PDA

View Full Version : Low-profile half-height backplate??

gendokai
04-08-08, 10:17 AM
Hi,

I'm looking to upgrade the graphics card in my Dell Inspiron 530s.
Having trouble finding a reasonable graphics card that will fit (low-profile, half-height)

It ships with a 2400xt card, which is okay, my main use of the PC is obviously not gaming, but I do like to have a blast now and again. The box is fairly quick (Intel Core 2 duo 3ghz, 3GB ram etc..) and I'm sure it could give a decent gaming experience, but the bottleneck is currently with the graphics adapter.

The only other one I have been able to find is a GeForce 8500GT...although I am not sure that this would be a vast improvement on what I have.

Cheers

Revs
04-08-08, 11:13 AM
Welcome to the forum.

I've been looking for the same thing recently for a Shuttle PC my mate has, but i'm affraid it came to a dead end. I couldn't find anything I would consider a gaming card that was a low profile type.

Looking at your PC on Google, it doesn't look like it would need LP card. The case looks big enough. What's stopping you fitting a larger card in?

gendokai
04-08-08, 03:06 PM
hi,

thanks for the welcome.

The case is slimmer then standard roughly 2/3 the size of a normal case, and the the adapter backplates are tiny...on the 2400xt there is only enough space to fit one dvi connector..thats it.

XFX Support
04-08-08, 04:16 PM
I believe the best performing low profile video card would be the 8400GS. It may not be the best gaming video card out there, but will help out with your current situation.

gendokai
04-10-08, 04:49 AM
Thanks,

Is the 8400GS better than the 8500GT?

SLippe
04-10-08, 04:54 AM
Thanks,

Is the 8400GS better than the 8500GT?
No. Check out the chart here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Nvidia_Graphics_Processing_Units). Just scroll down to the 8 series cards. You'll see it starts with the 8400GS.