's so long!

This is worse than an episode of Final Fantasy Theatre.

Thingding
04-08-08, 05:25 AM
Ladies and gentlemen: The bible.

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

crainger
04-08-08, 05:36 AM
1 Oh hai. In teh beginnin Ceiling Cat maded teh skiez An da Urfs, but he did not eated dem.

2 Da Urfs no had shapez An haded dark face, An Ceiling Cat rode invisible bike over teh waterz.

3 At start, no has lyte. An Ceiling Cat sayz, i can haz lite? An lite wuz.4 An Ceiling Cat sawed teh lite, to seez stuffs, An splitted teh lite from dark but taht wuz ok cuz kittehs can see in teh dark An not tripz over nethin.5 An Ceiling Cat sayed light Day An dark no Day. It were FURST!!!1

6 An Ceiling Cat sayed, im in ur waterz makin a ceiling. But he no yet make a ur. An he maded a hole in teh Ceiling.7 An Ceiling Cat doed teh skiez with waterz down An waterz up. It happen.8 An Ceiling Cat sayed, i can has teh firmmint wich iz funny bibel naim 4 ceiling, so wuz teh twoth day.

9 An Ceiling Cat gotted all teh waterz in ur base, An Ceiling Cat hadz dry placez cuz kittehs DO NOT WANT get wet.10 An Ceiling Cat called no waterz urth and waters oshun. Iz good.

11 An Ceiling Cat sayed, DO WANT grass! so tehr wuz seedz An stufs, An fruitzors An vegbatels. An a Corm. It happen.12 An Ceiling Cat sawed that weedz ish good, so, letz there be weedz.13 An so teh threeth day jazzhands.

14 An Ceiling Cat sayed, i can has lightz in the skiez for splittin day An no day.15 It happen, lights everwear, like christmass, srsly.16 An Ceiling Cat doeth two grate lightz, teh most big for day, teh other for no day.17 An Ceiling Cat screw tehm on skiez, with big nails An stuff, to lite teh Urfs.18 An tehy rulez day An night. Ceiling Cat sawed. Iz good.19 An so teh furth day w00t.

20 An Ceiling Cat sayed, waterz bring me phishes, An burds, so kittehs can eat dem. But Ceiling Cat no eated dem.21 An Ceiling Cat maed big fishies An see monstrs, which wuz like big cows, except they no mood, An other stuffs dat mooves, An Ceiling Cat sawed iz good.22 An Ceiling Cat sed O hai, make bebehs kthx. An dont worry i wont watch u secksy, i not that kynd uf kitteh.23 An so teh...fith day. Ceiling Cat taek a wile 2 cawnt.

24 An Ceiling Cat sayed, i can has MOAR living stuff, mooes, An creepie tings, An otehr aminals. It happen so tehre.25 An Ceiling Cat doed moar living stuff, mooes, An creepies, An otehr animuls, An did not eated tehm.

26 An Ceiling Cat sayed, letz us do peeps like uz, becuz we ish teh qte, An let min p0wnz0r becuz tehy has can openers.

27 So Ceiling Cat createded teh peeps taht waz like him, can has can openers he maed tehm, min An womin wuz maeded, but he did not eated tehm.

28 An Ceiling Cat sed them O hai maek bebehs kthx, An p0wn teh waterz, no waterz An teh firmmint, An evry stufs.

29 An Ceiling Cat sayed, Beholdt, the Urfs, I has it, An I has not eated it.30 For evry createded stufs tehre are the fuudz, to the burdies, teh creepiez, An teh mooes, so tehre. It happen. Iz good.

31 An Ceiling Cat sayed, Beholdt, teh good enouf for releaze as version 0.8a. kthxbai.

Revs
04-08-08, 06:04 AM
:udawg:

6 An Ceiling Cat sayed, im in ur waterz makin a ceiling. But he no yet make a ur. An he maded a hole in teh Ceiling

Thingding
04-08-08, 07:21 AM
Simultaneously one of the best and hardest to read posts of the year.
Five claps out of five.

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

sytaylor
04-08-08, 08:37 AM
But it's so long!

Please get back in the closet.

crainger
04-08-08, 05:03 PM
No my son. I must return to the ceiling.

Destroy
04-08-08, 05:32 PM
1:1 At the first God made the heaven and the earth.
<snip bunches>
every game programmer should read this!

I just care about the boobies.