PDA

View Full Version : switch cpus without reinstalling windows

tornadog
04-10-08, 06:43 PM
I traded my q6600 for the e8400. Do I have to reinstall windows or is there anyway I can remove the processor from device manager and make it detect the new processor?

wollyka
04-10-08, 06:57 PM
i think there is no problem as long as the motherboard is the same, Windows will autodetect the new CPU..
I didn't have to install to do that going from E6600 to Q6600.just remove the old cpu, plug the new one and all should be fine.. Hell i even update from nforce4+Athlon64 X2 4400+ to E6600+nforce 680i without formatting.. I only removed the AMD CPU driver and chipset drivers before putting the new intel CPU and it worked!!

ViN86
04-10-08, 07:01 PM
i think there is no problem as long as the motherboard is the same, Windows will autodetect the new CPU..
I didn't have to install to do that going from E6600 to Q6600.just remove the old cpu, plug the new one and all should be fine.. Hell i even update from nforce4+Athlon64 X2 4400+ to E6600+nforce 680i without formatting.. I only removed the AMD CPU driver and chipset drivers before putting the new intel CPU and it worked!!
+1

im pretty sure you can just switch it out and itll be ok.

mullet
04-11-08, 12:43 AM
Yeah, no biggy. Make sure your Bios is updated for the new cpu. Reset all bios settings to default. Replace chip and enjoy.

-=DVS=-
04-11-08, 12:51 AM
Meh reinstalling is overrated , i switched out AMD cpu + mobo for Intel cpu + mobo , had to wait extra minute at bootup untill windows sorted it self out , everything is fine :p

pkirby11
04-11-08, 05:38 PM
Usually if you are going from one chipset to a different one Windows can and most likely will BSOD. However changing CPU's shouldn't cause any hiccups at all, it should boot up normally and be fine, should being the keyword here. :)

With a motherboard switch almost always be ready for a OS reinstall unless going from one motherboard to another with the same chipset. In this case you have to remember that things such as your ATA controllers and such usually reside on the motherboard. If Windows can't recognize them to initilize them then you will get errors.

Tygerwoody
04-11-08, 07:14 PM
Meh reinstalling is overrated , i switched out AMD cpu + mobo for Intel cpu + mobo , had to wait extra minute at bootup untill windows sorted it self out , everything is fine :p
your PC is probably 1/4th as fast as it should be too.

For swapping out a CPU, nothing needs to be done.

For swapping out a motherboard, its mandatory to reinstall Windows unless you want shady performance.

CaptNKILL
04-11-08, 07:57 PM
For swapping out a motherboard, its mandatory to reinstall Windows unless you want shady performance.
Generally, yes, but I've seen several systems run and perform just fine after a complete mobo+cpu swap.

If you properly uninstall and clean out your old drivers you'll avoid a lot of problems.

pkirby11
04-11-08, 08:49 PM
Generally, yes, but I've seen several systems run and perform just fine after a complete mobo+cpu swap.

If you properly uninstall and clean out your old drivers you'll avoid a lot of problems.

Usually yes but if you are going from one ATA controller to a completely new controller, especially ones that may require drivers Windows doesn't have will result in BSOD. Windows won't know were the hard drivers are. :D I had that happen once and no matter what I did there was no getting around the whole reinstall process.

XDanger
04-11-08, 08:50 PM
Last time I swapped a mobo it just wanted the new chipset drivers and was fine.

CaptNKILL
04-11-08, 09:01 PM
Usually yes but if you are going from one ATA controller to a completely new controller, especially ones that may require drivers Windows doesn't have will result in BSOD. Windows won't know were the hard drivers are. :D I had that happen once and no matter what I did there was no getting around the whole reinstall process.
I got around this once by uninstalling the old chipset drivers in safe mode, restarting and then shutting down and replacing the board.

Windows has basic ata drivers for most chipsets. In cases where you'd have to insert the ATA driver CD before installing windows you could probably just install the drivers in windows before swapping the motherboard.

If you don't do this, I don't think the drive will even be available to boot from. And you'll get a NTLDR missing error.

grey_1
04-11-08, 09:51 PM
Yeah, no biggy. Make sure your Bios is updated for the new cpu. Reset all bios settings to default. Replace chip and enjoy.
Worked perfectly for me.

Mr Bigman
04-11-08, 10:54 PM
If your running Vista, you may have issues.

I did a CPu swap from an 3800 X2 to a 6400 X2 and even though they were AMD, i got DRM errors and tuners quit working. I had to removed a file to reset DRM to reset but was fine after that but that was before SP1.