PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with 8800 series GPUs game with multiple monitors?

hapooh
04-07-08, 04:46 PM
I am thinking about setting up 3 monitors to expand the view to ultra wide view for gaming (i.e. 3 x 1280 x 1024 monitors = 3840 x 1024 display). I already have the 3 monitors and 2 8800GTX's, so it's no additional out of cost expense.

I know SLI won't work with multi-monitors, and there's the after market Matrox TripleHead2Go product which will do this for $300. But I just want to use my existing hardware.

So any feedback from others that have tried to do this, and their experiences would be appreciated....

Bman212121
04-07-08, 05:01 PM
The matrox TH2G is your only option. You can take and run certain games in windowed mode, and they will run across 3 monitors right now. Not all games will do this however. There is no way to stretch your display across 3 displays in full screen mode, so any game that doesn't run in a window will only show up on one monitor.

The TH2G makes your computer think you only have 1 monitor, so you can use SLI with it and get the best performance out of your cards. The other advantage is that it has certain tweaks specifically for multi-monitor such as bezel management, which will allow you to compensate for the extra width between screens.

I have tested 3 monitors across 2 GPUs, and I know it does work in windowed mode. The game I tested with Unreal 2004. It runs pretty well like that but I can't say as I've tried too many other games.

ricercar
04-11-08, 06:42 PM
What am I missing here? Is there some reason you haven't connected two displays to one graphics card, and the other display to the third graphics card?

Why do you need a Matrox card? Is this to create one logical display port with all three physical displays? That's the only reason I can see, but I'm possibly misunderstanding the question.

gzunk
04-12-08, 05:15 PM
Lets look at the facts:

1) You can connect three moniters at the moment, no problems. Windows sees a very big desktop.

2) Except that windows knows that it's three monitors. And so do games. So unless a game specifically supports multiple monitors (or supports running in multiple windows like flight simulators normally can) then you generally speaking can use only one of those for "full screen".

3) You used to be able to set up your monitors as "span" such that windows would see only a single monitor and the graphics driver would fake it across the two monitors. That's fine when you have two monitors, but ... when you have 3 monitors, spread over 2 different cards then the driver craps out. Essentially what you get again is multi-monitor mode, with one virtual monitor across two physical monitors and then your third.

So your choices are: if you run flight sims or other software that understand multiple monitors, turn off SLI and enjoy multiple monitor goodness. Otherwise, choose your biggest monitor and do your gaming on that.

jolle
04-12-08, 06:21 PM
What am I missing here? Is there some reason you haven't connected two displays to one graphics card, and the other display to the third graphics card?

Why do you need a Matrox card? Is this to create one logical display port with all three physical displays? That's the only reason I can see, but I'm possibly misunderstanding the question.
Matrox Triplehead isnt a card, its a splitter or something(dunno what to call it really)
You connect the output to it, and use a 3x wide resolution, and it splits the image up across 3 monitors for you.
http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews/TripleHeadReview/index.htm

One big "spanning" desktop works different then 1 wide and 1 regular set together, as mentioned above.